ConnorsMom

Joining the military with cystic fibrosis

Jimmy your ambition is commendable!! I hate that CF has to hold you, and anyone else, back. My son has wanted nothing but to be 'an Army man' since he could talk!! My husband has been in the Air Force for 22+ years, and many in my family have served, including myself, so I know where he gets the urge. Unfortunately, they don't currently allow anyone with CF, however I do know there is a Navy officer who was diagnosed after he was enlisted, and he hasn't been forced out. I have to disagree with 'enzymesrfun' on the quality of people being enlisted at the moemnt. We are so short on people and even shorter on money, that our recruiters (for all branches) are recruiting anyone and everyone. Someone with CF however, would never be considered able to deploy, and therefore would not be considered an asset to any branch. But Jimmy, I hope you will persue your interest and ask each branch recruiter to look into the possiblity. With the way the outlook for Cfer's has changed over the years maybe there is a chance. You could be the one to forge the way!!

ConnorsMom

Jimmy your ambition is commendable!! I hate that CF has to hold you, and anyone else, back. My son has wanted nothing but to be 'an Army man' since he could talk!! My husband has been in the Air Force for 22+ years, and many in my family have served, including myself, so I know where he gets the urge. Unfortunately, they don't currently allow anyone with CF, however I do know there is a Navy officer who was diagnosed after he was enlisted, and he hasn't been forced out. I have to disagree with 'enzymesrfun' on the quality of people being enlisted at the moemnt. We are so short on people and even shorter on money, that our recruiters (for all branches) are recruiting anyone and everyone. Someone with CF however, would never be considered able to deploy, and therefore would not be considered an asset to any branch. But Jimmy, I hope you will persue your interest and ask each branch recruiter to look into the possiblity. With the way the outlook for Cfer's has changed over the years maybe there is a chance. You could be the one to forge the way!!

ConnorsMom

ConnorsMom

ConnorsMom

cdale613

As others have said, they aren't going to let you in with CF. If you lie on your applications about pre-exisiting medical conditions, they will find out about your CF as soon as you try to fill a bunch of specialty prescriptions through your tri-care insurance, and that won't be good for you.

Your only long shot would be to learn arabic and farsi, or some other highly specialized skill that is desperately needed, which would mean going to college anyway.

Don't get too down. Your #1 goal shouldn't be joining the military. Your #1 goal should be maintaining your health that enables you play lacrosse, run marathons, do triathlons, and dream about the military. It is the same health status that will let you pick whatever civilian career you want, have a family, and live a full life.

I know how you feel, really. I have CF, but I'm also in the .000001 percent of the world population who has run a 4:30 mile and a 55 minute 15k, and completed a half-ironman. I am still in amazing shape, and take great pride in being far "healthier" and athletic than virtually everyone I see walking down the street. I hate it when people prejudge my abilities when they hear I have CF, and go to great lengths to prove them wrong.

I was also a "Boys' State" participant from my high school, and spoke to many military recruiters through that experience. My family has a legacy of military service that I realized I would not be a part of. I wasn't 100% set on joining, but it was amazing how fast they hung up the phone when I told them, well, "I'm interested but I have CF... but I'm very healthy, I run cross-country and track". Click.

Frankly, joining the military is not consistent with the #1 goal of maintaining your health. The only way you are going to maintain your current, impressive, level of fitness is by maintaining compliance with your airway clearance and drug routine (and continuing to exercise). You may not be all that compliant with your meds now (I have no idea), but if you want to do triathlons when you're in your 30's, focus on maintaining every percent of your lung function WHILE YOU HAVE IT.

The military is not going to make exceptions for you to take 3 hours of nebs and chest PT every day during basic training, deployments, etc. Unfair? Maybe, but I can see why they don't, and its probably better for your long term health that they don't.

Now, just because you can't join the military doesn't mean you can't serve your country, or even do nothing military related. You're much better off going to college, earning a degree that will provide you with better salary and stable health insurance. Pick something like computer science or engineering, and go to work for Lockheed Martin building jets.

If you want to talk about training for that marathon or tri, or need someone to talk to about figuring out what you might like to do after high school, feel free to PM me.

Best,

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

As others have said, they aren't going to let you in with CF. If you lie on your applications about pre-exisiting medical conditions, they will find out about your CF as soon as you try to fill a bunch of specialty prescriptions through your tri-care insurance, and that won't be good for you.

Your only long shot would be to learn arabic and farsi, or some other highly specialized skill that is desperately needed, which would mean going to college anyway.

Don't get too down. Your #1 goal shouldn't be joining the military. Your #1 goal should be maintaining your health that enables you play lacrosse, run marathons, do triathlons, and dream about the military. It is the same health status that will let you pick whatever civilian career you want, have a family, and live a full life.

I know how you feel, really. I have CF, but I'm also in the .000001 percent of the world population who has run a 4:30 mile and a 55 minute 15k, and completed a half-ironman. I am still in amazing shape, and take great pride in being far "healthier" and athletic than virtually everyone I see walking down the street. I hate it when people prejudge my abilities when they hear I have CF, and go to great lengths to prove them wrong.

I was also a "Boys' State" participant from my high school, and spoke to many military recruiters through that experience. My family has a legacy of military service that I realized I would not be a part of. I wasn't 100% set on joining, but it was amazing how fast they hung up the phone when I told them, well, "I'm interested but I have CF... but I'm very healthy, I run cross-country and track". Click.

Frankly, joining the military is not consistent with the #1 goal of maintaining your health. The only way you are going to maintain your current, impressive, level of fitness is by maintaining compliance with your airway clearance and drug routine (and continuing to exercise). You may not be all that compliant with your meds now (I have no idea), but if you want to do triathlons when you're in your 30's, focus on maintaining every percent of your lung function WHILE YOU HAVE IT.

The military is not going to make exceptions for you to take 3 hours of nebs and chest PT every day during basic training, deployments, etc. Unfair? Maybe, but I can see why they don't, and its probably better for your long term health that they don't.

Now, just because you can't join the military doesn't mean you can't serve your country, or even do nothing military related. You're much better off going to college, earning a degree that will provide you with better salary and stable health insurance. Pick something like computer science or engineering, and go to work for Lockheed Martin building jets.

If you want to talk about training for that marathon or tri, or need someone to talk to about figuring out what you might like to do after high school, feel free to PM me.

Best,

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Best,

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Best,

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Best,

Chris

27 m w/CF

S

semperfiohana

my husband is in the marine corps. there is a run that marine corps does every year, but even doing it i don't think they would let you in. making sure you always had enyzmes i don't believe would be something they would have top prioty on. not to mention if you were to lie to get in and they found out, you would be dishonarbly discharged and charged with perjury i think is what it is. i don't mean to be discouraging by any means. but i just don't want anyone to get in trouble. it sucks, but sadly that's the way the world works. kinda dumb how just about ever single military person i know smokes. guess they just like to be picky!

S

semperfiohana

my husband is in the marine corps. there is a run that marine corps does every year, but even doing it i don't think they would let you in. making sure you always had enyzmes i don't believe would be something they would have top prioty on. not to mention if you were to lie to get in and they found out, you would be dishonarbly discharged and charged with perjury i think is what it is. i don't mean to be discouraging by any means. but i just don't want anyone to get in trouble. it sucks, but sadly that's the way the world works. kinda dumb how just about ever single military person i know smokes. guess they just like to be picky!

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana