20th High School Reunion

CSalomonson

Hi,

In two weeks I will be attending my 20th high school reunion. I was adult-diagnosed and I don't think anyone knows I have CF except for my twin sister. CF doesn't define me and I graduated froom college and have had several successful jobs, but I am not working now for a variety of medical reasons. I am on SSDI. I have never been to a class reunion (I skipped my 10th) and I am anxious about seeing old classmates who may ask me a lot of questions. I was my class Salutatorian and come from a very well known family locally and a relatively small hometown, and in my class of only 100 students, reputation is everything and everybody knows your name.

My question is how have you handled your high school reunions for those adults who have experienced them, and how have they gone? I am pretty sure I will not mention that I have CF unless I am somehow cornered. Perhaps it will never come up and I will just have a great time seeing old classmates and everything will be fine. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you and have a great day.

CSalomonson

Hi,

In two weeks I will be attending my 20th high school reunion. I was adult-diagnosed and I don't think anyone knows I have CF except for my twin sister. CF doesn't define me and I graduated froom college and have had several successful jobs, but I am not working now for a variety of medical reasons. I am on SSDI. I have never been to a class reunion (I skipped my 10th) and I am anxious about seeing old classmates who may ask me a lot of questions. I was my class Salutatorian and come from a very well known family locally and a relatively small hometown, and in my class of only 100 students, reputation is everything and everybody knows your name.

My question is how have you handled your high school reunions for those adults who have experienced them, and how have they gone? I am pretty sure I will not mention that I have CF unless I am somehow cornered. Perhaps it will never come up and I will just have a great time seeing old classmates and everything will be fine. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you and have a great day.

CSalomonson

Hi,

CSalomonson

Hi,

CSalomonson

Hi,
<br />
<br />In two weeks I will be attending my 20th high school reunion. I was adult-diagnosed and I don't think anyone knows I have CF except for my twin sister. CF doesn't define me and I graduated froom college and have had several successful jobs, but I am not working now for a variety of medical reasons. I am on SSDI. I have never been to a class reunion (I skipped my 10th) and I am anxious about seeing old classmates who may ask me a lot of questions. I was my class Salutatorian and come from a very well known family locally and a relatively small hometown, and in my class of only 100 students, reputation is everything and everybody knows your name.
<br />
<br />My question is how have you handled your high school reunions for those adults who have experienced them, and how have they gone? I am pretty sure I will not mention that I have CF unless I am somehow cornered. Perhaps it will never come up and I will just have a great time seeing old classmates and everything will be fine. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you and have a great day.

JazzysMom

I know that your adult dx makes you fresh to the whole scene, but I, personally, would recommend ceasing the chance to educate.

You know the usual questions that are asked at a reunion so for you to be able to "hide" the fact might have them come up with their own scenarios which is often worse.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

I know that your adult dx makes you fresh to the whole scene, but I, personally, would recommend ceasing the chance to educate.

You know the usual questions that are asked at a reunion so for you to be able to "hide" the fact might have them come up with their own scenarios which is often worse.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />You know the usual questions that are asked at a reunion so for you to be able to "hide" the fact might have them come up with their own scenarios which is often worse.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

LisaV

I don't have CF myself so my thoughts are just that thoughts - not based on experience of CF. I have had a 20th Hs reunion and the one thing I found interesting about mine was that by that time the competitiveness had gone out of the reunions.

By our 20th people were beginning to have bad stuff happen to them that was from none of their doing. It did not define them. It did enlarge them - mark them as folks with a particular resilience- folks with truely strong reputations.

I'd just be frank. Heck we can all use all of the friends we can get. Being honest with our first friends can renew the intimacy and give us friends for life we didn't know we had.

LisaV

I don't have CF myself so my thoughts are just that thoughts - not based on experience of CF. I have had a 20th Hs reunion and the one thing I found interesting about mine was that by that time the competitiveness had gone out of the reunions.

By our 20th people were beginning to have bad stuff happen to them that was from none of their doing. It did not define them. It did enlarge them - mark them as folks with a particular resilience- folks with truely strong reputations.

I'd just be frank. Heck we can all use all of the friends we can get. Being honest with our first friends can renew the intimacy and give us friends for life we didn't know we had.

LisaV

LisaV

LisaV

<br />
<br />By our 20th people were beginning to have bad stuff happen to them that was from none of their doing. It did not define them. It did enlarge them - mark them as folks with a particular resilience- folks with truely strong reputations.
<br />
<br />I'd just be frank. Heck we can all use all of the friends we can get. Being honest with our first friends can renew the intimacy and give us friends for life we didn't know we had.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I will answer from the perspective of someone who has attended their 20th (and 30th) reunion. I can tell you what to expect from the event.

At the 20th reunion most people were settled in their adult selves, it wasn't as cliquey as high school. They were happy to make connections, reminiscing about childhood and elementary school. The rest was mostly small talk "are you still living nearby, married, kids, job?" Not much conversation was of great substance. Thus, you may not have the opportunity to speak candidly and in depth about your illness.

I did not share the fact that both my children have CF and my friend who went with me did not share the fact that her husband recently died of cancer. It didn't seen like the right time. Of course, we didn't hide it, it just didn't come up. You might want to send a personal note later to those people you are closer to.

Have a great time and enjoy seeing your friends again without the pressure to disclose all of your intimate details right up front.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I will answer from the perspective of someone who has attended their 20th (and 30th) reunion. I can tell you what to expect from the event.

At the 20th reunion most people were settled in their adult selves, it wasn't as cliquey as high school. They were happy to make connections, reminiscing about childhood and elementary school. The rest was mostly small talk "are you still living nearby, married, kids, job?" Not much conversation was of great substance. Thus, you may not have the opportunity to speak candidly and in depth about your illness.

I did not share the fact that both my children have CF and my friend who went with me did not share the fact that her husband recently died of cancer. It didn't seen like the right time. Of course, we didn't hide it, it just didn't come up. You might want to send a personal note later to those people you are closer to.

Have a great time and enjoy seeing your friends again without the pressure to disclose all of your intimate details right up front.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />At the 20th reunion most people were settled in their adult selves, it wasn't as cliquey as high school. They were happy to make connections, reminiscing about childhood and elementary school. The rest was mostly small talk "are you still living nearby, married, kids, job?" Not much conversation was of great substance. Thus, you may not have the opportunity to speak candidly and in depth about your illness.
<br />
<br />I did not share the fact that both my children have CF and my friend who went with me did not share the fact that her husband recently died of cancer. It didn't seen like the right time. Of course, we didn't hide it, it just didn't come up. You might want to send a personal note later to those people you are closer to.
<br />
<br />Have a great time and enjoy seeing your friends again without the pressure to disclose all of your intimate details right up front.
<br />
<br />