7% saline nebulizer- any help here?

canilucas

question: started my daughter on 7% saline via nebulizer, and she says her mouth, nose are "itchy" and "scratchy" and "hurt her" and are "dry" during the treatment, and right after. It goes away after she wipes her face, but She says she hates it. She trialed the 3% and didn't notice it at all so we went up on the concentration. Any one else notice this and is this a problem? also, is she suppossed to cough right away, during the treatment, or does it happen after, and how long after? during the whole rest of the day?
I am trying to figure out how this is supppossed to work. thanks. I guess I was expecting immediate results.

canilucas

question: started my daughter on 7% saline via nebulizer, and she says her mouth, nose are "itchy" and "scratchy" and "hurt her" and are "dry" during the treatment, and right after. It goes away after she wipes her face, but She says she hates it. She trialed the 3% and didn't notice it at all so we went up on the concentration. Any one else notice this and is this a problem? also, is she suppossed to cough right away, during the treatment, or does it happen after, and how long after? during the whole rest of the day?
I am trying to figure out how this is supppossed to work. thanks. I guess I was expecting immediate results.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
How old is your daughter? My daughter started 7% saline around 4 years old. It did make her cough alot. Under her nose would get irritated, I guess it took a few weeks for her to get used to it. Do you use albuterol before the saline? I also would use a very tiny amount of chapstick under her nose if it was irritated. I always offer her a drink after the saline, it makes her thirsty. When my daughter is well(not sick), she coughs very little while doing saline. If she is sick, with a cold, or respiratory thing, she can cough ALOT. My daughter is 9 years old.

When we first started the 7% saline, we did the first dose at her CF doc office to make sure she could tolerate it.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
How old is your daughter? My daughter started 7% saline around 4 years old. It did make her cough alot. Under her nose would get irritated, I guess it took a few weeks for her to get used to it. Do you use albuterol before the saline? I also would use a very tiny amount of chapstick under her nose if it was irritated. I always offer her a drink after the saline, it makes her thirsty. When my daughter is well(not sick), she coughs very little while doing saline. If she is sick, with a cold, or respiratory thing, she can cough ALOT. My daughter is 9 years old.

When we first started the 7% saline, we did the first dose at her CF doc office to make sure she could tolerate it.

hmw

Emily started hypersal about a year ago. She did it for the first time at clinic to be sure she could tolerate it ok since it can cause bronchospasm in some. It is important to use a bronchodilator first - a few don't need to, but most tolerate it much better if they do. We were told to give Emily her favorite strong tasting drink to sip throughout the tx to help her tolerate it better. In her case she doesn't need it- she likes the taste- but you may want to try. You mention she feels better when she wipes her face- is she using a mask? I'd try a mouthpiece if she's old enough to be taught to breathe through her mouth properly with it, and see if that goes better. I also agree with a bit of Chapstick under her nose (maybe even one that smells nice would be something she would like.)

Coughing- it does make Emily cough, moreso when sick. Most coughing is around the time of her tx.

hmw

Emily started hypersal about a year ago. She did it for the first time at clinic to be sure she could tolerate it ok since it can cause bronchospasm in some. It is important to use a bronchodilator first - a few don't need to, but most tolerate it much better if they do. We were told to give Emily her favorite strong tasting drink to sip throughout the tx to help her tolerate it better. In her case she doesn't need it- she likes the taste- but you may want to try. You mention she feels better when she wipes her face- is she using a mask? I'd try a mouthpiece if she's old enough to be taught to breathe through her mouth properly with it, and see if that goes better. I also agree with a bit of Chapstick under her nose (maybe even one that smells nice would be something she would like.)

Coughing- it does make Emily cough, moreso when sick. Most coughing is around the time of her tx.

Incomudrox

I don't know which neb you are using but, it makes a HUGE difference in tolerability of hypertonic saline. I am able to do 10% with the Resperonics Sidestream but with the Pari LC+ I can hardly do 7% @ 4mls. With the Sidestream I can sit there and do 20mls (at once) of 10% and not think twice about it. The disposable nebs most hospitals use make matters worse. The difference is in the particle size the results from different nebs.

Incomudrox

I don't know which neb you are using but, it makes a HUGE difference in tolerability of hypertonic saline. I am able to do 10% with the Resperonics Sidestream but with the Pari LC+ I can hardly do 7% @ 4mls. With the Sidestream I can sit there and do 20mls (at once) of 10% and not think twice about it. The disposable nebs most hospitals use make matters worse. The difference is in the particle size the results from different nebs.

BLKC032209

Our daughter was in the clinical study on this from age 24 months to 30 months. It did make her cough quite hard and deep during the neb treatment. But the neb (orsaline container) did make a difference as she did receive more meds quicker with certain containers. The taste and nose irritation wasn't an issue as she was asleep for most treatments.

BLKC032209

Our daughter was in the clinical study on this from age 24 months to 30 months. It did make her cough quite hard and deep during the neb treatment. But the neb (orsaline container) did make a difference as she did receive more meds quicker with certain containers. The taste and nose irritation wasn't an issue as she was asleep for most treatments.

