antibiotics in infants

S

sdelorenzo

It is one thing to prescribe an antibiotic if the doctor sees the patient and their symptoms. It is another when the doctor just calls in the antibotic because a parent calls about a new cough. I wouldn't think it wouldn't hurt to wait a day or two to see if his cough starts to concern you. One thing I have learned is that as a mom I play a vital role in helping make decisions about medications and when to start them. I only call the clinic about my children's congestion when I am ready for them to start antibotics. That is when it is apparent to me that my kids won't be getting over the cold without antibotics. They often do get over the cold without antibotics. Thankfully it is only once or twice a year that they need antibotics. But, the only times my both of my children got pnuemonia was when they were 3 and 4 months old. The cold came quickly and all of the sudden the skin around their neck and ribs were retracting which meant they were having a hard time breathing. So you need to keep a close watch because it can go to the lungs quickly as an infant. Make sure you are doing at least 3 treatments (20 minutes) or so on your baby as well as albuterol. If you are at all concerned that your baby is coughing too much I would start the antibotic.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

O

Olymama

Thanks for all your feedback.

Sharon, do you do 20 minutes each session? so far he is not in to it and cries usually so I tend to do about 5 minutes.

What about probiotics? Now or after the antibiotics are done?

Amanda

O

Olymama

Sharon, do you do 20 minutes each session? so far he is not in to it and cries usually so I tend to do about 5 minutes.

Amanda

O

Olymama

Amanda

O

Olymama

oh and he hasn't been prescribed albuterol. Amoxicillin is the antibiotic they prescribed.

O

Olymama

oh and he hasn't been prescribed albuterol. Amoxicillin is the antibiotic they prescribed.

O

Olymama

amber682

Our CF clinic also says any cough that goes on for more than 5 days needs antibiotics. Sometimes we kind of know it's a cold because me or my hubby has one, so we'll wait the five days. But if no one else is sick and he's really coughing, I'll call sooner, about 3 days into it. I guess I just repeated what Mommafirst said.

amber682

Our CF clinic also says any cough that goes on for more than 5 days needs antibiotics. Sometimes we kind of know it's a cold because me or my hubby has one, so we'll wait the five days. But if no one else is sick and he's really coughing, I'll call sooner, about 3 days into it. I guess I just repeated what Mommafirst said.

amber682

folione

About your probiotic question: We've given my son culturelle sometimes but not always - we just watch and see how his bowels react to the antibiotic. Lately he's not needed the culturelle.

folione

About your probiotic question: We've given my son culturelle sometimes but not always - we just watch and see how his bowels react to the antibiotic. Lately he's not needed the culturelle.

folione

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Olymama</b></i>

Amanda</end quote></div>

When we first started doing CPT, we did 1 1/2-2 minutes on each position -- Think there are 5 of 6 positions -- upper chest, lower chest, armpits, upper back, lower back. This was when he was a couple weeks old. One of us would hold the nebulizer with albuterol/atrovent while the other one beat DS. Once he got used to it, it was 3-5 minutes on each position. As he got used to it, total treatment time averaged about 20 minutes. A lot of times he would be sleeping or fall asleep during CPT. The most difficult time was when he was wide awake when we got home from work. He'd want to play and would struggle -- thank goodness for videos.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Amanda</end quote></div>

When we first started doing CPT, we did 1 1/2-2 minutes on each position -- Think there are 5 of 6 positions -- upper chest, lower chest, armpits, upper back, lower back. This was when he was a couple weeks old. One of us would hold the nebulizer with albuterol/atrovent while the other one beat DS. Once he got used to it, it was 3-5 minutes on each position. As he got used to it, total treatment time averaged about 20 minutes. A lot of times he would be sleeping or fall asleep during CPT. The most difficult time was when he was wide awake when we got home from work. He'd want to play and would struggle -- thank goodness for videos.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Amanda</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

Just to give you a perspective -

Bacteria that CF patients get cannot be fought off with our immune systems. So if you're concerned about his immune system building up, this will never happen with CF bacteria (Staph, PA, Cepacia, MRSA).

Bacteria, left untreated in the lungs, can cause permanent lung damaage. This is lung function that you will never get back.

So I realize not treating with antibiotics it's hard becuase you are admitting that this kid has CF, will need extra help, etc. But the sooner you get over that the better because you don't let lung function back after the lungs have been damaged.

CF patients rarely die of bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Rarely do CF patients get a flare up where no bacteria work and they suddenly go from an FEV1 or 60% straight to deaht in a matter of weeks.

CF patients do, over 90% of the time, die from constant, repeated lung damage over the years. And the way to avoid that lung damage is twofold - preventative therapy (compliance with meds such as the Vest, pulmozyme, HTS, etc) and treatment of problems when they arise (antibiotics).

So if the kid has a lung infection, treat the infection and treat it early. It will prolong his life.

Preventative and proactive, aggressive treatment of CF is what will prolong life.

- 25 F with CF

NoExcuses

Bacteria that CF patients get cannot be fought off with our immune systems. So if you're concerned about his immune system building up, this will never happen with CF bacteria (Staph, PA, Cepacia, MRSA).

Bacteria, left untreated in the lungs, can cause permanent lung damaage. This is lung function that you will never get back.

So I realize not treating with antibiotics it's hard becuase you are admitting that this kid has CF, will need extra help, etc. But the sooner you get over that the better because you don't let lung function back after the lungs have been damaged.

CF patients rarely die of bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Rarely do CF patients get a flare up where no bacteria work and they suddenly go from an FEV1 or 60% straight to deaht in a matter of weeks.

CF patients do, over 90% of the time, die from constant, repeated lung damage over the years. And the way to avoid that lung damage is twofold - preventative therapy (compliance with meds such as the Vest, pulmozyme, HTS, etc) and treatment of problems when they arise (antibiotics).

So if the kid has a lung infection, treat the infection and treat it early. It will prolong his life.

Preventative and proactive, aggressive treatment of CF is what will prolong life.

- 25 F with CF

NoExcuses

- 25 F with CF

purplemartin

My 10 month old son seems to constantly be on antibiotics! As a matter of fact, we just had a port placed as the "big guns" have already been pulled out a few times. Other than that, he is constantly on Omnicef or amox. We were told by our ped. and CF staff that as soon as we notice our sons "normal" cough increasing and sounding worse to call immediately for an appointment so the we can take action, which in most cases is always antibiotics either in the hospital or home--- I agree with Amy, avoiding the lung damage as much possible is more of my concern, so we treat with antibiotics as necessary!