Any ideas about vomiting?

schmj4910

Our 21 month old son has been vomiting once a day for about two weeks now.  It is usually after lunch, when he is laying down for his nap, but not all of the time.  His CF doctors don't know what is causing it.  We have an appointment with his GI doc on Monday.  I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas...we would be very appreciative.<br><br>Here is a list of his daily meds:<br>Lansoprazole<br>Ursodiol<br>ABDEK vitamins<br>Vitamin D<br>Cyproheptadine<br>Miralax<br>Zenpep<br>Ventolin<br>Hypertonic Saline (3%)<br>Pulmozyme<br>DuoCal<br>Salt<br>Vest - 30 min, twice a day<br>Saline Nasal Spray<br><br>None of his meds are new.  He did recently have a g-tube placed (beginning of April).  We haven't had any issues with it.  Last week, he did a barium swallow study, which showed no reflux and no blockages.  They also said it went through his system quickly.<br><br>Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!<br><br>

schmj4910

Our 21 month old son has been vomiting once a day for about two weeks now. It is usually after lunch, when he is laying down for his nap, but not all of the time. His CF doctors don't know what is causing it. We have an appointment with his GI doc on Monday. I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas...we would be very appreciative.<br><br>Here is a list of his daily meds:<br>Lansoprazole<br>Ursodiol<br>ABDEK vitamins<br>Vitamin D<br>Cyproheptadine<br>Miralax<br>Zenpep<br>Ventolin<br>Hypertonic Saline (3%)<br>Pulmozyme<br>DuoCal<br>Salt<br>Vest - 30 min, twice a day<br>Saline Nasal Spray<br><br>None of his meds are new. He did recently have a g-tube placed (beginning of April). We haven't had any issues with it. Last week, he did a barium swallow study, which showed no reflux and no blockages. They also said it went through his system quickly.<br><br>Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!<br><br>

schmj4910

Our 21 month old son has been vomiting once a day for about two weeks now. It is usually after lunch, when he is laying down for his nap, but not all of the time. His CF doctors don't know what is causing it. We have an appointment with his GI doc on Monday. I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas...we would be very appreciative.<br><br>Here is a list of his daily meds:<br>Lansoprazole<br>Ursodiol<br>ABDEK vitamins<br>Vitamin D<br>Cyproheptadine<br>Miralax<br>Zenpep<br>Ventolin<br>Hypertonic Saline (3%)<br>Pulmozyme<br>DuoCal<br>Salt<br>Vest - 30 min, twice a day<br>Saline Nasal Spray<br><br>None of his meds are new. He did recently have a g-tube placed (beginning of April). We haven't had any issues with it. Last week, he did a barium swallow study, which showed no reflux and no blockages. They also said it went through his system quickly.<br><br>Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!<br><br>

just1more

My first thought was reflux, and he is already on an antacid....so if the swallow truly showed no reflux then I'm stumped. I'd definitely talk to the GI.

IF it is reflux, something you can try easy (esp if he is still in a crib) is elevate the head of his bed a little bit. It doesn't have to be much, but a couple of inches (like one hook level on the older cribs) will help if it is reflux.

Good luck.

just1more

My first thought was reflux, and he is already on an antacid....so if the swallow truly showed no reflux then I'm stumped. I'd definitely talk to the GI.

IF it is reflux, something you can try easy (esp if he is still in a crib) is elevate the head of his bed a little bit. It doesn't have to be much, but a couple of inches (like one hook level on the older cribs) will help if it is reflux.

Good luck.

just1more

<br />
<br />IF it is reflux, something you can try easy (esp if he is still in a crib) is elevate the head of his bed a little bit. It doesn't have to be much, but a couple of inches (like one hook level on the older cribs) will help if it is reflux.
<br />
<br />Good luck.
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was on zantac, yet would still have vomiting episodes when he was a baby. And later on in life he had copious amounts which included food that he'd eat HOURS prior. But in his case he had adhesions which would slow down the digestive process, and eventually let to blockage. Doesn't sound like that could be an issue as the swallow study showed things moving on fairly quickly...

Hopefully some of the other parents whose children have g-tubes will be able to offer some ideas.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was on zantac, yet would still have vomiting episodes when he was a baby. And later on in life he had copious amounts which included food that he'd eat HOURS prior. But in his case he had adhesions which would slow down the digestive process, and eventually let to blockage. Doesn't sound like that could be an issue as the swallow study showed things moving on fairly quickly...

Hopefully some of the other parents whose children have g-tubes will be able to offer some ideas.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Hopefully some of the other parents whose children have g-tubes will be able to offer some ideas.

schmj4910

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I initially thought it was reflux. Then we did the swallow study. My problem with the swallow study is that they just put it through the g-tube, they did not have him swallow any...so we didn't see anything in the esophagus. They said the stuff in his stomach didn't reflux so that wasn't the issue. Is there something that could be happening in the esophagus? Liza, you mentioned adhesions, can you explain that in more detail please?

I'm now thinking that the Lansoprazole is wearing off. We give 5 ml in the morning and 5 ml at night. The vomiting seems to be in the middle of the day. I'm going to see if we can give it three times a day. I'm worried that his reflux keeps worsening...is this an indication of a larger problem?

Thanks!

schmj4910

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I initially thought it was reflux. Then we did the swallow study. My problem with the swallow study is that they just put it through the g-tube, they did not have him swallow any...so we didn't see anything in the esophagus. They said the stuff in his stomach didn't reflux so that wasn't the issue. Is there something that could be happening in the esophagus? Liza, you mentioned adhesions, can you explain that in more detail please?

I'm now thinking that the Lansoprazole is wearing off. We give 5 ml in the morning and 5 ml at night. The vomiting seems to be in the middle of the day. I'm going to see if we can give it three times a day. I'm worried that his reflux keeps worsening...is this an indication of a larger problem?

Thanks!

schmj4910

<br />
<br />I'm now thinking that the Lansoprazole is wearing off. We give 5 ml in the morning and 5 ml at night. The vomiting seems to be in the middle of the day. I'm going to see if we can give it three times a day. I'm worried that his reflux keeps worsening...is this an indication of a larger problem?
<br />
<br />Thanks!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had surgery as a newborn due to a bowel obstruction. As he grew scar tissue at the surgical site on his small intestine formed and slowed down digestion, his enzymes couldn't do what they were supposed to do and a blockage formed years later. Prior to the blockage, he'd have weird vomiting episodes -- we thought maybe it was the switch to pill form of zithromax, thought it was car sickness, reflux... We were documenting EVERYTHING that he ate and did to try and find a pattern, except there wasn't really any rhyme or reason.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had surgery as a newborn due to a bowel obstruction. As he grew scar tissue at the surgical site on his small intestine formed and slowed down digestion, his enzymes couldn't do what they were supposed to do and a blockage formed years later. Prior to the blockage, he'd have weird vomiting episodes -- we thought maybe it was the switch to pill form of zithromax, thought it was car sickness, reflux... We were documenting EVERYTHING that he ate and did to try and find a pattern, except there wasn't really any rhyme or reason.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Brosia

Wow sounds like my last 6 weeks. My son has been vomiting once or twice a day for just over a month. I kept calling the CF nurse who would tell me it was a stomach virus and to take him to the ped. (I was also told that children over the age of 1 couldn't have reflux! HA!) At the 3rd week the ped was with me thinking that it had something to do with reflux even though he was on omaprazole. The Cf center finally increased his dose of omaprazole but after another 1 1/2 weeks of vomiting it changed to bright yellow and green. (Which I later was told was bile) So after an admittance into the hospital to rule out any obstruction among other things it was noted that my son did have reflux and a change in the meds to lansoprazole helped immediately. My son had several tests ran including the barium swallow. The test took about 30 min and my son took it by mouth. After they were done checking what they needed to they made my son cry and cough among other things to see if reflux occured. It was then they noticed the reflux. Now since my son was vomiting so much for so long he is scheduled to have a broncoscope and endoscope done to see if there is any damage from the reflux. Now I know that your son is on lansoprazole already but maybe the dose needs to be increased and also you might want to ask the GI about either doing another barium swallow from the mouth and having your son cry, cough, etc. Or possibly having an endoscope to determine if there are any problems that they wouldn't be able to detect by barium swallow. I hope your son feels better and stops vomiting and I hope they find a reason for the vomiting.

Brosia

Wow sounds like my last 6 weeks. My son has been vomiting once or twice a day for just over a month. I kept calling the CF nurse who would tell me it was a stomach virus and to take him to the ped. (I was also told that children over the age of 1 couldn't have reflux! HA!) At the 3rd week the ped was with me thinking that it had something to do with reflux even though he was on omaprazole. The Cf center finally increased his dose of omaprazole but after another 1 1/2 weeks of vomiting it changed to bright yellow and green. (Which I later was told was bile) So after an admittance into the hospital to rule out any obstruction among other things it was noted that my son did have reflux and a change in the meds to lansoprazole helped immediately. My son had several tests ran including the barium swallow. The test took about 30 min and my son took it by mouth. After they were done checking what they needed to they made my son cry and cough among other things to see if reflux occured. It was then they noticed the reflux. Now since my son was vomiting so much for so long he is scheduled to have a broncoscope and endoscope done to see if there is any damage from the reflux. Now I know that your son is on lansoprazole already but maybe the dose needs to be increased and also you might want to ask the GI about either doing another barium swallow from the mouth and having your son cry, cough, etc. Or possibly having an endoscope to determine if there are any problems that they wouldn't be able to detect by barium swallow. I hope your son feels better and stops vomiting and I hope they find a reason for the vomiting.

Brosia

schmj4910

Hi! Thanks for writing! Yes, our GI nurse kept saying it was a virus, too, and that it would pass. Well, it hasn't passed. We're on the highest dose of Lansoprazole for his body size and the swallow study said he didn't have reflux. The GI nurse said giving the barium through the mouth would not have shown anything else. So, I'm now thinking enlarged tonsils. Every time he eats he gags. I made an appointment with an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor that specializes in CF, but they couldn't get him in until July 8. I guess no one considers daily vomiting serious! I've resorted to feeding him soft foods and g-tube feedings for now. I'm going to see if anyone on here knows about enlarged tonsils.

I'm glad you've got your problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions!

schmj4910

Hi! Thanks for writing! Yes, our GI nurse kept saying it was a virus, too, and that it would pass. Well, it hasn't passed. We're on the highest dose of Lansoprazole for his body size and the swallow study said he didn't have reflux. The GI nurse said giving the barium through the mouth would not have shown anything else. So, I'm now thinking enlarged tonsils. Every time he eats he gags. I made an appointment with an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor that specializes in CF, but they couldn't get him in until July 8. I guess no one considers daily vomiting serious! I've resorted to feeding him soft foods and g-tube feedings for now. I'm going to see if anyone on here knows about enlarged tonsils.

I'm glad you've got your problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions!