ANOTHER CF CHILD AT MY DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL

lexisangels05

HEY...SO NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM FREAKING OUT! I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT THERE IS ANOTHER CF CHILD AT MY DAUGHTER'S ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. WHAT PRECAUTIONS DO WE NEED TO TAKE?

MY DAUGHTER GOES TO A SMALL SCHOOL OF ONLY JUST 200-300 KIDS. OF COURSE THIS OTHER CHILD IS NOT IN HER SAME CLASSROOM, BUT THEY DO SHARE A LOT OF THE SAME PLACES AT SCHOOL...AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF COURSE. THERE IS ONE CAFFETERIA, GYM, ART ROOM, LIBRARY, MUSIC, ECT. NOT SURE ABOUT THE BATHROOMS, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT TOO.

WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP, I AM BEGGING.

MELISSA

lexisangels05

HEY...SO NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM FREAKING OUT! I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT THERE IS ANOTHER CF CHILD AT MY DAUGHTER'S ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. WHAT PRECAUTIONS DO WE NEED TO TAKE?

MY DAUGHTER GOES TO A SMALL SCHOOL OF ONLY JUST 200-300 KIDS. OF COURSE THIS OTHER CHILD IS NOT IN HER SAME CLASSROOM, BUT THEY DO SHARE A LOT OF THE SAME PLACES AT SCHOOL...AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF COURSE. THERE IS ONE CAFFETERIA, GYM, ART ROOM, LIBRARY, MUSIC, ECT. NOT SURE ABOUT THE BATHROOMS, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT TOO.

WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP, I AM BEGGING.

MELISSA

lexisangels05

<br />
<br />MY DAUGHTER GOES TO A SMALL SCHOOL OF ONLY JUST 200-300 KIDS. OF COURSE THIS OTHER CHILD IS NOT IN HER SAME CLASSROOM, BUT THEY DO SHARE A LOT OF THE SAME PLACES AT SCHOOL...AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF COURSE. THERE IS ONE CAFFETERIA, GYM, ART ROOM, LIBRARY, MUSIC, ECT. NOT SURE ABOUT THE BATHROOMS, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT TOO.
<br />
<br />WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP, I AM BEGGING.
<br />
<br />MELISSA

E

edan

I am so sorry. Statistically, that shouldn't have even happened.

Is there another school close by? If it were my daughter, and since she is still young (not completely established with a big group of friends, etc.), I would move her to another school. Where I live, if you are in a public school, you can request to be moved to another in the same school district.

I would not be able to handle the day to day stress of wondering if they are cross-contaminating. Not worth it for me or my family. Good luck to you.

Edan.

E

edan

Is there another school close by? If it were my daughter, and since she is still young (not completely established with a big group of friends, etc.), I would move her to another school. Where I live, if you are in a public school, you can request to be moved to another in the same school district.

I would not be able to handle the day to day stress of wondering if they are cross-contaminating. Not worth it for me or my family. Good luck to you.

Edan.

E

edan

<br />
<br />Is there another school close by? If it were my daughter, and since she is still young (not completely established with a big group of friends, etc.), I would move her to another school. Where I live, if you are in a public school, you can request to be moved to another in the same school district.
<br />
<br />I would not be able to handle the day to day stress of wondering if they are cross-contaminating. Not worth it for me or my family. Good luck to you.
<br />
<br />Edan.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We'll have a similar issue in a couple years. DS was/is the first person wcf in our school district, which is fairly large. And there's a family with a child who will go to the same elementary school. I've emailed the other parents, hoping they'd have other plans for their child -- either switch elementary schools or attend a private school. I know that sounds selfish on my part, but I really didn't think it was going to be an issue.

Mainly because they have never allowed their child to be in daycare, preschool or any activities. The parents work different shifts so one of them is always home with their child.

Currently it's written in DS' 504 plan regarding separating him from other CF students. They won't ever have lunch or recess at the same time; however, they'll both need to go to the "pill lady" in the school office each day as well as have a few shared facilities they'll use at different times. Being that we have the same pediatrician who is also head of the local CF clinic, I plan to speak with him about it as well.

I never thought this other parent would be so nonchalant about it, especially being that she's a nurse.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We'll have a similar issue in a couple years. DS was/is the first person wcf in our school district, which is fairly large. And there's a family with a child who will go to the same elementary school. I've emailed the other parents, hoping they'd have other plans for their child -- either switch elementary schools or attend a private school. I know that sounds selfish on my part, but I really didn't think it was going to be an issue.

