Anyone ever have a late CF diagnosis (10 year old) who never showed symptoms?

holmfamily1992

I know exactly what your sister is going through. My son who will be ten in July was just DX a week ago. It also came to as a real shock to us and we have 7 other children who are in the process of being tested now. He was DX with Asthma about 6 months ago and the ball just continued to roll from there.

For the kids sake, Make sure that they are being treated by a CF certified care center. They will start treatment on all who tested postive. It may seem kinda silly because they are not showing any symptoms but he will explain all that to your sister.

Good luck, Tina

holmfamily1992

I know exactly what your sister is going through. My son who will be ten in July was just DX a week ago. It also came to as a real shock to us and we have 7 other children who are in the process of being tested now. He was DX with Asthma about 6 months ago and the ball just continued to roll from there.

For the kids sake, Make sure that they are being treated by a CF certified care center. They will start treatment on all who tested postive. It may seem kinda silly because they are not showing any symptoms but he will explain all that to your sister.

Good luck, Tina

holmfamily1992

Good luck, Tina

holmfamily1992

Good luck, Tina

holmfamily1992

<br />
<br />For the kids sake, Make sure that they are being treated by a CF certified care center. They will start treatment on all who tested postive. It may seem kinda silly because they are not showing any symptoms but he will explain all that to your sister.
<br />
<br />Good luck, Tina

Alyssa

As others have already informed you, yes it is possible. If you care to, please read my blog for info on my kids -- our daughter didn't show symptoms until age 5, was misdiagnosed until age 14, then her brother was tested (no symptoms at all at age 18 and diagnosed) He developed symptoms at age 21....I agree too with Debbi... don't feel like you are waiting for the other shoe to drop... but rather go through life being aware of the possibility of symptoms developing... knowing that our son had both genes, allowed us to <b>recognize and quickly treat </b>symptoms when they did appear.

Alyssa

As others have already informed you, yes it is possible. If you care to, please read my blog for info on my kids -- our daughter didn't show symptoms until age 5, was misdiagnosed until age 14, then her brother was tested (no symptoms at all at age 18 and diagnosed) He developed symptoms at age 21....I agree too with Debbi... don't feel like you are waiting for the other shoe to drop... but rather go through life being aware of the possibility of symptoms developing... knowing that our son had both genes, allowed us to <b>recognize and quickly treat </b>symptoms when they did appear.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

rvm1212

HI!.

My boyfriend was diagnosed last year at 35. He started showing symptons in his late twenties(bronchities in winter that would last too long). He was diagnosed with bronchiectasies at 33 and two years later with cf. His symptons are very mild. He has three bronchitis per year that are treated with oral antibiotics. The rest of the year he is fine with no cough at all.
Even when he does not have many symptons he does chest therapy and exercise every day!. I think preventive treatment is very important.

rvm1212

HI!.

My boyfriend was diagnosed last year at 35. He started showing symptons in his late twenties(bronchities in winter that would last too long). He was diagnosed with bronchiectasies at 33 and two years later with cf. His symptons are very mild. He has three bronchitis per year that are treated with oral antibiotics. The rest of the year he is fine with no cough at all.
Even when he does not have many symptons he does chest therapy and exercise every day!. I think preventive treatment is very important.

rvm1212

HI!.

rvm1212

HI!.

rvm1212

HI!.
<br />
<br />My boyfriend was diagnosed last year at 35. He started showing symptons in his late twenties(bronchities in winter that would last too long). He was diagnosed with bronchiectasies at 33 and two years later with cf. His symptons are very mild. He has three bronchitis per year that are treated with oral antibiotics. The rest of the year he is fine with no cough at all.
<br />Even when he does not have many symptons he does chest therapy and exercise every day!. I think preventive treatment is very important.

grsswspr

My daughter was dx at 7 yrs old as well. She has always been healthier than the rest of the family. The only symptom she had was nose polyps. She takes enzymes and does vest treatments once a day. She also uses a steroid nose spray that has greatly reduce the size of her polyps.

Here is an interesting study from a few years ago.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/171/6/621">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...content/full/171/6/621</a>

grsswspr

My daughter was dx at 7 yrs old as well. She has always been healthier than the rest of the family. The only symptom she had was nose polyps. She takes enzymes and does vest treatments once a day. She also uses a steroid nose spray that has greatly reduce the size of her polyps.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/171/6/621">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...content/full/171/6/621</a>

grsswspr

grsswspr

grsswspr

<br />
<br />Here is an interesting study from a few years ago.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/171/6/621">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...content/full/171/6/621</a>