Advice from fellow Christians

maryann

I know this is a touchy subject and many of yall reading have done IVF with PGD. My husband and I are both carriers. We have a 2 year old without cf and are thinking about our options. I don't believe in abortion and destroying embreos just seems like another form of abortion. Any Christian readers out there with opinions, advice?

maryann

I know this is a touchy subject and many of yall reading have done IVF with PGD. My husband and I are both carriers. We have a 2 year old without cf and are thinking about our options. I don't believe in abortion and destroying embreos just seems like another form of abortion. Any Christian readers out there with opinions, advice?

maryann

maryann

maryann

B

Brian1986

I'm Christian and I have no problem whatsoever with abortion. The foetus isn't alive until it's out of the womb and breathing, IMHO. That's why you're not a US citizen until actual birth. I'm not trying to challenge your belief or say you're wrong -- Just offering a different perspective.

B

Brian1986

I'm Christian and I have no problem whatsoever with abortion. The foetus isn't alive until it's out of the womb and breathing, IMHO. That's why you're not a US citizen until actual birth. I'm not trying to challenge your belief or say you're wrong -- Just offering a different perspective.

B

Brian1986

B

Brian1986

B

Brian1986

dancer78

Hi Maryann,

I am a christian and I have a definite opinion on abortion:

I'm 47, with a mild case of CF, have never fought CF (not really) but fought the medical community at every turn.

Heres the thing: just because you and your husband are carriers does not mean you will automatically have a child with a severe case of CF. Doctors won't tell you this.

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) and I'm so thankful that the testing did not exist back in the 60's......and that I WAS NOT ABORTED.

Have some faith. ASK GOD, then do what's in your heart, because that will be from Him.

If you decide to adopt, then great! that means there's a child out there for you.
If you decide to go ahead and try to concieve, God will be there, sick child or healthy child. And your lives will change, and be richer because of it!

-----------
Diane --- 47, mild case, married, work full time, no kids yet for this career girl, but adopting soon, God willing! adopting only because fewer eggs at 47!
a child is waiting for us somewhere........

dancer78

Hi Maryann,

I'm 47, with a mild case of CF, have never fought CF (not really) but fought the medical community at every turn.

Heres the thing: just because you and your husband are carriers does not mean you will automatically have a child with a severe case of CF. Doctors won't tell you this.

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) and I'm so thankful that the testing did not exist back in the 60's......and that I WAS NOT ABORTED.

Have some faith. ASK GOD, then do what's in your heart, because that will be from Him.

If you decide to adopt, then great! that means there's a child out there for you.
If you decide to go ahead and try to concieve, God will be there, sick child or healthy child. And your lives will change, and be richer because of it!

-----------
Diane --- 47, mild case, married, work full time, no kids yet for this career girl, but adopting soon, God willing! adopting only because fewer eggs at 47!

dancer78

Hi Maryann,

-----------

dancer78

Hi Maryann,

-----------

dancer78

Hi Maryann,

-----------

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dancer78</b></i>

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) </end quote></div>

Please don't take this to be hostile, I'm just trying to clarify that quote and its place in scripture for those who might not know what you're talking about.

The Book of Psalms is a collection of poetry. That piece of poetry from Psalm 139 only offers evidence that God is omnipresent and omniscient. It has nothing to do with whether we have a purpose. That entire Psalm is about how the author, David, knows that no matter where he goes, still God is present with him. God is all-powerful and all-seeing, so of course he would see things and know about things that are virtually undetectable to the human eye.

As to the original request from MaryAnn about the opinions of other Christians, I think she'll only find peace when she gets enough opinions that are in line with how she feels. She's mostly just looking for support for her beliefs, and I would imagine, will largely disregard those that don't suit her. That's reasonable and to be expected on a topic like this where it's impossible to be truly objective.

You may want to read my article <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2008/01/choice-for-children.html">The Choice for Children</a>

lightNlife

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) </end quote></div>

Please don't take this to be hostile, I'm just trying to clarify that quote and its place in scripture for those who might not know what you're talking about.

The Book of Psalms is a collection of poetry. That piece of poetry from Psalm 139 only offers evidence that God is omnipresent and omniscient. It has nothing to do with whether we have a purpose. That entire Psalm is about how the author, David, knows that no matter where he goes, still God is present with him. God is all-powerful and all-seeing, so of course he would see things and know about things that are virtually undetectable to the human eye.

As to the original request from MaryAnn about the opinions of other Christians, I think she'll only find peace when she gets enough opinions that are in line with how she feels. She's mostly just looking for support for her beliefs, and I would imagine, will largely disregard those that don't suit her. That's reasonable and to be expected on a topic like this where it's impossible to be truly objective.

You may want to read my article <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2008/01/choice-for-children.html">The Choice for Children</a>

lightNlife

lightNlife

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) </end quote>

lightNlife

I believe that God has a purpose for every person who is CONCEIVED, (read what the bible says "I knew you in the womb...." Psalms ) </end quote>