Anyone been through IVF

tara

Hi Kelly,

My standard treatment routine is nebs twice a day and vest once a day. Of course when I get sick, the nebs and vest increase.

When the twins were real small I found that I was feeding them a lot and I usualy found time for my nebs while I was breastfeeding or pumping. (and/or bottle feeding) Now that they are older, I typically do my morning treatment while they watch TV with me in bed for an hour (I have xopenex, plumozyme, HTS and Tobi plus the vest) My evening treatment gets done about 12 hours later, once the twins are in bed at 7pm. Most days (for the last year) I sneak in an afternoon treatment before our nap. Yes, OUR nap! I nap when the twins nap, that's the rule. It doesn't matter how many dirty dishes are in the sink or how badly the laundry needs to get done. I am "resting" when the twins are resting. That's how I try and stay healthy.

I think the hardest part for me was the newborn stage. It's just a 24x7 cycle that starts over 3 hours after you started it the first time! (not 3 hours after you finish) Diapering, feeding, burping, swaddling.... Once they started sleeping longer periods at night it got much better. I love sleep!

I couldn't do ANY of this without a hands on husband. He barely gets in the door most days and he is all over taking care of the kids with me. We don't have "jobs" around the house, we just do what needs to be done. He helps out a lot! It's whoever has their hands free!

I've been much sicker in the last year, than ever before (for me). So my husband has done a lot for me and the kids. He works outside the home, I'm on social security disability. If you think you qualify for disability now, before pg, get that app going! Once you are pregnant there is a bias not to award the status. It sucks, but it's true. I applied when I was 20 weeks. I just hit a wall and my doctor always said, when you're ready, we need to pull you out of work. Unfortunately for me it coincided with my pregnancy, so it looked like I just wanted to "get paid" to stay at home. I wish! I made much more money before I quit working, thank you very much! LOL! It's just smarter for me to not be exposed to those germs right now. And daycare. What a breeding ground for germs! For a normal family it wouldn't be such a big deal, my kids will get over the colds, but in my current state of health the smallest cold seems to send me into pneumonia. My twins are fairly healthy, from not going to daycare. But that is also a choice we made. Wether I was sick or not, I was not going to work when we had kids. Both DH and I come from SAHM families. It just made sense to us.

Sorry for the ramble. I could go on for days. I just love talking about myself. LOL!

Tara

tara

Hi Kelly,

My standard treatment routine is nebs twice a day and vest once a day. Of course when I get sick, the nebs and vest increase.

When the twins were real small I found that I was feeding them a lot and I usualy found time for my nebs while I was breastfeeding or pumping. (and/or bottle feeding) Now that they are older, I typically do my morning treatment while they watch TV with me in bed for an hour (I have xopenex, plumozyme, HTS and Tobi plus the vest) My evening treatment gets done about 12 hours later, once the twins are in bed at 7pm. Most days (for the last year) I sneak in an afternoon treatment before our nap. Yes, OUR nap! I nap when the twins nap, that's the rule. It doesn't matter how many dirty dishes are in the sink or how badly the laundry needs to get done. I am "resting" when the twins are resting. That's how I try and stay healthy.

I think the hardest part for me was the newborn stage. It's just a 24x7 cycle that starts over 3 hours after you started it the first time! (not 3 hours after you finish) Diapering, feeding, burping, swaddling.... Once they started sleeping longer periods at night it got much better. I love sleep!

I couldn't do ANY of this without a hands on husband. He barely gets in the door most days and he is all over taking care of the kids with me. We don't have "jobs" around the house, we just do what needs to be done. He helps out a lot! It's whoever has their hands free!

I've been much sicker in the last year, than ever before (for me). So my husband has done a lot for me and the kids. He works outside the home, I'm on social security disability. If you think you qualify for disability now, before pg, get that app going! Once you are pregnant there is a bias not to award the status. It sucks, but it's true. I applied when I was 20 weeks. I just hit a wall and my doctor always said, when you're ready, we need to pull you out of work. Unfortunately for me it coincided with my pregnancy, so it looked like I just wanted to "get paid" to stay at home. I wish! I made much more money before I quit working, thank you very much! LOL! It's just smarter for me to not be exposed to those germs right now. And daycare. What a breeding ground for germs! For a normal family it wouldn't be such a big deal, my kids will get over the colds, but in my current state of health the smallest cold seems to send me into pneumonia. My twins are fairly healthy, from not going to daycare. But that is also a choice we made. Wether I was sick or not, I was not going to work when we had kids. Both DH and I come from SAHM families. It just made sense to us.

