A1c, fasting glucose...help?

jbrandonAW

So I have a history of diabetes associated with steriods. We found it one night as a fluke. I was having night sweats and a lady had came to get and amicasin level. I mentioned it to here and she had someone come in and check my blood sugar -It was 344.

I was on metformin for a while, but once they finally took me off steriods I was fine. (this was all from AUG-DEC of last year). Every since I haven't noticed any blood sugar issues.

I am in the hospital right now. My A1C was measured when I came in. It was 6.5. The one I had in May was 5.8 I believe.

I have just not been feeling well even though my pfts are the highest they have been in years! So my dr decided to check blood sugars. They were going great until yesterday I spiked a 231, and then a 160. So I did a fasting glucose last night/this morning.

So I just finished it and my number was 198.

From everything I have read, diabetics are over 200, and an A1C over 7.

Sooo basically I can figure they will say Im borderline and what not.

What to yall think? Do you think that they will put me on meds? I dunno just any advice is appreciated! This whole cfrd thing confuses me!

jbrandonAW

So I have a history of diabetes associated with steriods. We found it one night as a fluke. I was having night sweats and a lady had came to get and amicasin level. I mentioned it to here and she had someone come in and check my blood sugar -It was 344.

I was on metformin for a while, but once they finally took me off steriods I was fine. (this was all from AUG-DEC of last year). Every since I haven't noticed any blood sugar issues.

I am in the hospital right now. My A1C was measured when I came in. It was 6.5. The one I had in May was 5.8 I believe.

I have just not been feeling well even though my pfts are the highest they have been in years! So my dr decided to check blood sugars. They were going great until yesterday I spiked a 231, and then a 160. So I did a fasting glucose last night/this morning.

So I just finished it and my number was 198.

From everything I have read, diabetics are over 200, and an A1C over 7.

Sooo basically I can figure they will say Im borderline and what not.

What to yall think? Do you think that they will put me on meds? I dunno just any advice is appreciated! This whole cfrd thing confuses me!

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I was on metformin for a while, but once they finally took me off steriods I was fine. (this was all from AUG-DEC of last year). Every since I haven't noticed any blood sugar issues.
<br />
<br />I am in the hospital right now. My A1C was measured when I came in. It was 6.5. The one I had in May was 5.8 I believe.
<br />
<br />I have just not been feeling well even though my pfts are the highest they have been in years! So my dr decided to check blood sugars. They were going great until yesterday I spiked a 231, and then a 160. So I did a fasting glucose last night/this morning.
<br />
<br />So I just finished it and my number was 198.
<br />
<br />From everything I have read, diabetics are over 200, and an A1C over 7.
<br />
<br />Sooo basically I can figure they will say Im borderline and what not.
<br />
<br />What to yall think? Do you think that they will put me on meds? I dunno just any advice is appreciated! This whole cfrd thing confuses me!

Giggles

I was dx with CFRD in 2005 and it is SUPER mild but they still want to treat me aggressively due to the fact that when you sugars are high it directly can relate to your lung function declining. I take a long lasting insulin before bed so when I wake up it is not too high and then take a short acting insulin as needed with meals. My doc said typically they do not have CF people on oral meds but want them on insulin. I tried oral and I was kinda up and down, so went to insulin. I take so very little like none to 3 units with a meal but lately it has been more none to 2 units with meals. My doc wants me below 140, 2 hours after meals. My a1c has never been higher than 6.4. Anything in the 6 range is good control and under 6 is no diabetes... If you are in the high 100's all the time after eating something they might want you to take something but it could just be one measly unit of insulin. I guess you will see, you can test for awhile before and after meals and see what the food does to your sugars. YOu can test in the am before eating and see if you are high, meaning over 100. Maybe you can get away with just a long lasting insulin before bed. CFRD is a crazy beast. Lots of ups and downs and everything affects your sugars, exercise, eating, health, stress you name it. And for me it is different everyday. Good luck hope you get some answers but in my experience the CF docs do not want us in the high 100's and higher all the time so I guess depending on your doc and how tight of control they want you to have you will have to see...