Beccamom

My 12 year old uses 7% hypertonic saline and can't stand it if the vapor gets in her eyes. She wears contacts and sometimes glassses. When she wears her contacts we have to flush her eyes with tons of contact rewetting drops or the contacts get glued to her eyes after the neb with hypertonic saline. I assume the contacts dehydrate. We figured out that if she wore her glasses the saline neb did not bother her eyes at all. Her glasses are full or white from the salt water landing on them. So maybe if your daughter does not wear glasses you could get either light colored sun glasses or go to a store such as claires and you can get silly kids fake glasses without a prescription. I also found that toward the end of the 6 month use of Pari LC Sprint her glasses have much more of a coating on them from the saline.

For the lips my daughter keeps chapstick with no color or flavoring by the neb and constantly applies with each coughing break. Her lips still do get chapped from the treatments. It is a bit difficult to get the chapstick off the neb.

Beccamom

My 12 year old uses 7% hypertonic saline and can't stand it if the vapor gets in her eyes. She wears contacts and sometimes glassses. When she wears her contacts we have to flush her eyes with tons of contact rewetting drops or the contacts get glued to her eyes after the neb with hypertonic saline. I assume the contacts dehydrate. We figured out that if she wore her glasses the saline neb did not bother her eyes at all. Her glasses are full or white from the salt water landing on them. So maybe if your daughter does not wear glasses you could get either light colored sun glasses or go to a store such as claires and you can get silly kids fake glasses without a prescription. I also found that toward the end of the 6 month use of Pari LC Sprint her glasses have much more of a coating on them from the saline.

For the lips my daughter keeps chapstick with no color or flavoring by the neb and constantly applies with each coughing break. Her lips still do get chapped from the treatments. It is a bit difficult to get the chapstick off the neb.

When we had very cold season and the air was very dry Asia would not let herself do nebulization through mask cause it itched and she cried and said no. I used a face cream - with alot of fat - for cold weather - and it worked. She also seemed to caugh more then - now the problem is gone.
However maybe try 5% for a week or two then go for 7% again.

When we had very cold season and the air was very dry Asia would not let herself do nebulization through mask cause it itched and she cried and said no. I used a face cream - with alot of fat - for cold weather - and it worked. She also seemed to caugh more then - now the problem is gone.
However maybe try 5% for a week or two then go for 7% again.

canilucas

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Rebjane</b></i> How old is your daughter? My daughter started 7% saline around 4 years old. It did make her cough alot. Under her nose would get irritated, I guess it took a few weeks for her to get used to it. Do you use albuterol before the saline? I also would use a very tiny amount of chapstick under her nose if it was irritated. I always offer her a drink after the saline, it makes her thirsty. When my daughter is well(not sick), she coughs very little while doing saline. If she is sick, with a cold, or respiratory thing, she can cough ALOT. My daughter is 9 years old. When we first started the 7% saline, we did the first dose at her CF doc office to make sure she could tolerate it.

Thank you so much for your reply--all of you! Everyone on this forum is so kind and so informative! My daughter just turned 8. I took the advice from this forum and gave her the mouth piece instead of the mask and that has helped a lot. It is interesting that our CF center did not tell me to come in with her first use of it, as many others had mentioned that they had to come in to the center to do it the first time due to the risk of bronchospasm. Hmmm. At any rate, I already knew that risk, and I give her Xopenex prior to her treatment. Since I first posted, and did these changes, she is tolerating it much better! We also started the flutter device, as her main issue has been airway clearance, and there is a cool app that teaches the kids how to use it properly... It is very time consuming as she does the vest twice per day, sometimes 3x per day, now the flutter, but I am willing to do anything to get the mucus out.
Thank you for your post!

canilucas

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Rebjane</b></i> How old is your daughter? My daughter started 7% saline around 4 years old. It did make her cough alot. Under her nose would get irritated, I guess it took a few weeks for her to get used to it. Do you use albuterol before the saline? I also would use a very tiny amount of chapstick under her nose if it was irritated. I always offer her a drink after the saline, it makes her thirsty. When my daughter is well(not sick), she coughs very little while doing saline. If she is sick, with a cold, or respiratory thing, she can cough ALOT. My daughter is 9 years old. When we first started the 7% saline, we did the first dose at her CF doc office to make sure she could tolerate it.

Thank you so much for your reply--all of you! Everyone on this forum is so kind and so informative! My daughter just turned 8. I took the advice from this forum and gave her the mouth piece instead of the mask and that has helped a lot. It is interesting that our CF center did not tell me to come in with her first use of it, as many others had mentioned that they had to come in to the center to do it the first time due to the risk of bronchospasm. Hmmm. At any rate, I already knew that risk, and I give her Xopenex prior to her treatment. Since I first posted, and did these changes, she is tolerating it much better! We also started the flutter device, as her main issue has been airway clearance, and there is a cool app that teaches the kids how to use it properly... It is very time consuming as she does the vest twice per day, sometimes 3x per day, now the flutter, but I am willing to do anything to get the mucus out.
Thank you for your post!