? about camping

kaylasdad

Just want some input from u guys about taking dd with cf camping.Is it ok sleeping in tents?What about all the cooking and smoke at camp sites?The bath rooms are pretty nasty also.Any input would be great.
Joe

kaylasdad

Just want some input from u guys about taking dd with cf camping.Is it ok sleeping in tents?What about all the cooking and smoke at camp sites?The bath rooms are pretty nasty also.Any input would be great.
Joe

kaylasdad

Joe

kaylasdad

Joe

kaylasdad

<br />Joe

Nightwriter

Joe,

This is a question where I know that you are hoping that the answer will be yes. But you pretty much laid out all the reasons why it would NOT be good. First, sleeping in the tent, the greenery all around will have a lot of mold and funguses. So considering that our homes should have filtered air -- what would Kayla be exposed to? And if it rains? Or recently rained? Doubly bad. The bathrooms -- well, nasty isn't good. Can I stop there?

And ALL the cooking and SMOKE?

Smoke particulates are about the WORST thing a CF person can inhale. They do so much damage. Google smoke (from chimneys, campfires, barbeques, any fire source) and respiratory damage and you will stop right there. Plus, extra horrible for a baby whose immune system who isn't fully developed.

Believe me. I know how you feel. I spent a day outside at a reservoir/park
a few weeks ago and the exposure to the pollen made me sick for 2 weeks. The day was great but the exacerbation was not worth it, especially being afraid from day-to-day of how bad it might get.

But the good news is that you asked before -- instead of going, making Kayla's lungs even more sensitive by raising inflammation at the very least or at the worst: a whopping respiratory complication -- that could result in permanent damage.

Nightwriter

Joe,

This is a question where I know that you are hoping that the answer will be yes. But you pretty much laid out all the reasons why it would NOT be good. First, sleeping in the tent, the greenery all around will have a lot of mold and funguses. So considering that our homes should have filtered air -- what would Kayla be exposed to? And if it rains? Or recently rained? Doubly bad. The bathrooms -- well, nasty isn't good. Can I stop there?

Smoke particulates are about the WORST thing a CF person can inhale. They do so much damage. Google smoke (from chimneys, campfires, barbeques, any fire source) and respiratory damage and you will stop right there. Plus, extra horrible for a baby whose immune system who isn't fully developed.

a few weeks ago and the exposure to the pollen made me sick for 2 weeks. The day was great but the exacerbation was not worth it, especially being afraid from day-to-day of how bad it might get.

But the good news is that you asked before -- instead of going, making Kayla's lungs even more sensitive by raising inflammation at the very least or at the worst: a whopping respiratory complication -- that could result in permanent damage.

Nightwriter

Joe,

Nightwriter

Joe,

Nightwriter

Joe,
<br />
<br />This is a question where I know that you are hoping that the answer will be yes. But you pretty much laid out all the reasons why it would NOT be good. First, sleeping in the tent, the greenery all around will have a lot of mold and funguses. So considering that our homes should have filtered air -- what would Kayla be exposed to? And if it rains? Or recently rained? Doubly bad. The bathrooms -- well, nasty isn't good. Can I stop there?
<br />
<br />And ALL the cooking and SMOKE?
<br />
<br />Smoke particulates are about the WORST thing a CF person can inhale. They do so much damage. Google smoke (from chimneys, campfires, barbeques, any fire source) and respiratory damage and you will stop right there. Plus, extra horrible for a baby whose immune system who isn't fully developed.
<br />
<br />Believe me. I know how you feel. I spent a day outside at a reservoir/park
<br />a few weeks ago and the exposure to the pollen made me sick for 2 weeks. The day was great but the exacerbation was not worth it, especially being afraid from day-to-day of how bad it might get.
<br />
<br />But the good news is that you asked before -- instead of going, making Kayla's lungs even more sensitive by raising inflammation at the very least or at the worst: a whopping respiratory complication -- that could result in permanent damage.

