Anyone have details on sharktank.org?

mesler

I've signed up for the group and am awaiting authorization, as I'm curious to see what types of things they have been discussing on their mailing list since 1998.

Apparently some of the folks there have been publishing papers on some new ways of treating CF which look almost too good to be true. Today, on their site's blog, was a post from one of the people who have been published (Childers), stating that something called BITC (benzyl isothiocyanat) taken transdermaly seems to be working long term (as opposed to the ingested version which worked for a time then stopped.) BITC is apparently something that is considered a supplement.

Seems almost too good to be true, but there are lots of signs that it is not. For example, published journal articles, an Internet presence for the group since 1998.

I'm very skeptical and cautious about many things. However, for this, I'm pretty hopeful. Anyone have any details?

mesler

I've signed up for the group and am awaiting authorization, as I'm curious to see what types of things they have been discussing on their mailing list since 1998.

Apparently some of the folks there have been publishing papers on some new ways of treating CF which look almost too good to be true. Today, on their site's blog, was a post from one of the people who have been published (Childers), stating that something called BITC (benzyl isothiocyanat) taken transdermaly seems to be working long term (as opposed to the ingested version which worked for a time then stopped.) BITC is apparently something that is considered a supplement.

Seems almost too good to be true, but there are lots of signs that it is not. For example, published journal articles, an Internet presence for the group since 1998.

I'm very skeptical and cautious about many things. However, for this, I'm pretty hopeful. Anyone have any details?

mesler

mesler

mesler

<br />
<br />Apparently some of the folks there have been publishing papers on some new ways of treating CF which look almost too good to be true. Today, on their site's blog, was a post from one of the people who have been published (Childers), stating that something called BITC (benzyl isothiocyanat) taken transdermaly seems to be working long term (as opposed to the ingested version which worked for a time then stopped.) BITC is apparently something that is considered a supplement.
<br />
<br />Seems almost too good to be true, but there are lots of signs that it is not. For example, published journal articles, an Internet presence for the group since 1998.
<br />
<br />I'm very skeptical and cautious about many things. However, for this, I'm pretty hopeful. Anyone have any details?

mesler

Wow, noone has any comments on this?

I've been looking at the latest paper that the group published, to see who has been citing it (it has 10 citations) and I found one paper by a CF doctor from Children's Hospital named Abdulhamid:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.childrensdmc.org/?id=1540&sid=1
">http://www.childrensdmc.org/?id=1540&sid=1
</a>
His paper, titled "Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Respiratory Tract Infections in Children With Cystic Fibrosis", published in the 2008 journal "Pediatric Pulmonology" references the Childer's paper in a positive way. There are 4 co-authors on his submission, all of which are PhDs or MDs. Presumably they wouldn't have referenced the Childer's paper if it was bogus. I should look at all the citations to make sure noone is debunking it, but the first find seems pretty solid.

So far, haven't seen anything really damning. Still interested in any information anyone has.

mesler

I've been looking at the latest paper that the group published, to see who has been citing it (it has 10 citations) and I found one paper by a CF doctor from Children's Hospital named Abdulhamid:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.childrensdmc.org/?id=1540&sid=1
</a>
His paper, titled "Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Respiratory Tract Infections in Children With Cystic Fibrosis", published in the 2008 journal "Pediatric Pulmonology" references the Childer's paper in a positive way. There are 4 co-authors on his submission, all of which are PhDs or MDs. Presumably they wouldn't have referenced the Childer's paper if it was bogus. I should look at all the citations to make sure noone is debunking it, but the first find seems pretty solid.

So far, haven't seen anything really damning. Still interested in any information anyone has.

mesler

</a>

mesler

</a>

mesler

<br />
<br />I've been looking at the latest paper that the group published, to see who has been citing it (it has 10 citations) and I found one paper by a CF doctor from Children's Hospital named Abdulhamid:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.childrensdmc.org/?id=1540&sid=1
</a><br />
<br />His paper, titled "Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Respiratory Tract Infections in Children With Cystic Fibrosis", published in the 2008 journal "Pediatric Pulmonology" references the Childer's paper in a positive way. There are 4 co-authors on his submission, all of which are PhDs or MDs. Presumably they wouldn't have referenced the Childer's paper if it was bogus. I should look at all the citations to make sure noone is debunking it, but the first find seems pretty solid.
<br />
<br />So far, haven't seen anything really damning. Still interested in any information anyone has.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen it mentioned in the past in the families section. You can do a search on here for past topics...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen it mentioned in the past in the families section. You can do a search on here for past topics...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

mesler

I've used the search. I didn't see anything that I would call a detailed 3rd party description of the organization. Some people here have mentioned they know people who are members, was hoping someone like that could elaborate or at least vouch for them.

mesler

I've used the search. I didn't see anything that I would call a detailed 3rd party description of the organization. Some people here have mentioned they know people who are members, was hoping someone like that could elaborate or at least vouch for them.

mesler

mesler

mesler