anyone know what happened

douglaslang85

This might be stupid but do you know how you got Mycobacteriums ( I know its infection in the lungs, but I didnt know if you knew what age or how long before you went to the hospital) Or did it just show up in your culture one day...thanks

douglaslang85

This might be stupid but do you know how you got Mycobacteriums ( I know its infection in the lungs, but I didnt know if you knew what age or how long before you went to the hospital) Or did it just show up in your culture one day...thanks

douglaslang85

douglaslang85

mom2lillian

Doug,

Cf'ers have the ufnorutnate ability to 'host' bacteria in our lungs very well. We have alot more mucous than most and so the bacteria can get in there and 'live' thus doing alot of damage in the process.

Bacteria are in teh environment everywhere, many of the ones that are harmful to those of us with CF are found in soil, water, etc There is very rarely a way to definately know where they came from.

Different poeple culture different bacteria and even the smae bacteria can affect different poeple in very different ways.

mom2lillian

Doug,

Cf'ers have the ufnorutnate ability to 'host' bacteria in our lungs very well. We have alot more mucous than most and so the bacteria can get in there and 'live' thus doing alot of damage in the process.

Bacteria are in teh environment everywhere, many of the ones that are harmful to those of us with CF are found in soil, water, etc There is very rarely a way to definately know where they came from.

Different poeple culture different bacteria and even the smae bacteria can affect different poeple in very different ways.

mom2lillian

Doug,

mom2lillian

Doug,

mom2lillian

Doug,

mom2lillian

Doug,

kswitch

these infections cause scar tissue to form in the air passages. to my understnading, it is this scarring that causes the permanent loss of lung function.

it would make sense that one reason cf'ers differ so much is due to different areas of the lungs that happen to suffer the most scarring.

for example, more lung function may be lost if scarring occurs in major airways rather than the "corners" of the lungs.

and, like was mentioned already, most cf pathogens are common to the environment. you can do things to minimize exposure, but you can't eliminate it in any practical way.

certainly air filters help, as does avoiding places and activities where there are unusually high levels of cf hungry pathogens. this require research on indiviudal bugs, but it's worth it.

one strategy that i have developed is that, if i engage in a high risk activity, i squeeze a cpt session in immediatley after, or as soon as possible, along with my regularly scheduled cpt.

kswitch

these infections cause scar tissue to form in the air passages. to my understnading, it is this scarring that causes the permanent loss of lung function.

it would make sense that one reason cf'ers differ so much is due to different areas of the lungs that happen to suffer the most scarring.

for example, more lung function may be lost if scarring occurs in major airways rather than the "corners" of the lungs.

and, like was mentioned already, most cf pathogens are common to the environment. you can do things to minimize exposure, but you can't eliminate it in any practical way.

certainly air filters help, as does avoiding places and activities where there are unusually high levels of cf hungry pathogens. this require research on indiviudal bugs, but it's worth it.

one strategy that i have developed is that, if i engage in a high risk activity, i squeeze a cpt session in immediatley after, or as soon as possible, along with my regularly scheduled cpt.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

Futant3

I would say that the biggest drop in my PFT's was caused by two major issues. I had a job at a craft store that put me in contact with a lot of allergens. Dust, glitter, paints, wood, etc. During this job I averaged 1 hospital stay a year, I know that's not many but it was a dramatic increase for me. In comparison I haven't been in the hospital for the last 3 years since I moved to an office environment.

The second is that I had not been nearly as compliant with treatment as I should have been during my late teens. Non-compliance adds up and I think the job finally pushed me over the edge.

Futant3

I would say that the biggest drop in my PFT's was caused by two major issues. I had a job at a craft store that put me in contact with a lot of allergens. Dust, glitter, paints, wood, etc. During this job I averaged 1 hospital stay a year, I know that's not many but it was a dramatic increase for me. In comparison I haven't been in the hospital for the last 3 years since I moved to an office environment.

The second is that I had not been nearly as compliant with treatment as I should have been during my late teens. Non-compliance adds up and I think the job finally pushed me over the edge.

Futant3

Futant3