Any suggestions for reducing sputum production?

B

Bridge76

Hi there, I know this is a bit of an obvious thread, but I wonder if anyone can offer any help. I've grown achromobacter in my lungs for several years now, but had a really stable lung funtion of 35-40% FEV1 for over 10 years (I'm 33). My probem is that my cough is just so productive. I do at least 3 hours of physio a day (in 3 sessions) - and could easily produce enough for a 4th session each day. Other friends with CF don't seem to produce nearly as much 'gunk' as me and I wonder if there's anything 'alternative' anyone has ever found to help? I've tried cutting out things like dairy and bananas from my diet, as I was advised by a nuttitionist that these are mucus forming. At first I noticed a difference, then, just went back to normal (so probably a placebo-effect). Has anyone found any foods make things better/worse, or found anything helps from Chinese medicine?
Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Thanks, Bridge

B

Bridge76

Hi there, I know this is a bit of an obvious thread, but I wonder if anyone can offer any help. I've grown achromobacter in my lungs for several years now, but had a really stable lung funtion of 35-40% FEV1 for over 10 years (I'm 33). My probem is that my cough is just so productive. I do at least 3 hours of physio a day (in 3 sessions) - and could easily produce enough for a 4th session each day. Other friends with CF don't seem to produce nearly as much 'gunk' as me and I wonder if there's anything 'alternative' anyone has ever found to help? I've tried cutting out things like dairy and bananas from my diet, as I was advised by a nuttitionist that these are mucus forming. At first I noticed a difference, then, just went back to normal (so probably a placebo-effect). Has anyone found any foods make things better/worse, or found anything helps from Chinese medicine?
Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Thanks, Bridge

B

Bridge76

<br />Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
<br />Thanks, Bridge

ymikhale

I found that freshly squeezed lemon juice helped my daughter. She is only two and is not producing that much, but nowdays the RT that sees her every day is having a hard time getting anything much at all.

ymikhale

I found that freshly squeezed lemon juice helped my daughter. She is only two and is not producing that much, but nowdays the RT that sees her every day is having a hard time getting anything much at all.

ymikhale

B

Bridge76

That's interesting - what made you try that? How do you get it down a 2 year old?

B

Bridge76

That's interesting - what made you try that? How do you get it down a 2 year old?

B

Bridge76

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Bridge76</b></i>

That's interesting - what made you try that? How do you get it down a 2 year old?</end quote></div>

I found it here (someone else had good results so i saw no harm in trying):

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.diet-blog.com/share/2009/06/cystic-fibrosis-dramatic-improvement-anyone-had-this-or-other-medical-improvement-keeping-diet-alkal.php
">http://www.diet-blog.com/share...eeping-diet-alkal.php
</a>
I started by giving her 2 teaspoons each time and she swallowed it fine. Now she got to like lemon water so it is even easier. She does have a very healthy diet which probably also contributed to the improvement.

ymikhale

That's interesting - what made you try that? How do you get it down a 2 year old?</end quote>

I found it here (someone else had good results so i saw no harm in trying):

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.diet-blog.com/share/2009/06/cystic-fibrosis-dramatic-improvement-anyone-had-this-or-other-medical-improvement-keeping-diet-alkal.php
</a>
I started by giving her 2 teaspoons each time and she swallowed it fine. Now she got to like lemon water so it is even easier. She does have a very healthy diet which probably also contributed to the improvement.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />That's interesting - what made you try that? How do you get it down a 2 year old?</end quote>
<br />
<br />I found it here (someone else had good results so i saw no harm in trying):
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.diet-blog.com/share/2009/06/cystic-fibrosis-dramatic-improvement-anyone-had-this-or-other-medical-improvement-keeping-diet-alkal.php
</a><br />
<br />I started by giving her 2 teaspoons each time and she swallowed it fine. Now she got to like lemon water so it is even easier. She does have a very healthy diet which probably also contributed to the improvement.

origen

I don't know about reducing sputum, but to thin it out try the following:

NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) - I am taking the Fizzy NAC stuff everyone here talks about. I'm still not convinced that it's any different than just buying Jarrow brand, but I'm going to stick with it for a few months. I take 900 mg three times a day away from meals.
Fenugreek - Just take the dose recommended on the bottle.
Cayenne - 1/4 tsp per meal, if you can tolerate it. You can also get it in capsules. Also, the higher the Heat Units (H.U.) the better. I just got some 160K H.U. Normal Cayenne is only about 30K H.U. Check a health food store.

Also, Turmeric has been helpful for me. I take the Jarrow brand 1 capsule 3x a day with meals. I think it probably does reduce the amount of sputum for me.

I also take Magnesium Glycinate. Magnesium helps open the bronchial passage ways.

I'll post more if I can think of more.

Take Care,
Origen

origen

NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) - I am taking the Fizzy NAC stuff everyone here talks about. I'm still not convinced that it's any different than just buying Jarrow brand, but I'm going to stick with it for a few months. I take 900 mg three times a day away from meals.
Fenugreek - Just take the dose recommended on the bottle.
Cayenne - 1/4 tsp per meal, if you can tolerate it. You can also get it in capsules. Also, the higher the Heat Units (H.U.) the better. I just got some 160K H.U. Normal Cayenne is only about 30K H.U. Check a health food store.

Also, Turmeric has been helpful for me. I take the Jarrow brand 1 capsule 3x a day with meals. I think it probably does reduce the amount of sputum for me.

I also take Magnesium Glycinate. Magnesium helps open the bronchial passage ways.

I'll post more if I can think of more.

Take Care,
Origen

origen

<br />
<br />NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) - I am taking the Fizzy NAC stuff everyone here talks about. I'm still not convinced that it's any different than just buying Jarrow brand, but I'm going to stick with it for a few months. I take 900 mg three times a day away from meals.
<br />Fenugreek - Just take the dose recommended on the bottle.
<br />Cayenne - 1/4 tsp per meal, if you can tolerate it. You can also get it in capsules. Also, the higher the Heat Units (H.U.) the better. I just got some 160K H.U. Normal Cayenne is only about 30K H.U. Check a health food store.
<br />
<br />Also, Turmeric has been helpful for me. I take the Jarrow brand 1 capsule 3x a day with meals. I think it probably does reduce the amount of sputum for me.
<br />
<br />I also take Magnesium Glycinate. Magnesium helps open the bronchial passage ways.
<br />
<br />I'll post more if I can think of more.
<br />
<br />Take Care,
<br />Origen