Anybody try a dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar free diet?

Kristen

I like the idea of trying one thing at a time. I eliminated dairy for about six months while I was nursing (because I thought maybe my daughter had a milk protein intolerance). I did not notice any difference in my health. I am interested in seeing how eliminating grains and sugar may help, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Kristen

I like the idea of trying one thing at a time. I eliminated dairy for about six months while I was nursing (because I thought maybe my daughter had a milk protein intolerance). I did not notice any difference in my health. I am interested in seeing how eliminating grains and sugar may help, but I've been too lazy to do it.

AmyMaz

Thank you so much for the feedback - it's really helpful! I have terrible reflux and bloating. I never thought dairy would be a contributing factor. I think I'm going to take dairy out first and reduce the sugar. Then try the wheat. I love pasta and bread! But, I think I will love feeling better even more, if gluten is a problem.

AmyMaz

Thank you so much for the feedback - it's really helpful! I have terrible reflux and bloating. I never thought dairy would be a contributing factor. I think I'm going to take dairy out first and reduce the sugar. Then try the wheat. I love pasta and bread! But, I think I will love feeling better even more, if gluten is a problem.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've been eating mostly Paleo for about 6 months...i say "mostly" because the cupcake i ate today was definitely not paleo! sugar has been my kryptonite. stopped eating it completely for about 6 weeks and my body was so addicted that i was a miserable person to be around so i promptly started eating sugar again...limited quantities of course--mostly dark chocolate.
now i am PI but have maintained a healthy weight for a number of years with enzymes and when i started paleo i did lose about 5 pounds which was great for me because i had the cushion so the loss didn't have a negative impact. there are lots of high calorie/high fat foods that are much more healthy for you than fast food and the like....so if you have trouble maintaining weight be sure to look into those.
my diet is primarily meats, veggies, and some fruit. 95% dairy free (can't give up the occasional ice cream or cheese!) and gluten free....since doing that i noticed a lot less bloating and stomach issues....i don't really use gluten free substitutes for pasta and stuff like that...i just don't eat it any more or use veggies in place of the pasta/bread/grain. i found that after i stopped eating those types of grain based carbs that if i went back to eating them they made me incredibly tired.
a previous poster mentioned Mark's Daily Apple as a great resource...it definitely is. also looking up paleo/primal websites and blogs will give you lots of meal ideas and recipes to get you started!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've been eating mostly Paleo for about 6 months...i say "mostly" because the cupcake i ate today was definitely not paleo! sugar has been my kryptonite. stopped eating it completely for about 6 weeks and my body was so addicted that i was a miserable person to be around so i promptly started eating sugar again...limited quantities of course--mostly dark chocolate.
now i am PI but have maintained a healthy weight for a number of years with enzymes and when i started paleo i did lose about 5 pounds which was great for me because i had the cushion so the loss didn't have a negative impact. there are lots of high calorie/high fat foods that are much more healthy for you than fast food and the like....so if you have trouble maintaining weight be sure to look into those.
my diet is primarily meats, veggies, and some fruit. 95% dairy free (can't give up the occasional ice cream or cheese!) and gluten free....since doing that i noticed a lot less bloating and stomach issues....i don't really use gluten free substitutes for pasta and stuff like that...i just don't eat it any more or use veggies in place of the pasta/bread/grain. i found that after i stopped eating those types of grain based carbs that if i went back to eating them they made me incredibly tired.
a previous poster mentioned Mark's Daily Apple as a great resource...it definitely is. also looking up paleo/primal websites and blogs will give you lots of meal ideas and recipes to get you started!

Tisha

How funny you post this now! I started on it Wednesday this week and I'm feeling so much better!
It started with my interaction with an Italian CF-er, 30 years old, who reported that while following it strictly for one year (and making it alcalinizing - also no coffee, no wine, and a triple shot of wheatgrass juice a day) he was completely mucus-free, inflammation-free, not a single cold, and feeling great. He couldn't keep it up strictly due to social reasons (he got depressed of not being able to hang out with friends and eat with them) and when relaxing the grip the mucus is back, but he got rid of the CFRD and that is still gone.
So I bought Marion Kaplan's book on dieting without gluten and diaries, and have started by cutting off gluten (I must say I don't miss it much!) and reducing cheese to one serving a day (I had already cut off milk ages ago, and yogurt almost completely, but I do love cheese).
Two days later, digestion is much better and I have more energy. I was showing a lot of the symptoms in the list, for gluten intolerance.
So I'm very excited about this!
The book says just by cutting off gluten two weeks entirely you should be feeling a big difference.

Tisha

How funny you post this now! I started on it Wednesday this week and I'm feeling so much better!
It started with my interaction with an Italian CF-er, 30 years old, who reported that while following it strictly for one year (and making it alcalinizing - also no coffee, no wine, and a triple shot of wheatgrass juice a day) he was completely mucus-free, inflammation-free, not a single cold, and feeling great. He couldn't keep it up strictly due to social reasons (he got depressed of not being able to hang out with friends and eat with them) and when relaxing the grip the mucus is back, but he got rid of the CFRD and that is still gone.
So I bought Marion Kaplan's book on dieting without gluten and diaries, and have started by cutting off gluten (I must say I don't miss it much!) and reducing cheese to one serving a day (I had already cut off milk ages ago, and yogurt almost completely, but I do love cheese).
Two days later, digestion is much better and I have more energy. I was showing a lot of the symptoms in the list, for gluten intolerance.
So I'm very excited about this!
The book says just by cutting off gluten two weeks entirely you should be feeling a big difference.

erock77

I've dabbled in different healthy diets, and do notice a correlation between feeling congested and more sluggish after certain meals. Though sometimes it's tough to narrow down what the culprit's were.
Can you offer some more advice on recipe books or resources? I want to do it, but it seems somewhat daunting.
I'm already vegetarian with occasional fish, don't indulge in dairy much, and have tried to cut down sugar often and wheat at times. But I also have to work to keep weight on, and I'm not always motivated to cook so simple recipes would be ideal. I think it'll be hard to keep weight on after cutting out: meat, dairy, gluten and sugar entirely. I expect I'll have to make most of my meals and cut down dining or ordering out quite a bit. Any tips on doing all this with enough calories and enough flavor to make me want to make it and eat a lot of it?
Thanks.

erock77

I've dabbled in different healthy diets, and do notice a correlation between feeling congested and more sluggish after certain meals. Though sometimes it's tough to narrow down what the culprit's were.
Can you offer some more advice on recipe books or resources? I want to do it, but it seems somewhat daunting.
I'm already vegetarian with occasional fish, don't indulge in dairy much, and have tried to cut down sugar often and wheat at times. But I also have to work to keep weight on, and I'm not always motivated to cook so simple recipes would be ideal. I think it'll be hard to keep weight on after cutting out: meat, dairy, gluten and sugar entirely. I expect I'll have to make most of my meals and cut down dining or ordering out quite a bit. Any tips on doing all this with enough calories and enough flavor to make me want to make it and eat a lot of it?
Thanks.

ehtansky21

I do a lot of baking with coconut milk and gluten free flour. The coconut milk is much higher in calorie and fat count then milk. Both my boys are ridiculously pancreatic insufficient and their weight keeps going up. They enjoy rice pasta and ancient harvest pasta. Check out my blog below for the gluten free recipes I use regularly.

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

I do a lot of baking with coconut milk and gluten free flour. The coconut milk is much higher in calorie and fat count then milk. Both my boys are ridiculously pancreatic insufficient and their weight keeps going up. They enjoy rice pasta and ancient harvest pasta. Check out my blog below for the gluten free recipes I use regularly.

blessings,
missa

jdmd

I am very interested in this thread because I have been eating mostly paleo for about 2 months and am amazed at how much better I feel. I say "mostly" because I still eat grass fed butter and some GF raw cream and I have cheated a few times with a glass of wine. I've been doing a lot of research into this diet (Mark's Daily Apple, Robb Wolfe site/podcast, Chris Kresser site/podcast, and numerous books), and am intrigued by the idea of cutting inflammation WAY down the natural way--by eating correctly. Giving up gluten was easy...sugar hard, but after two weeks not so bad, milk easy (I use coconut milk). When I first tried this a year or so ago, I lost too much weight and gave up. This time I've been very careful to increase both meat AND fat (GF butter, coconut oil in/on everything, olive oil and my favorite...BACON). After two lbs weight loss, I am stable now. Not only are GI issues better (when I titrate my enzymes correctly with this new, higher fat way of eating for me), but my lungs are better as well. After morning treatment, I am clear and I stay that way.
I'd love to hear any anecdotal stories about this way of eating from you all. I'm thinking of writing a series of blog posts about it.
Thanks.

jdmd

I am very interested in this thread because I have been eating mostly paleo for about 2 months and am amazed at how much better I feel. I say "mostly" because I still eat grass fed butter and some GF raw cream and I have cheated a few times with a glass of wine. I've been doing a lot of research into this diet (Mark's Daily Apple, Robb Wolfe site/podcast, Chris Kresser site/podcast, and numerous books), and am intrigued by the idea of cutting inflammation WAY down the natural way--by eating correctly. Giving up gluten was easy...sugar hard, but after two weeks not so bad, milk easy (I use coconut milk). When I first tried this a year or so ago, I lost too much weight and gave up. This time I've been very careful to increase both meat AND fat (GF butter, coconut oil in/on everything, olive oil and my favorite...BACON). After two lbs weight loss, I am stable now. Not only are GI issues better (when I titrate my enzymes correctly with this new, higher fat way of eating for me), but my lungs are better as well. After morning treatment, I am clear and I stay that way.
I'd love to hear any anecdotal stories about this way of eating from you all. I'm thinking of writing a series of blog posts about it.
Thanks.

rmotion

Gluten Free is the way to be. Being Gf has completly improved my health. I too had to find answers through a health practitioner. She said I might have an allergy to wheat. So I kept researching and looking for tests that stated so. IGE/ IGA antibodies, which were elevated. Then I had a genetic test for the celiac gene which was positive and activated due to systemic meltdown of my GI system.
For so many years my bowels were a mess, the answer from CF docs were - more enzymes, different enzymes, take more prilosec, take more steriods, take megace, stop pestering me with this you have CF of course you have gas, bloating, loose smelly stools....
Now my bowels are perfect so much so I want to show them to all I have offended in the past.
Gluten is a problem for almost 50% of the population. Celiac is the tip of the iceberg. Please look at this article print it highlight it and show your doc. - ALL CF'ERS SHOULD CHECK TO SEE IF THEY HAVE A GLUTEN INTOLERANCE!
www.greenmedinfo.com - The dark side of wheat !
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-side-wheat-new-perspectives-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

As we know that nothing is a cure all this is one part of returning and maintaining our health.
Look at some of my other posts on CF and nutrition.
http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=610454&enterthread=y

rmotion

Gluten Free is the way to be. Being Gf has completly improved my health. I too had to find answers through a health practitioner. She said I might have an allergy to wheat. So I kept researching and looking for tests that stated so. IGE/ IGA antibodies, which were elevated. Then I had a genetic test for the celiac gene which was positive and activated due to systemic meltdown of my GI system.
For so many years my bowels were a mess, the answer from CF docs were - more enzymes, different enzymes, take more prilosec, take more steriods, take megace, stop pestering me with this you have CF of course you have gas, bloating, loose smelly stools....
Now my bowels are perfect so much so I want to show them to all I have offended in the past.
Gluten is a problem for almost 50% of the population. Celiac is the tip of the iceberg. Please look at this article print it highlight it and show your doc. - ALL CF'ERS SHOULD CHECK TO SEE IF THEY HAVE A GLUTEN INTOLERANCE!
www.greenmedinfo.com - The dark side of wheat !
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-side-wheat-new-perspectives-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

As we know that nothing is a cure all this is one part of returning and maintaining our health.
Look at some of my other posts on CF and nutrition.
http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=903&threadid=610454&enterthread=y

mamaScarlett

I've tried both, but not the sugar free.
To me, the best way to be is GF. The best I've ever felt is when I'm GF. I can't be totally dairy free. However, I cut it way back to only cream in my coffee. My coffee is my one and only vice/necessity that I can't give up. (I have 2 kids, come on)
I love a GF diet bc it is not that hard to maintain. You can find healthy alternatives that are just as good as non GF. The 2 things that just aren't the same though are bread (meaning the thick italian type you eat with pasta) and pasta itself. There are substitutes, but they're not the same. I've adjusted my expectations though, and can live without these things. And on the weekend I let myself go a tiny bit, mainly in social situations. But after being GF for so long and feeling so well on it, I don't have the desire to eat some of these foods anymore.
I saw a doctor in nyc that performs colonics, and is a nutritionist. I'm not saying colonics are for everyone, but for me they have worked wonders. My Cf doctor totally supports this. My GI issues have all but disappeared since I've begun colonics and followed the advice of the nutritionist. (GI, low dairy, no fried food) Even my pfts have been affected-from fev1 of 57% to 75% in 3 months.

mamaScarlett

I've tried both, but not the sugar free.
To me, the best way to be is GF. The best I've ever felt is when I'm GF. I can't be totally dairy free. However, I cut it way back to only cream in my coffee. My coffee is my one and only vice/necessity that I can't give up. (I have 2 kids, come on)
I love a GF diet bc it is not that hard to maintain. You can find healthy alternatives that are just as good as non GF. The 2 things that just aren't the same though are bread (meaning the thick italian type you eat with pasta) and pasta itself. There are substitutes, but they're not the same. I've adjusted my expectations though, and can live without these things. And on the weekend I let myself go a tiny bit, mainly in social situations. But after being GF for so long and feeling so well on it, I don't have the desire to eat some of these foods anymore.
I saw a doctor in nyc that performs colonics, and is a nutritionist. I'm not saying colonics are for everyone, but for me they have worked wonders. My Cf doctor totally supports this. My GI issues have all but disappeared since I've begun colonics and followed the advice of the nutritionist. (GI, low dairy, no fried food) Even my pfts have been affected-from fev1 of 57% to 75% in 3 months.

Tisha

We should all create a web or blog of some sort entitled "dietary fixes for CF" or something like that, sharing our experiences openly!
After 5 days gluten-free, my FEV1 increased 2 percentage points (I realize that's anecdotally small but at least encouraging). I'm excited about going on!
I've been told Dr. Seignalet's book is a must, but I'm a bit tight on budget to buy a lot of books. Thanks for the links, I'll be checking on them!

Tisha

We should all create a web or blog of some sort entitled "dietary fixes for CF" or something like that, sharing our experiences openly!
After 5 days gluten-free, my FEV1 increased 2 percentage points (I realize that's anecdotally small but at least encouraging). I'm excited about going on!
I've been told Dr. Seignalet's book is a must, but I'm a bit tight on budget to buy a lot of books. Thanks for the links, I'll be checking on them!