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

I was dx with CFRD in 2005 and it is SUPER mild but they still want to treat me aggressively due to the fact that when you sugars are high it directly can relate to your lung function declining. I take a long lasting insulin before bed so when I wake up it is not too high and then take a short acting insulin as needed with meals. My doc said typically they do not have CF people on oral meds but want them on insulin. I tried oral and I was kinda up and down, so went to insulin. I take so very little like none to 3 units with a meal but lately it has been more none to 2 units with meals. My doc wants me below 140, 2 hours after meals. My a1c has never been higher than 6.4. Anything in the 6 range is good control and under 6 is no diabetes... If you are in the high 100's all the time after eating something they might want you to take something but it could just be one measly unit of insulin. I guess you will see, you can test for awhile before and after meals and see what the food does to your sugars. YOu can test in the am before eating and see if you are high, meaning over 100. Maybe you can get away with just a long lasting insulin before bed. CFRD is a crazy beast. Lots of ups and downs and everything affects your sugars, exercise, eating, health, stress you name it. And for me it is different everyday. Good luck hope you get some answers but in my experience the CF docs do not want us in the high 100's and higher all the time so I guess depending on your doc and how tight of control they want you to have you will have to see...

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

<br />
<br />Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

adamsants

Adam was diagnosed about a year ago and his AIC is always around 5.8 and sugars around 120 or so. They put him on long acting insulin it has helped him gain some weight and helped with pfts (keeping them stable).

adamsants

Adam was diagnosed about a year ago and his AIC is always around 5.8 and sugars around 120 or so. They put him on long acting insulin it has helped him gain some weight and helped with pfts (keeping them stable).

adamsants

Solo

I do not require any long acting insulin. Taking a probiotic daily has helped me tremendously in that regard. Before I took I flora, I required 4 shots a day, and up to 10 units of lantus each night. Now, I only count carbs, I unit per 7 grams of carbs at breakfast, 1 unit per 14 grams of carbs at lunch, and I per 14 or 15 for dinner. Just 3 shots of novolog. But I have a theory, I didn't hear this from any doctor, but I *think* all people who are pancreatic insufficient and take digestive enzymes will eventually be dependent on insulin injections. I feel that over time, especially in my case, taking an exuberant amount of enzymes scarred my pancreas; hence it is severely restricted from doing its job. Just a thought.

I was under the impression that Metformin was discouraged in CF patients, as with typically under weight people, the medicine can trigger drastic lows.

Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!

Solo

I do not require any long acting insulin. Taking a probiotic daily has helped me tremendously in that regard. Before I took I flora, I required 4 shots a day, and up to 10 units of lantus each night. Now, I only count carbs, I unit per 7 grams of carbs at breakfast, 1 unit per 14 grams of carbs at lunch, and I per 14 or 15 for dinner. Just 3 shots of novolog. But I have a theory, I didn't hear this from any doctor, but I *think* all people who are pancreatic insufficient and take digestive enzymes will eventually be dependent on insulin injections. I feel that over time, especially in my case, taking an exuberant amount of enzymes scarred my pancreas; hence it is severely restricted from doing its job. Just a thought.

I was under the impression that Metformin was discouraged in CF patients, as with typically under weight people, the medicine can trigger drastic lows.

Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!

Solo

<br />
<br />I was under the impression that Metformin was discouraged in CF patients, as with typically under weight people, the medicine can trigger drastic lows.
<br />
<br />Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Solo</b></i>

Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!</end quote></div>

Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent. Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day.

After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.

T

tarheel

Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!</end quote>

Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent. Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day.

After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.

T

tarheel

<br />
<br />I do not require any long acting insulin. Taking a probiotic daily has helped me tremendously in that regard. Before I took I flora, I required 4 shots a day, and up to 10 units of lantus each night. Now, I only count carbs, I unit per 7 grams of carbs at breakfast, 1 unit per 14 grams of carbs at lunch, and I per 14 or 15 for dinner. Just 3 shots of novolog. But I have a theory, I didn't hear this from any doctor, but I *think* all people who are pancreatic insufficient and take digestive enzymes will eventually be dependent on insulin injections. I feel that over time, especially in my case, taking an exuberant amount of enzymes scarred my pancreas; hence it is severely restricted from doing its job. Just a thought.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I was under the impression that Metformin was discouraged in CF patients, as with typically under weight people, the medicine can trigger drastic lows.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Jessica, with blood sugars as high as 300s, I would think they would put you on an insulin regime, but maybe they will start you on oral meds first to monitor you. Good luck!</end quote>
<br />
<br />Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent. Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day.
<br />
<br />After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.