Z

zeeannie

I've read lot's of different opinions on this. As for our family, we go camping a lot in the spring and summer. We don't always have our daughter with us, but she probably camps around 10 nights (+ or - a couple nts.) total every season. So that's ten out of 365 that she's breathing campfire smoke. We haven't found that it affects her much. There might be a little increased cough, but nothing worrisome, nor does it last beyond the camping trip. We also bring her Vest and nebs along with us,so that helps. We bought a generator (a quiet Honda) for the spots without hookups so we can use it at whatever campsite we can drive to. I imagine the smoke will affect someone with more advanced respiratory problems than our daughter has. That one has to be an individual choice.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tents. We sleep in tents and sometimes our daughter sleeps on the "bed" that you can make in our Honda Element.

As for the bathrooms. Yuck. You need to be really organized. I tell her never to put anything(toothbrushes, etc.) down on any surfaces ever. Things must stay in our kit bags. If You have to put something down, bring a few paper towels to put your stuff down on (I'm imagining the bathrooms in the state parks, etc. that have a ledge under the mirror...). Can you keep her in a stroller? lol!

Bring lot's of antibacterial wipes and gel. Bring your own plastic tablecloth for the picnic table.

Have fun!

Z

zeeannie

I've read lot's of different opinions on this. As for our family, we go camping a lot in the spring and summer. We don't always have our daughter with us, but she probably camps around 10 nights (+ or - a couple nts.) total every season. So that's ten out of 365 that she's breathing campfire smoke. We haven't found that it affects her much. There might be a little increased cough, but nothing worrisome, nor does it last beyond the camping trip. We also bring her Vest and nebs along with us,so that helps. We bought a generator (a quiet Honda) for the spots without hookups so we can use it at whatever campsite we can drive to. I imagine the smoke will affect someone with more advanced respiratory problems than our daughter has. That one has to be an individual choice.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tents. We sleep in tents and sometimes our daughter sleeps on the "bed" that you can make in our Honda Element.

As for the bathrooms. Yuck. You need to be really organized. I tell her never to put anything(toothbrushes, etc.) down on any surfaces ever. Things must stay in our kit bags. If You have to put something down, bring a few paper towels to put your stuff down on (I'm imagining the bathrooms in the state parks, etc. that have a ledge under the mirror...). Can you keep her in a stroller? lol!

Bring lot's of antibacterial wipes and gel. Bring your own plastic tablecloth for the picnic table.

Have fun!

Z

zeeannie

Have fun!

Z

zeeannie

Have fun!

Z

zeeannie

<br />
<br />I'm not sure what you mean about the tents. We sleep in tents and sometimes our daughter sleeps on the "bed" that you can make in our Honda Element.
<br />
<br />As for the bathrooms. Yuck. You need to be really organized. I tell her never to put anything(toothbrushes, etc.) down on any surfaces ever. Things must stay in our kit bags. If You have to put something down, bring a few paper towels to put your stuff down on (I'm imagining the bathrooms in the state parks, etc. that have a ledge under the mirror...). Can you keep her in a stroller? lol!
<br />
<br />Bring lot's of antibacterial wipes and gel. Bring your own plastic tablecloth for the picnic table.
<br />
<br />Have fun!
<br />

W

welshwitch

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this, and here's another one. I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents here and just say that, for me, a 29 year old CF patient, I don't stress about camping. I go camping all the time. If the bathrooms are too disgusting, there's nothing like the glory of peeing in a bush! Re: the fire, make sure your kids aren't in the direct smoke and it should be OK. Or roast marshmallows on a campstove instead. For me, removing myself from the City smog and hanging out in nature is a healthy thing to do.

W

welshwitch

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this, and here's another one. I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents here and just say that, for me, a 29 year old CF patient, I don't stress about camping. I go camping all the time. If the bathrooms are too disgusting, there's nothing like the glory of peeing in a bush! Re: the fire, make sure your kids aren't in the direct smoke and it should be OK. Or roast marshmallows on a campstove instead. For me, removing myself from the City smog and hanging out in nature is a healthy thing to do.

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch