Adults: Do You Still Let Your Parents Help You?

Lovett

As an adult with CF, do you still let your parents help you in any way? What are some of the things you appreciate? What are some of the things you wish they wouldn't do? Does it help to have them live nearby?

Lovett

As an adult with CF, do you still let your parents help you in any way? What are some of the things you appreciate? What are some of the things you wish they wouldn't do? Does it help to have them live nearby?

C

cfgf28

Im not the adult with the CF, my Bf is. But his mom and grandparents both live very close. He actually lived with his grandparents til we bought a house 6 months ago. His mom still takes care of alot of insuarnce company issues for him, mainly because he's at work during the day, and she works for a doctor so has the knowledge he doesn't have about insurance, I don't usually do that stuff for him bc we're not married so they probably won't talk to me due to HIPPA. Living with his family they nagged him alot about doing therapy and making his health a priority etc...which drove him crazy, and now that he doesnt live with them he takes care of himself better without them nagging him. I think sometimes as family of a cfer we dont get it. We nag and say just do your therapy, or you need to go to the gym...We aren't the person doing the therapy, and sucking down breathing treatments, so it's easy for us to say just go do it...when it's 10 at night and that person has been up all day working etc...we dont get it...

C

cfgf28

Im not the adult with the CF, my Bf is. But his mom and grandparents both live very close. He actually lived with his grandparents til we bought a house 6 months ago. His mom still takes care of alot of insuarnce company issues for him, mainly because he's at work during the day, and she works for a doctor so has the knowledge he doesn't have about insurance, I don't usually do that stuff for him bc we're not married so they probably won't talk to me due to HIPPA. Living with his family they nagged him alot about doing therapy and making his health a priority etc...which drove him crazy, and now that he doesnt live with them he takes care of himself better without them nagging him. I think sometimes as family of a cfer we dont get it. We nag and say just do your therapy, or you need to go to the gym...We aren't the person doing the therapy, and sucking down breathing treatments, so it's easy for us to say just go do it...when it's 10 at night and that person has been up all day working etc...we dont get it...

musclemania70

My parents live a mile away. I am married though so most of the burden of my health falls on my husband. However, I truly appreciate when my mom and dad can drive me to the hospital on a moments notice so my husband doesn't have to leave work. My mom brings me meals when I am doing home IV's as well so I don't have to worry about cooking while I am not feeling good. Its great to have family nearby. If they are offering help, its good to take them up on it because all they want to do is help relieve some of your burden. (unless of course they are over-bearing and want to do EVERYTHING for you and treat you like you are helpless)

musclemania70

My parents live a mile away. I am married though so most of the burden of my health falls on my husband. However, I truly appreciate when my mom and dad can drive me to the hospital on a moments notice so my husband doesn't have to leave work. My mom brings me meals when I am doing home IV's as well so I don't have to worry about cooking while I am not feeling good. Its great to have family nearby. If they are offering help, its good to take them up on it because all they want to do is help relieve some of your burden. (unless of course they are over-bearing and want to do EVERYTHING for you and treat you like you are helpless)

bigstar

Well i have to admit that a little help is appreciated by us Cfers. My father always does all the paper work. Goes to public services, deals with insurance issues and collects all the meds from the pharmacy! My mom boils my nebs! And she is also responsible for mixing my IVs (when im on) and also injecting them because i use an IV picc line on my arm and it is impossible to do it myself. Its a huge help! I hope as medicine progresses that I actually get to be more independent.

bigstar

Well i have to admit that a little help is appreciated by us Cfers. My father always does all the paper work. Goes to public services, deals with insurance issues and collects all the meds from the pharmacy! My mom boils my nebs! And she is also responsible for mixing my IVs (when im on) and also injecting them because i use an IV picc line on my arm and it is impossible to do it myself. Its a huge help! I hope as medicine progresses that I actually get to be more independent.

JustDucky

My parents do help when I am sick or in the hospital either by driving me there or to appointments that are far away, or by coming over and helping with housework and cooking if I happen to be on home IV's...that first week is usually the hardest on me, any help is welcomed then. Every little bit helps when I am feeling my worst, it takes a huge weight off of my shoulders when they do take care of the incidentals around my house (like taking care of my pets)

Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

My parents do help when I am sick or in the hospital either by driving me there or to appointments that are far away, or by coming over and helping with housework and cooking if I happen to be on home IV's...that first week is usually the hardest on me, any help is welcomed then. Every little bit helps when I am feeling my worst, it takes a huge weight off of my shoulders when they do take care of the incidentals around my house (like taking care of my pets)

Jenn 40 wCF

nocode

Since I live abroad, the support that I get from my parents nowadays is mostly emotional, however, they will be the first ones to fly here and stand by my side if need be.
They are over-protective which was difficult to deal with in my teens and they only rested when they realized that I do comply with all my treatments.

nocode

Since I live abroad, the support that I get from my parents nowadays is mostly emotional, however, they will be the first ones to fly here and stand by my side if need be.
They are over-protective which was difficult to deal with in my teens and they only rested when they realized that I do comply with all my treatments.

cffighter

My mom will come and stay at a hotel by my clinic when I'm in the hospital. Usually I'm only in for about 5 days to a week to get levels right, PICC placed, and show some starting improvements on my PFTs. She will then stay with me a few days at where I live, which is the old family house as she and my dad live in another town for his work, to just cook for me and help me with doing my IVs. It definitely is nice to get that extra help.

cffighter

My mom will come and stay at a hotel by my clinic when I'm in the hospital. Usually I'm only in for about 5 days to a week to get levels right, PICC placed, and show some starting improvements on my PFTs. She will then stay with me a few days at where I live, which is the old family house as she and my dad live in another town for his work, to just cook for me and help me with doing my IVs. It definitely is nice to get that extra help.

saveferris2009

I relish being independent.

I work full time, I have paid for 100% of my food, medications, schooling, housing since I graduated college at age 21.

That being said, i do love when my parents help me move (I have moved a few times from apartment to apartment), bring me normal food when I'm in jail (hospital), and buy me gift certificates for take-out food every once in a while (sometimes I am just too tired to fix myself food after work).

My BF helps me sometimes by washing my nebs or doing laundry or cooking food - more because he wants to, rather than I need him to. Sometimes I do feel weird that he is taking care of me because I have been so independent the past 12 years. Even in college I lived in dorms, did all my meds, handled insurance, etc.

Living a normal life is so important to me.

saveferris2009

I relish being independent.

I work full time, I have paid for 100% of my food, medications, schooling, housing since I graduated college at age 21.

That being said, i do love when my parents help me move (I have moved a few times from apartment to apartment), bring me normal food when I'm in jail (hospital), and buy me gift certificates for take-out food every once in a while (sometimes I am just too tired to fix myself food after work).

My BF helps me sometimes by washing my nebs or doing laundry or cooking food - more because he wants to, rather than I need him to. Sometimes I do feel weird that he is taking care of me because I have been so independent the past 12 years. Even in college I lived in dorms, did all my meds, handled insurance, etc.

Living a normal life is so important to me.

Brad

I have been taking care of everything since I was 18..I am now
on SS Disability, but I take my self to docs apps alone , I just take it slow
and allow my self more time to walk and rest to get there on time,

Brad

I have been taking care of everything since I was 18..I am now
on SS Disability, but I take my self to docs apps alone , I just take it slow
and allow my self more time to walk and rest to get there on time,