Solo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>tarheel</b></i>
Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent.</end quote></div>

If the pancreas "just doesn't work", at what point does it decide to quit? I mean it's not like it has a 9-5 job here, there's no room for negligence. Either the pancreas works on all systems, or it doesn't. Why does it scar? Are you certain is has nothing to do with enzymes, and does anyone take an obscene amount of enzymes and NOT have CFRD? I think those 2 go hand in hand. (CFRD and pancreatic insuffientcy)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day. </end quote></div>

Wow, 7 shots a day, yea I'd probably opt for a pump too. But at my worst, I was taking 4 shots a day. If you count carbs down to the finest detail I don't see how you need more than 4 shots a day. 1 to cover each meal, and a long acting insulin to act in the background. You're absolutely correct, that I know of there is no research that show probiotic use and its correlation to long acting insulin, but that's a whopper of a coincidence that a few days after I began a probiotic, that I didn't need lantus anymore. Well, if she can get by with 1 unit with a meal, why should she refuse that and go with the pump? Until she gets it all calculated properly, there will mostly be highs and lows, and opposed to only taking 1 unit of insulin, there's a lot more of a probability of a hap hazardous condition with pump usage.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.</end quote></div>

Well I wouldn't blatantly go against my doctor's advice, even though this is a CF support group and we are all mentally capable of treating this illness, we simply don't have all the facts.

Solo

Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent.</end quote>

If the pancreas "just doesn't work", at what point does it decide to quit? I mean it's not like it has a 9-5 job here, there's no room for negligence. Either the pancreas works on all systems, or it doesn't. Why does it scar? Are you certain is has nothing to do with enzymes, and does anyone take an obscene amount of enzymes and NOT have CFRD? I think those 2 go hand in hand. (CFRD and pancreatic insuffientcy)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day. </end quote>

Wow, 7 shots a day, yea I'd probably opt for a pump too. But at my worst, I was taking 4 shots a day. If you count carbs down to the finest detail I don't see how you need more than 4 shots a day. 1 to cover each meal, and a long acting insulin to act in the background. You're absolutely correct, that I know of there is no research that show probiotic use and its correlation to long acting insulin, but that's a whopper of a coincidence that a few days after I began a probiotic, that I didn't need lantus anymore. Well, if she can get by with 1 unit with a meal, why should she refuse that and go with the pump? Until she gets it all calculated properly, there will mostly be highs and lows, and opposed to only taking 1 unit of insulin, there's a lot more of a probability of a hap hazardous condition with pump usage.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.</end quote>

Well I wouldn't blatantly go against my doctor's advice, even though this is a CF support group and we are all mentally capable of treating this illness, we simply don't have all the facts.

Solo

<br />Actually, what happens is further scarring in your pancreas. It has nothing to do with the enzymes. Your pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin, yes, but they are two different systems. The organ, the pancreas, just doesn't work. Eventually because of the scarring that occurs in the organ you become insulin dependent.</end quote>
<br />
<br />If the pancreas "just doesn't work", at what point does it decide to quit? I mean it's not like it has a 9-5 job here, there's no room for negligence. Either the pancreas works on all systems, or it doesn't. Why does it scar? Are you certain is has nothing to do with enzymes, and does anyone take an obscene amount of enzymes and NOT have CFRD? I think those 2 go hand in hand. (CFRD and pancreatic insuffientcy)
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Hemoglobin A1C levels aren't reliable or reccomended nescisariy for diagnosing CFRD. The oral glucose test is still the standard for diagnosing this. There is also no research that shows any link between probiotic use (good bacteria that you're replacing in your gut) and long term insulin. Me personally, after being on long term and short term insulin for a few months I switched to a pump. Now instead of up to seven shots a day (depending on how many individual times you eat, plus long term insulin) it's one every three days to insert a tube that stays in your body. The pump knows your insulin ratios for different times of day and calculates it automatically based on what you tell it as your ratios, and you can give partial units. You also have a basal rate instead of long term insulin- it gives it to you throughout the day and night, on rates that you set based on your sugars at different times of the day. </end quote>
<br />
<br />Wow, 7 shots a day, yea I'd probably opt for a pump too. But at my worst, I was taking 4 shots a day. If you count carbs down to the finest detail I don't see how you need more than 4 shots a day. 1 to cover each meal, and a long acting insulin to act in the background. You're absolutely correct, that I know of there is no research that show probiotic use and its correlation to long acting insulin, but that's a whopper of a coincidence that a few days after I began a probiotic, that I didn't need lantus anymore. Well, if she can get by with 1 unit with a meal, why should she refuse that and go with the pump? Until she gets it all calculated properly, there will mostly be highs and lows, and opposed to only taking 1 unit of insulin, there's a lot more of a probability of a hap hazardous condition with pump usage.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>After getting the insulin, no matter what form, I felt like I had so much more energy and it was so much better from the sluggish way I felt before! The pump has made my diabetes care that much easier. Not sure what I can say about the continuous glucose monitor that I'm on now.. I'm still up in the air about that one. But- my lung function has also at least stabilized from its nose dive. If they tell you you need insulin- take it. Dont' risk your lung function over something like this.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Well I wouldn't blatantly go against my doctor's advice, even though this is a CF support group and we are all mentally capable of treating this illness, we simply don't have all the facts.

AnD

Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.

AnD

Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.