Advice some food for my 6 months old cf daughter

sweetninis

<strong>hello</strong>

<strong>If any one here can help me about what food i can give my 6 months old cf daughter that could help her gain weight and her interest in food.</strong>

<strong>what did u use to give your cf child when he/she was 6 months old</strong>

<strong>plz share</strong>

sweetninis

<strong>hello</strong>

<strong>If any one here can help me about what food i can give my 6 months old cf daughter that could help her gain weight and her interest in food.</strong>

<strong>what did u use to give your cf child when he/she was 6 months old</strong>

<strong>plz share</strong>

momtohazel

I cannot remember exactly but a few idease are avocado, coconut oil, scrambled eggs, lentils, sweet potatoes with butter...smashed or blended to a consistency that was appropriate. I think i also began doing smoothies with added fats for extra calories (i.e. nutter butter, yogurt, flaxseed oil, etc)
I don't know if you eat meat but was a good first food for my little one as she was anemic at that age - ground lamb and beef. Prunes are another good source of iron for her too.
Good luck

momtohazel

I cannot remember exactly but a few idease are avocado, coconut oil, scrambled eggs, lentils, sweet potatoes with butter...smashed or blended to a consistency that was appropriate. I think i also began doing smoothies with added fats for extra calories (i.e. nutter butter, yogurt, flaxseed oil, etc)
I don't know if you eat meat but was a good first food for my little one as she was anemic at that age - ground lamb and beef. Prunes are another good source of iron for her too.
Good luck

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS ate whole milk or greek yogurt. Jarred babyfood -- preferred Stage 2 Macaroni and Cheese, turkey or ham -- but not chicken or beef, oatmeal with pears. I'd add salt to the meats, butter to the oatmeal since babyfood is low in fat and salt. If I discovered something he loved, he's sometimes get it for every meal. I also added cream to his bottles of formula.

I also ground up bean soup, chicken ala king, spagetti with sauce.... There were certain things he hated -- ground meat, peas. At daycare he ate whatever the big kids were eating but they ground it up finely for him.

When he was 2 he discovered hamburger patties, ham patties, spagettios, but was sick of macaroni and cheese by then.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS ate whole milk or greek yogurt. Jarred babyfood -- preferred Stage 2 Macaroni and Cheese, turkey or ham -- but not chicken or beef, oatmeal with pears. I'd add salt to the meats, butter to the oatmeal since babyfood is low in fat and salt. If I discovered something he loved, he's sometimes get it for every meal. I also added cream to his bottles of formula.

I also ground up bean soup, chicken ala king, spagetti with sauce.... There were certain things he hated -- ground meat, peas. At daycare he ate whatever the big kids were eating but they ground it up finely for him.

When he was 2 he discovered hamburger patties, ham patties, spagettios, but was sick of macaroni and cheese by then.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Formula is ounce-for-ounce more calories so I wouldn't push solids too hard at 6 months, unless she is really expressing an strong interest. But you can add butter and brown sugar to infant cereal (and make with high calorie formula). Does your center have a nutritionist? They usually have great ideas too.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Formula is ounce-for-ounce more calories so I wouldn't push solids too hard at 6 months, unless she is really expressing an strong interest. But you can add butter and brown sugar to infant cereal (and make with high calorie formula). Does your center have a nutritionist? They usually have great ideas too.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, DS was on formula until he was 18 months old. Was where he got most of his calories.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, DS was on formula until he was 18 months old. Was where he got most of his calories.

ForeverDance

My daughter just turned 7 months and she still gets majority of her calories through breastmilk. I always offer her breastmilk before every meal to ensure that she gets enough calories because it has more calories then the solid food does. That being said, she eats pretty well and we have noticed a good increase in her weight gain after introducing solid foods. For cereals we always buy the type that says "just add water" and then use breastmilk to make it. We also put butter in just about everything. Our dietician told us to go ahead and put it in anything that you feed to her warm.

At this point I wouldn't stress too much about particular foods to increase calories and weight. She's really at an age where she needs to have a chance to explore new foods and tastes. I always try to give her something new every 3 days and just use butter to bump up the calories.

ForeverDance

My daughter just turned 7 months and she still gets majority of her calories through breastmilk. I always offer her breastmilk before every meal to ensure that she gets enough calories because it has more calories then the solid food does. That being said, she eats pretty well and we have noticed a good increase in her weight gain after introducing solid foods. For cereals we always buy the type that says "just add water" and then use breastmilk to make it. We also put butter in just about everything. Our dietician told us to go ahead and put it in anything that you feed to her warm.