Sorry for the ramble. I could go on for days. I just love talking about myself. LOL!

Tara

hopeforever601

Thank you again ladies! Wow I am so glad I found you all to talk to during this time. Would you all mind if I kept writing to you all during the stim process ect? I am overwelmed and don't have really anyone else to talk to who has cf and going through all this..

TAra,
You spoke about disability. Right now I am still ok but I don't plan on working when we get pregnant/kids. Do your kids also get some of your disability? I mean can they draw off of yours and you still get some? That was one of my fears if we had kids and I got really sick if I could draw and have them draw from my account due to a setback financially if we had to pay more out of pocket for meds.

Well I am on bcp pills until April 24th. I hope that day will bring many answers to a lot of questions.

1) Are you still allowed to be intimate with your dh when you are going through invitro/pregnancy?

2) How often did you go in for ultrasounds during that time of stims?

3) Can I use my port for any of these shots?

KElly

hopeforever601

Thank you again ladies! Wow I am so glad I found you all to talk to during this time. Would you all mind if I kept writing to you all during the stim process ect? I am overwelmed and don't have really anyone else to talk to who has cf and going through all this..

TAra,
You spoke about disability. Right now I am still ok but I don't plan on working when we get pregnant/kids. Do your kids also get some of your disability? I mean can they draw off of yours and you still get some? That was one of my fears if we had kids and I got really sick if I could draw and have them draw from my account due to a setback financially if we had to pay more out of pocket for meds.

Well I am on bcp pills until April 24th. I hope that day will bring many answers to a lot of questions.

1) Are you still allowed to be intimate with your dh when you are going through invitro/pregnancy?

KElly

hopeforever601

TAra,

KElly

mom2lillian

1) yes but towards end you may not feel like it if your ovaries are as full as mine were

2) every 2-3 days but depends on your response

3)no the shots for IVF are SQ or IM (muscle or fat) not meant to go into the blood it is important to take the shots exactly as described in your class

mom2lillian

1) yes but towards end you may not feel like it if your ovaries are as full as mine were

3)no the shots for IVF are SQ or IM (muscle or fat) not meant to go into the blood it is important to take the shots exactly as described in your class

mom2lillian

tara

Hi Kelly,

When I first left work, I went directly onto California state disability. It was really easy to get. It is based on income, so basically your take home amount is 2/3 of your current grosss income. I applied for SSDI about 3 months later. It took 24 months to recieve my payments for SSDI and CA state disability lasted only 12 months. You are right, my children also receive benefits. Your dependent(s) receive 50% of your payment. So if you receive $1000/mo, your child will get $500/mo. If you have two children, as I do, they split that amount. So both kids get $250/each. (not $500 each) You will not receive more money if you have more children, it just gets divided up per child, it will always be 50% of your monthly amount. I'm still working out details but I think we finally will get our full complete SSDI payments this month, 33 months after becoming disabled!

As for your questions, there is such a thing called "pelvic rest" during IVF. I don't remember when it starts. I think it might start 24 or 48 hours before DH gives his sample for the IVF. But, like Nicole said, your ovaries will feel full and might be somewhat painful, you may not be in the mood for sex during the stim portion when the follies are growing. I do remember my ovaries "bouncing" around when I walked. They get pretty big! And sore. I had about 40 follies (only 20 mature) and only 11 eggs, and only 5 fertilized. And my E2 (estrogen) levels were through the roof, at over 8000. (yes, eight thousand) It's any miracle that I did not suffer from OHSS.

I'm pretty sure we took advantage of our last chance to have sex though, since you might be on pelvic rest for several weeks if you become pregnant. It had to be about 2 days before egg retrieval I think. I think I was supposed to be restricted from sex for 8 weeks after my BFP. It's different for every RE.

I remember the u/s's being very frequent. Every few days at first and then more frequent, maybe even daily toward the end.

As Nicole stated as well, don't use your port for these injections! they are not IV injections. They are either sub-q or IM. It depends on the protocol. Most stims are sub-q, but I have heard of some people getting lucky with IM stims as well. Yuck! I had DH do all my shots. I couldn't stick myself. I couldn't even watch. And then luck would have it I became diabetic and had to give myself insulin everytime I ate. Oh well. Luck of the draw I guess.

Keep the questions coming! And good luck! Where are you from? I live near Sacramento, CA.

Tara

tara

Hi Kelly,

When I first left work, I went directly onto California state disability. It was really easy to get. It is based on income, so basically your take home amount is 2/3 of your current grosss income. I applied for SSDI about 3 months later. It took 24 months to recieve my payments for SSDI and CA state disability lasted only 12 months. You are right, my children also receive benefits. Your dependent(s) receive 50% of your payment. So if you receive $1000/mo, your child will get $500/mo. If you have two children, as I do, they split that amount. So both kids get $250/each. (not $500 each) You will not receive more money if you have more children, it just gets divided up per child, it will always be 50% of your monthly amount. I'm still working out details but I think we finally will get our full complete SSDI payments this month, 33 months after becoming disabled!

As for your questions, there is such a thing called "pelvic rest" during IVF. I don't remember when it starts. I think it might start 24 or 48 hours before DH gives his sample for the IVF. But, like Nicole said, your ovaries will feel full and might be somewhat painful, you may not be in the mood for sex during the stim portion when the follies are growing. I do remember my ovaries "bouncing" around when I walked. They get pretty big! And sore. I had about 40 follies (only 20 mature) and only 11 eggs, and only 5 fertilized. And my E2 (estrogen) levels were through the roof, at over 8000. (yes, eight thousand) It's any miracle that I did not suffer from OHSS.

I'm pretty sure we took advantage of our last chance to have sex though, since you might be on pelvic rest for several weeks if you become pregnant. It had to be about 2 days before egg retrieval I think. I think I was supposed to be restricted from sex for 8 weeks after my BFP. It's different for every RE.

I remember the u/s's being very frequent. Every few days at first and then more frequent, maybe even daily toward the end.

As Nicole stated as well, don't use your port for these injections! they are not IV injections. They are either sub-q or IM. It depends on the protocol. Most stims are sub-q, but I have heard of some people getting lucky with IM stims as well. Yuck! I had DH do all my shots. I couldn't stick myself. I couldn't even watch. And then luck would have it I became diabetic and had to give myself insulin everytime I ate. Oh well. Luck of the draw I guess.

Keep the questions coming! And good luck! Where are you from? I live near Sacramento, CA.

Tara

tara

Hi Kelly,

Tara

maxjor

can any one tell me the steps on the ivf g my husband and i want to have a 3 rd kid and we have one that has cf so i am looking for any info......

mom of 2 one7 with cf 0ne 5 wo\cf

maxjor

can any one tell me the steps on the ivf g my husband and i want to have a 3 rd kid and we have one that has cf so i am looking for any info......

maxjor

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>maxjor</b></i>

mom of 2 one7 with cf 0ne 5 wo\cf</end quote></div>

Might I suggest taking a look at Julie's website. They were successful and she has always been an advocate of sharing her knowledge & experiences thru the steps......

Here is a link:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/">http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/</a>

JazzysMom

Might I suggest taking a look at Julie's website. They were successful and she has always been an advocate of sharing her knowledge & experiences thru the steps......

Here is a link:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/">http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/</a>

JazzysMom

Here is a link:

julie

Tara, just have to jump in here and clairify the SSDI thing,

your children don't always get 50% of your SSDI. They get a % of your SSDI, up to the "maximim allowable" for your family. This maximum allowable is determined by how much you pay into the system, and your SSDI benefit is based off of it.

For example, Mark gets $821, then each baby gets $105. If we had only one child, then that one child would get $315. So it's actually based on the maximum allowable for the family.

Yes, i did have OHSS. It was miserable, I'd take the triplet pregnancy over it anyday! I couldn't breathe well, I was in so much pain, although it only lasted about 5 days. Two trips to the ER and my stomach was drained twice. I have some pictures on my website, <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/Mark_and_Julies_IVFBegins.html">http://www.cysticfibrosismalei..._Julies_IVFBegins.html</a> scroll about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down, I actually look a few months pregnant. It happened in about 12-24 hours, which is what makes it so uncomfortable.

julie

your children don't always get 50% of your SSDI. They get a % of your SSDI, up to the "maximim allowable" for your family. This maximum allowable is determined by how much you pay into the system, and your SSDI benefit is based off of it.

For example, Mark gets $821, then each baby gets $105. If we had only one child, then that one child would get $315. So it's actually based on the maximum allowable for the family.

Yes, i did have OHSS. It was miserable, I'd take the triplet pregnancy over it anyday! I couldn't breathe well, I was in so much pain, although it only lasted about 5 days. Two trips to the ER and my stomach was drained twice. I have some pictures on my website, <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/Mark_and_Julies_IVFBegins.html">http://www.cysticfibrosismalei..._Julies_IVFBegins.html</a> scroll about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down, I actually look a few months pregnant. It happened in about 12-24 hours, which is what makes it so uncomfortable.

julie