6th months Pregnant & Concern

sdavis227

Ok. Now I understand a bit more.
We basically knew DS would have CF when I was around 20 weeks pregnant due to an echogenic bowel and DH and I being tested positive to be carriers.
One thing that I wished I had understood earlier is how important the nutrition is for CFers. I remember the clinic asking us if we wanted to see the nutritionist (because insurance usually doesn't cover, we would have to pay) and I told them that I wasn't worried about it because he wouldn't be eating anything except breastmilk at first. Boy was I wrong. I think we've seen the nutritionist about 15 times since Parker's birth and he's only 11 mos. old!
The CF clinic might not want to set up any appointments until the baby is born and is diagnosed using a sweat test or new born screening (not sure if you have it there in CA?). I know that I had called our clinic and the coordinator had told me how they don't set up appts until there is an actual patient (even though I totally understand where you are coming from wanting to be prepared and all that).
I think the best advise I can give you is to try and take care of yourself right now and try not to worry about what will happen because only the future knows that. Enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can while still educating yourself on CF. DH and I got a good book called "Cystic Fibrosis A guide for Patient and Family" by David M. Orenstein. This book as well as this site were the two biggest things that helped me understand CF while I was pregnant.
If you have any additional ?s or anything at all, feel free to PM me.

sdavis227

We basically knew DS would have CF when I was around 20 weeks pregnant due to an echogenic bowel and DH and I being tested positive to be carriers.
One thing that I wished I had understood earlier is how important the nutrition is for CFers. I remember the clinic asking us if we wanted to see the nutritionist (because insurance usually doesn't cover, we would have to pay) and I told them that I wasn't worried about it because he wouldn't be eating anything except breastmilk at first. Boy was I wrong. I think we've seen the nutritionist about 15 times since Parker's birth and he's only 11 mos. old!
The CF clinic might not want to set up any appointments until the baby is born and is diagnosed using a sweat test or new born screening (not sure if you have it there in CA?). I know that I had called our clinic and the coordinator had told me how they don't set up appts until there is an actual patient (even though I totally understand where you are coming from wanting to be prepared and all that).
I think the best advise I can give you is to try and take care of yourself right now and try not to worry about what will happen because only the future knows that. Enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can while still educating yourself on CF. DH and I got a good book called "Cystic Fibrosis A guide for Patient and Family" by David M. Orenstein. This book as well as this site were the two biggest things that helped me understand CF while I was pregnant.

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

AbbysMama

Deanna,

I had many of the same questions you did when I came to this site. Our now 1 year old (18 months!) daughter was diagnosed prenatally. Here is the thread that I started when I found out. It might give you a spring board for additional questions you might not have thought of otherwise. Knowing this early is a burden and a blessing. I wish you and your husband the best of times preparing for your new bundle of joy.

Emily
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=902&threadid=8545&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ejwiegert
">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...=y&keyword1=ejwiegert
</a>

AbbysMama

Deanna,

I had many of the same questions you did when I came to this site. Our now 1 year old (18 months!) daughter was diagnosed prenatally. Here is the thread that I started when I found out. It might give you a spring board for additional questions you might not have thought of otherwise. Knowing this early is a burden and a blessing. I wish you and your husband the best of times preparing for your new bundle of joy.

Emily
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=902&threadid=8545&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ejwiegert
</a>

AbbysMama

Deanna,

Emily
</a>

AbbysMama

Deanna,

Emily
</a>

AbbysMama

Deanna,

Emily
</a>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Our child was diagnosed shortly after he was born because of a bowel obstruction (meconium illeus). Was a complete shock; however, because we knew right away that he had CF we were able to start him on digestive enzymes, chest physiotherapy -- basically just being very proactive to keep his lungs healthy.

Do you know what the genetic mutations are?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Our child was diagnosed shortly after he was born because of a bowel obstruction (meconium illeus). Was a complete shock; however, because we knew right away that he had CF we were able to start him on digestive enzymes, chest physiotherapy -- basically just being very proactive to keep his lungs healthy.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member