7% saline nebulizer- any help here?

canilucas

Thank you for this reply! I didn't even think of that because she is using her Pari and alternating with the ones that were clean (disposable) kind, and those ones suck!
Thank you-I didn't realize the particle size made a difference, however, the rep pf Pari told me that it takes 5 minutes to do, and it does not. It takes as long as her vest treatment (20 min)
because I still see the neb vapors until then..

canilucas

Thank you for this reply! I didn't even think of that because she is using her Pari and alternating with the ones that were clean (disposable) kind, and those ones suck!
Thank you-I didn't realize the particle size made a difference, however, the rep pf Pari told me that it takes 5 minutes to do, and it does not. It takes as long as her vest treatment (20 min)
because I still see the neb vapors until then..

canilucas

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i> Canilucas: Have you discussed this question with her CF Doctor? Bill</end quote>

No, I didn't want to bother them with a simple question like this.. wanted to ask around first, and see what other's experiences have been. Yes, she does go to a CF center, and although she does not have CF, (to our knowledge), she is being treated like a CF patient, and watched very carefully. She sees the pulmonologist every 8 weeks, and that is recent. All of 2011, she saw the Pulm. doc every 4 weeks. So, she is improving with all the interventions..
SHe is also using the flutter device, the vest twice daily as her main issue is striving for airway clearance, as she is prone to frequent infectinons.
The doctor suggested we try Pulmozyme, but I am not that familiar with the side effects of that drug, and may be overkill, so we started with hypertonic saline instead.. first 3%, then 7%.. We also started Zithromax 3x per week, a few weeks before the saline, and now I am not sure which one is helping, or both because she is MUCH better in her symptoms.
Zithromax is to reduce inflammation, and it seems the hypertonic is drying her out, so
hopefully, this is a good sign, as she seems to be better.

canilucas

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i> Canilucas: Have you discussed this question with her CF Doctor? Bill</end quote>

No, I didn't want to bother them with a simple question like this.. wanted to ask around first, and see what other's experiences have been. Yes, she does go to a CF center, and although she does not have CF, (to our knowledge), she is being treated like a CF patient, and watched very carefully. She sees the pulmonologist every 8 weeks, and that is recent. All of 2011, she saw the Pulm. doc every 4 weeks. So, she is improving with all the interventions..
SHe is also using the flutter device, the vest twice daily as her main issue is striving for airway clearance, as she is prone to frequent infectinons.
The doctor suggested we try Pulmozyme, but I am not that familiar with the side effects of that drug, and may be overkill, so we started with hypertonic saline instead.. first 3%, then 7%.. We also started Zithromax 3x per week, a few weeks before the saline, and now I am not sure which one is helping, or both because she is MUCH better in her symptoms.
Zithromax is to reduce inflammation, and it seems the hypertonic is drying her out, so
hopefully, this is a good sign, as she seems to be better.

scanboyd

Being well hydrated to me is the key to me getting mucous thinner up and out. Drink plenty of fluids esp. first thing in the am. I have both 7 and 3 % Hts.; having used both, really can not tell much difference in the two so I use the 3% most of the time. After being well hydrated about a hour prior to my neb Rx and doing the Hts, while doing it, taking deep breaths and holding it for a few seconds on a fairly regular basis heps me cough and get tons of the mucous up. Sometimes I do the huff cough technique. I use the pari LC+ with the pulmo Aide compressor.
As Printer has stated coughing is CFers friend; never miss a opportunity to cough mucous up and out!!
Good Luck!!

scanboyd

Being well hydrated to me is the key to me getting mucous thinner up and out. Drink plenty of fluids esp. first thing in the am. I have both 7 and 3 % Hts.; having used both, really can not tell much difference in the two so I use the 3% most of the time. After being well hydrated about a hour prior to my neb Rx and doing the Hts, while doing it, taking deep breaths and holding it for a few seconds on a fairly regular basis heps me cough and get tons of the mucous up. Sometimes I do the huff cough technique. I use the pari LC+ with the pulmo Aide compressor.
As Printer has stated coughing is CFers friend; never miss a opportunity to cough mucous up and out!!
Good Luck!!

breatheforher

My daughter also sucks on hard candy with her neb treatments. Really helps mask the taste (especially if doing vanc or tobi nebs) and helps mouth stay moist. Another really good clearance device is the acapella. Children - especially young like your daughter have trouble using the flutter the correct way.

breatheforher

My daughter also sucks on hard candy with her neb treatments. Really helps mask the taste (especially if doing vanc or tobi nebs) and helps mouth stay moist. Another really good clearance device is the acapella. Children - especially young like your daughter have trouble using the flutter the correct way.

Anomie

Ya I was kind of wondering if he's double delta too. Its kind of hard to tell from his post but I'm guessing he probably is not. As far as the 7% saline my daughter doesn't mind it at all and she usually just coughs up the gunk during the time she is actually nebbing and not all day as was suggested.

Anomie

Ya I was kind of wondering if he's double delta too. Its kind of hard to tell from his post but I'm guessing he probably is not. As far as the 7% saline my daughter doesn't mind it at all and she usually just coughs up the gunk during the time she is actually nebbing and not all day as was suggested.

Anomie

She just hates wearing the vest because she says it hurts her lungs. I think its probably due to her bronchiectasis or the partial collapse they were talking about on her last ct scan.

Anomie

She just hates wearing the vest because she says it hurts her lungs. I think its probably due to her bronchiectasis or the partial collapse they were talking about on her last ct scan.

Taylersmom

My son just started the 7% 4 days ago and so far he has been able to produce alot of plugs.. I have read that using a mask may help with dryness and scratchy feeling, but it is mild for him. So far so good. Hope it keeps the mucus flowing!!

Taylersmom

My son just started the 7% 4 days ago and so far he has been able to produce alot of plugs.. I have read that using a mask may help with dryness and scratchy feeling, but it is mild for him. So far so good. Hope it keeps the mucus flowing!!