At this point I wouldn't stress too much about particular foods to increase calories and weight. She's really at an age where she needs to have a chance to explore new foods and tastes. I always try to give her something new every 3 days and just use butter to bump up the calories.

bbell420

My son w/ CF is now 14 months and had a very hard time with weight gain at that age. His nutritionist always said that before he turned one year he should get most of his calories from formula or breast milk. We mixed his bottles at the highest calorie rate possible and our doc gave us an RX for MCT Oil. It is a tasteless fat that adds 30 calories to bottle. We also fed him level 2 baby foods and added butter or vegtable oil and baby cereal for thicking the consistancy of it and it really seemed to help with weight gain.

My son stayed below the 20th percentile in his weight range until he was 13 months and switched from formula to pediasure, and now he is in the 50th percentile!

bbell420

My son w/ CF is now 14 months and had a very hard time with weight gain at that age. His nutritionist always said that before he turned one year he should get most of his calories from formula or breast milk. We mixed his bottles at the highest calorie rate possible and our doc gave us an RX for MCT Oil. It is a tasteless fat that adds 30 calories to bottle. We also fed him level 2 baby foods and added butter or vegtable oil and baby cereal for thicking the consistancy of it and it really seemed to help with weight gain.

My son stayed below the 20th percentile in his weight range until he was 13 months and switched from formula to pediasure, and now he is in the 50th percentile!

imported_Momto2

Our youngest daughter doesnt have CF, but she was somewhat failure to thrive around age 14 months (she had a choking issue w/solids and became food phobic to some degree) so we used to give her high fat baby formula made with full fat milk. It put weight on quickly.

With our older daughter, who came to us at a year and weighing less than 16 lbs, we mixed oil and butter with everything, fed her every 2 hours, and did the full fat milk/baby formula thing (but again, she does not have CF). She doubled her weight and grew 8 inches in the next year.

imported_Momto2

Our youngest daughter doesnt have CF, but she was somewhat failure to thrive around age 14 months (she had a choking issue w/solids and became food phobic to some degree) so we used to give her high fat baby formula made with full fat milk. It put weight on quickly.

With our older daughter, who came to us at a year and weighing less than 16 lbs, we mixed oil and butter with everything, fed her every 2 hours, and did the full fat milk/baby formula thing (but again, she does not have CF). She doubled her weight and grew 8 inches in the next year.

briarrose

We add duocal (8g) and MCT oil (1.5 tsp) to each of our 11-month-old's bottles (4 bottles of expressed breast milk per day, totaling around 30 oz) and we add olive oil and butter to all of his baby food. I mix in 1 tsp of either into 1-1.5 oz of baby food. (He won't eat table foods... has problems swallowing most table foods without throwing up, so until we get his weight up, we're exclusively on baby food.)

If you want any of the sources where I buy these things for less than our local Walgreens charges, just pm me, and I'll forward it along.

Erin

briarrose

We add duocal (8g) and MCT oil (1.5 tsp) to each of our 11-month-old's bottles (4 bottles of expressed breast milk per day, totaling around 30 oz) and we add olive oil and butter to all of his baby food. I mix in 1 tsp of either into 1-1.5 oz of baby food. (He won't eat table foods... has problems swallowing most table foods without throwing up, so until we get his weight up, we're exclusively on baby food.)

If you want any of the sources where I buy these things for less than our local Walgreens charges, just pm me, and I'll forward it along.

Erin

sweetninis

@forever dance I see my daughter and your baby have same mutations and are almost same age how much weight your baby has right now?
My girl is 7 months and 15 days old and she is 4.5 kg right now.

gere

Please help me!

I'm Olivia and my son was born with CF as well, now he's 4.
I'm writing from Europe, very pleased to read your blog
In Europe is not possible to buy Zenpep neighter any similar product which can contain that high level of amilase and protease.
We would like to try Zenpep enzyme because the Kreon is not that effective and has very low amilase- protease enzymes. Somebody has an idea how it could be obtained Zenpep 5000?
I have relatives in Florida, they would help with the payment and sending.
We're interested about any solution, for example if somebody is not satisfied with the product, We could buy it from them.
Maybe if you can order more and sell us the rest...

Hopefully I didn't bother you with my letter,wishing you the best,

Sincerely yours,

Olivia
olivia6500@gmail.com