6th grade and cystic fibrosis

Murgie

Can anyone enlighten me..
Sam has started 6th grade, Middle school here in CA, he is struggling with poor health, has missed 9 days already. Is WAY behind in class work, and I am overwhelmed.
He had a short hospital visit last week, ng tube to help him eliminate, it was a horrific experience. Sam now has a virus is on Cipro, and feels crummy.
What options are there? He has a 504 plan so the work is already modified.
If there are CF kids who have already experienced this , please tell me what worked for you.
I need to be a regular on this site, thanks for your support

Murgie

Sam has started 6th grade, Middle school here in CA, he is struggling with poor health, has missed 9 days already. Is WAY behind in class work, and I am overwhelmed.
He had a short hospital visit last week, ng tube to help him eliminate, it was a horrific experience. Sam now has a virus is on Cipro, and feels crummy.
If there are CF kids who have already experienced this , please tell me what worked for you.

Murgie

Murgie

Murgie

<br />Sam has started 6th grade, Middle school here in CA, he is struggling with poor health, has missed 9 days already. Is WAY behind in class work, and I am overwhelmed.
<br /> He had a short hospital visit last week, ng tube to help him eliminate, it was a horrific experience. Sam now has a virus is on Cipro, and feels crummy.
<br />What options are there? He has a 504 plan so the work is already modified.
<br /> If there are CF kids who have already experienced this , please tell me what worked for you.
<br />I need to be a regular on this site, thanks for your support

M

Mommafirst

I don't have experience with the schools yet, but I know there are some great moms and CF adults here that do -- I'm sure they will chime in soon.

I just wanted to send my well wishes and good thoughts to Sam.

M

Mommafirst

I don't have experience with the schools yet, but I know there are some great moms and CF adults here that do -- I'm sure they will chime in soon.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I just wanted to send my well wishes and good thoughts to Sam.

T

TonyaH

I am so sorry you're having a rough start to middle school. My son started middle school this year as well. It is such a different world, isn't it?

Andrew has not been out of school yet this year, so I can't say I know what you are going through. But from past years when he was in and out of the hospital, I can tell you that it is all about keeping up. Even when he was home sick, we had school time each day. I became his teacher. I know it's one more thing for moms to add to their plate, but it's all part of the CF fun. I'm glad you have the 504 plan in place so you don't have to worry about accumulating absences. Many school districts have home tutors that will come and help with school work right at your kitchen table!

I did want to ask you about the cipro, though. If he has a viral infection, why is it being treated with an antibiotic? Andrew is on cipro right now for a pseudomonas exacerbation. I hope he starts feeling better very soon! I wish you both the best!

T

TonyaH

I am so sorry you're having a rough start to middle school. My son started middle school this year as well. It is such a different world, isn't it?

Andrew has not been out of school yet this year, so I can't say I know what you are going through. But from past years when he was in and out of the hospital, I can tell you that it is all about keeping up. Even when he was home sick, we had school time each day. I became his teacher. I know it's one more thing for moms to add to their plate, but it's all part of the CF fun. I'm glad you have the 504 plan in place so you don't have to worry about accumulating absences. Many school districts have home tutors that will come and help with school work right at your kitchen table!

I did want to ask you about the cipro, though. If he has a viral infection, why is it being treated with an antibiotic? Andrew is on cipro right now for a pseudomonas exacerbation. I hope he starts feeling better very soon! I wish you both the best!

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />Andrew has not been out of school yet this year, so I can't say I know what you are going through. But from past years when he was in and out of the hospital, I can tell you that it is all about keeping up. Even when he was home sick, we had school time each day. I became his teacher. I know it's one more thing for moms to add to their plate, but it's all part of the CF fun. I'm glad you have the 504 plan in place so you don't have to worry about accumulating absences. Many school districts have home tutors that will come and help with school work right at your kitchen table!
<br />
<br />I did want to ask you about the cipro, though. If he has a viral infection, why is it being treated with an antibiotic? Andrew is on cipro right now for a pseudomonas exacerbation. I hope he starts feeling better very soon! I wish you both the best!

Murgie

Thanks for your encourgement in every area!!!
I am calling the CF team today to inquire about the Cipro, however, Sam has struggled with Psedomonas and MRSA. When we went in last week for the hospital overnight, they said, start Cipro when you get home just to be sure he recovers from a previous virus.
SO, I do not know why and I did not question why, but I will today.
Just picked him up from school again, and he looks terrible.

Murgie

I am calling the CF team today to inquire about the Cipro, however, Sam has struggled with Psedomonas and MRSA. When we went in last week for the hospital overnight, they said, start Cipro when you get home just to be sure he recovers from a previous virus.

Murgie

Murgie

Murgie

<br />I am calling the CF team today to inquire about the Cipro, however, Sam has struggled with Psedomonas and MRSA. When we went in last week for the hospital overnight, they said, start Cipro when you get home just to be sure he recovers from a previous virus.
<br />SO, I do not know why and I did not question why, but I will today.
<br />Just picked him up from school again, and he looks terrible.