Mainly because they have never allowed their child to be in daycare, preschool or any activities. The parents work different shifts so one of them is always home with their child.

Currently it's written in DS' 504 plan regarding separating him from other CF students. They won't ever have lunch or recess at the same time; however, they'll both need to go to the "pill lady" in the school office each day as well as have a few shared facilities they'll use at different times. Being that we have the same pediatrician who is also head of the local CF clinic, I plan to speak with him about it as well.

I never thought this other parent would be so nonchalant about it, especially being that she's a nurse.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Mainly because they have never allowed their child to be in daycare, preschool or any activities. The parents work different shifts so one of them is always home with their child.
<br />
<br />Currently it's written in DS' 504 plan regarding separating him from other CF students. They won't ever have lunch or recess at the same time; however, they'll both need to go to the "pill lady" in the school office each day as well as have a few shared facilities they'll use at different times. Being that we have the same pediatrician who is also head of the local CF clinic, I plan to speak with him about it as well.
<br />
<br />I never thought this other parent would be so nonchalant about it, especially being that she's a nurse.

lempi

OMG!! we are going through the same problem at my daughters school. The other student is 1 grade ahead and we have a 504 plan in place that lays out the cleaning and dissinfectant of all common areas but our issue is with the bathrooms. The plan we have had since the beggining of the year states the girls are to use seperate bath rooms and now the other family wants their daughter to use our daughters bath room! The other family is so laxed about the cross contamination and we don't under stand why if you can control any part of the possibility of contamination why would'ent you? To make things worse the principle is a friend of thiers and she is not acting in the best interest of our daughtes safty. Both girls go to the same hopspitial and have different doc's but the other child has the head of the department and we feel like our daughter's doc is afraid to seepk up. We have contacted the CDC and are waitng to hear back from them. In everyting we read they say keep them apart but nothing specific about sharing a bath room in a school setting. I will say the school did go the extra mile for us and put up hand sanitizers everywhere and the sanitize the common areas all the time.
We understand we cannot keep our daughter in a bubble and believe me we were ticked when the other family just plopped ther girl in a school that we had been at for 2 years all ready. Selfish or not we were there first! If the tables were turned we would not have done this to another family! We have the chance to control the cross contamination and we donot understand the opther family not wanting to prolong their daughts life if they can........

lempi

OMG!! we are going through the same problem at my daughters school. The other student is 1 grade ahead and we have a 504 plan in place that lays out the cleaning and dissinfectant of all common areas but our issue is with the bathrooms. The plan we have had since the beggining of the year states the girls are to use seperate bath rooms and now the other family wants their daughter to use our daughters bath room! The other family is so laxed about the cross contamination and we don't under stand why if you can control any part of the possibility of contamination why would'ent you? To make things worse the principle is a friend of thiers and she is not acting in the best interest of our daughtes safty. Both girls go to the same hopspitial and have different doc's but the other child has the head of the department and we feel like our daughter's doc is afraid to seepk up. We have contacted the CDC and are waitng to hear back from them. In everyting we read they say keep them apart but nothing specific about sharing a bath room in a school setting. I will say the school did go the extra mile for us and put up hand sanitizers everywhere and the sanitize the common areas all the time.
We understand we cannot keep our daughter in a bubble and believe me we were ticked when the other family just plopped ther girl in a school that we had been at for 2 years all ready. Selfish or not we were there first! If the tables were turned we would not have done this to another family! We have the chance to control the cross contamination and we donot understand the opther family not wanting to prolong their daughts life if they can........

lempi

<br />We understand we cannot keep our daughter in a bubble and believe me we were ticked when the other family just plopped ther girl in a school that we had been at for 2 years all ready. Selfish or not we were there first! If the tables were turned we would not have done this to another family! We have the chance to control the cross contamination and we donot understand the opther family not wanting to prolong their daughts life if they can........

hmw

There is another child with CF at Emily's school... in the same grade no less! And I agree, statistically it's nearly impossible but it happened. In our town, there are two elementary schools with 500-600 kids each but split up by grade (preK-2 and 3-5) so only one option to send the kids to... unless Emily was colonized with something like cepacia I wouldn't pull up roots and therefore couldn't expect the same from the other family either.

We have it in writing that Emily and the other child will never be in the same class, never have lunch or recess at the same time, never go for their enzymes at the same time. If there are large assemblies (i.e. school plays etc) where everyone gathers in the gym or whatever their classes will not sit anywhere near each other. CF bugs are not spread by sitting on the same toilet and I'm more concerned about the zillions of cold and flu germs they can pick up off every other surface in the bathroom... more motivation for the hand-washing chat. I am not worried about Emily and this other child using the same bathrooms or being, at completely separate times, in common classrooms like the art room or whatever. There is a severely immunocompromised student at the school who poses a similar risk to Emily as a cf child would (they can harbor similar bugs) and Emily is actually quite a danger to this child too. They do the best they can with what they have in a school of close to 600.

hmw

There is another child with CF at Emily's school... in the same grade no less! And I agree, statistically it's nearly impossible but it happened. In our town, there are two elementary schools with 500-600 kids each but split up by grade (preK-2 and 3-5) so only one option to send the kids to... unless Emily was colonized with something like cepacia I wouldn't pull up roots and therefore couldn't expect the same from the other family either.

We have it in writing that Emily and the other child will never be in the same class, never have lunch or recess at the same time, never go for their enzymes at the same time. If there are large assemblies (i.e. school plays etc) where everyone gathers in the gym or whatever their classes will not sit anywhere near each other. CF bugs are not spread by sitting on the same toilet and I'm more concerned about the zillions of cold and flu germs they can pick up off every other surface in the bathroom... more motivation for the hand-washing chat. I am not worried about Emily and this other child using the same bathrooms or being, at completely separate times, in common classrooms like the art room or whatever. There is a severely immunocompromised student at the school who poses a similar risk to Emily as a cf child would (they can harbor similar bugs) and Emily is actually quite a danger to this child too. They do the best they can with what they have in a school of close to 600.

hmw

<br />
<br />We have it in writing that Emily and the other child will never be in the same class, never have lunch or recess at the same time, never go for their enzymes at the same time. If there are large assemblies (i.e. school plays etc) where everyone gathers in the gym or whatever their classes will not sit anywhere near each other. CF bugs are not spread by sitting on the same toilet and I'm more concerned about the zillions of cold and flu germs they can pick up off every other surface in the bathroom... more motivation for the hand-washing chat. I am not worried about Emily and this other child using the same bathrooms or being, at completely separate times, in common classrooms like the art room or whatever. There is a severely immunocompromised student at the school who poses a similar risk to Emily as a cf child would (they can harbor similar bugs) and Emily is actually quite a danger to this child too. They do the best they can with what they have in a school of close to 600.

pipersmom

Piper has been at two schools, each under 200 students, and had another classmate with CF at both. In our little town, 30,000 people, there are at least 5 CFers that I know of. It's in her 504 to maintain at least 3 ft between them (as recommended by the CFF and her Doc), and normally it's much more space than that, they have no contact.

As Harriet said, the chance of cross-contamination in this scenario is negligible, your child is much more likely to pick something up from another "normal" child.

Frankly, if someone approached me about moving her to a different school, I would try to be polite and rational, but she wouldn't be going anywhere. I am not a "lax" parent by any means, and prolonging our childrens lives is important to all of us, I'm sure. I'm more worried about what she may pick up in clinic or the hospital than what could happen if the 2 CF kids touch the same faucet handle 3 hrs and 200 other touches in between.

pipersmom

Piper has been at two schools, each under 200 students, and had another classmate with CF at both. In our little town, 30,000 people, there are at least 5 CFers that I know of. It's in her 504 to maintain at least 3 ft between them (as recommended by the CFF and her Doc), and normally it's much more space than that, they have no contact.

As Harriet said, the chance of cross-contamination in this scenario is negligible, your child is much more likely to pick something up from another "normal" child.

Frankly, if someone approached me about moving her to a different school, I would try to be polite and rational, but she wouldn't be going anywhere. I am not a "lax" parent by any means, and prolonging our childrens lives is important to all of us, I'm sure. I'm more worried about what she may pick up in clinic or the hospital than what could happen if the 2 CF kids touch the same faucet handle 3 hrs and 200 other touches in between.

pipersmom

<br />
<br />As Harriet said, the chance of cross-contamination in this scenario is negligible, your child is much more likely to pick something up from another "normal" child.
<br />
<br />Frankly, if someone approached me about moving her to a different school, I would try to be polite and rational, but she wouldn't be going anywhere. I am not a "lax" parent by any means, and prolonging our childrens lives is important to all of us, I'm sure. I'm more worried about what she may pick up in clinic or the hospital than what could happen if the 2 CF kids touch the same faucet handle 3 hrs and 200 other touches in between.

W

welshwitch

FWIW I went to an elementary school with another CF kid in it (different grade) and we never had any problems.

W

welshwitch

FWIW I went to an elementary school with another CF kid in it (different grade) and we never had any problems.