Another question about hypertonic saline

barbc888

I left a message for my dr. about this, but in the meantime, thought I'd run it by you all too. I just started hypertonic saline tonite - 3% and 10% to mix together -- no problem. However, each vial is 15 ml! And the instructions say to mix 50/50. If that means 1/2 of the 3% and 1/2 of the 10%, I'll be nebulizing for 3 hours on this stuff! So fine, if I do that, then the rest from the vials goes to waste... what's up with that? Who is packaging this stuff so unrealistically? I tried 1/2 of each tonite mixed together, but ended up throwing most of it away after sitting there for 40 minutes. Anybody run into this as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

I left a message for my dr. about this, but in the meantime, thought I'd run it by you all too. I just started hypertonic saline tonite - 3% and 10% to mix together -- no problem. However, each vial is 15 ml! And the instructions say to mix 50/50. If that means 1/2 of the 3% and 1/2 of the 10%, I'll be nebulizing for 3 hours on this stuff! So fine, if I do that, then the rest from the vials goes to waste... what's up with that? Who is packaging this stuff so unrealistically? I tried 1/2 of each tonite mixed together, but ended up throwing most of it away after sitting there for 40 minutes. Anybody run into this as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Thanks,
Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

NoExcuses

Mine's the exact same way.

I squeeze 3mL of the 10% in the neb then 2mL of the 3% in the neb.

Then i toss the rest out.

It's such cheap stuff that it's easy to toss out. Then I open up a brand new vile for my next treatment.

NoExcuses

It's such cheap stuff that it's easy to toss out. Then I open up a brand new vile for my next treatment.

NoExcuses

Uli

You can put it in a syringe to mix; act sterile, close it and you can keep it for 24 hours to use again (thats what they do also do in my clinic)

Uli,44,Germany

Uli

You can put it in a syringe to mix; act sterile, close it and you can keep it for 24 hours to use again (thats what they do also do in my clinic)

Uli,44,Germany

Uli

Uli,44,Germany

sue35

Mine is also the same way. I feel bad about throwing it out but then I do think of that it really is and how cheap it is so I get over it. Not sure why they package it like that though

sue35

Mine is also the same way. I feel bad about throwing it out but then I do think of that it really is and how cheap it is so I get over it. Not sure why they package it like that though

sue35

AnD

Only my 10% comes in the 15 ml vials- my .9% comes in a 3 ml vial, and then I am supposed to neb 4 ml of it, and either toss the rest, or save it in a sterile syringe in the 'fridge (in a plastic bag) for up to 12 hrs. (I do this if I know I am going to be running really short on time at my next treatment). I have a stash of sterile 10 ml syringes, so I mix it right in the syringe if I need to save a dose.

It takes me 15 -20 mins. to do a dose.

AnD

Only my 10% comes in the 15 ml vials- my .9% comes in a 3 ml vial, and then I am supposed to neb 4 ml of it, and either toss the rest, or save it in a sterile syringe in the 'fridge (in a plastic bag) for up to 12 hrs. (I do this if I know I am going to be running really short on time at my next treatment). I have a stash of sterile 10 ml syringes, so I mix it right in the syringe if I need to save a dose.

AnD

barbc888

thanks to all of you for your insight -- i wasn't thinking about the cost, but it is cheap stuff so maybe i'll just toss the extra out. i'm curious to see what my dr. says too. have a good day!

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

thanks to all of you for your insight -- i wasn't thinking about the cost, but it is cheap stuff so maybe i'll just toss the extra out. i'm curious to see what my dr. says too. have a good day!

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

JazzysMom

Another thought depending on current cost & insurance is to get it thru Foundation Care. They offer premixed HS with different % & size doses. Here is there link:

JazzysMom

Another thought depending on current cost & insurance is to get it thru Foundation Care. They offer premixed HS with different % & size doses. Here is there link: