A1c, fasting glucose...help?

AnD

Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.

Havoc

The pancreas is both an endocrine and exocrine organ. The exocrine portion is most commonly affected (ie. mucus clogging the pancreatic duct) in people with CF. The endocrine portion is the part that makes insulin and does not require a duct to release the hormone Insulin (via the islets of Langerhans). In some people the islet cells become damaged and at some point don't produce enough insulin.

On a side note HbA1C is a good indicator of your BSG over time 2-3 months, whether it's been high or low.

To the OP, every endocrinologist will have their own numbers to determine what a positive diagnosis and "normal" BSG levels are.

Havoc

The pancreas is both an endocrine and exocrine organ. The exocrine portion is most commonly affected (ie. mucus clogging the pancreatic duct) in people with CF. The endocrine portion is the part that makes insulin and does not require a duct to release the hormone Insulin (via the islets of Langerhans). In some people the islet cells become damaged and at some point don't produce enough insulin.

On a side note HbA1C is a good indicator of your BSG over time 2-3 months, whether it's been high or low.

To the OP, every endocrinologist will have their own numbers to determine what a positive diagnosis and "normal" BSG levels are.

Havoc

<br />
<br />On a side note HbA1C is a good indicator of your BSG over time 2-3 months, whether it's been high or low.
<br />
<br />To the OP, every endocrinologist will have their own numbers to determine what a positive diagnosis and "normal" BSG levels are.

Solo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>AnD</b></i>

Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.</end quote></div>

O, ok. That was just a *theory* of mine. Thanks for clearing that up.

Solo

Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.</end quote>

O, ok. That was just a *theory* of mine. Thanks for clearing that up.

Solo

<br />
<br />Solo, your pancreas ducts get clogged with mucus, too, and when the natural digestive enzymes don't get out because of the blockages, it essentially digests itself, causing damage and scarring. So, you can have CFRD also from either the blockages or the scarring, but the enzymes pills we take don't enter the pancreas and cause damage. It's the lovely thick mucus that does it, just like it clogs up our airducts in our lungs.</end quote>
<br />
<br />O, ok. That was just a *theory* of mine. Thanks for clearing that up.