anyone working while on Medicaid?

dukeblue1206

I read in the new CF Roundtable in an article by Beth Sufian, that you can work while on SSI/Medicaid and not lose your Medicaid. She says that if you work and do not make over your states threshold amount that would cause you to loose your medicaid then it is ok. You will lose your SSI but in my state the threshold amount is a little over $33,000 a year. Does anyone know if that is before taxes? I would guess it is but if anyone else does this and has any info on it I would appreciate it. I would really like to work some but scared to death about losing the medicaid. I cant afford that at this time. I guess I will be making a call on monday to try to get more info about this from my local office. I went to the ssa.org site and as long as you meet the 5 criteria they have then it looks like i can go to work. I know I should have no problems meeting the criteria they have under section 1619 (b). I have never worked outside of my families small business part-time and would like the freedom of being able to do my own thing. Thanks for any info you guys may have!
Take Care
Stephen

dukeblue1206

I read in the new CF Roundtable in an article by Beth Sufian, that you can work while on SSI/Medicaid and not lose your Medicaid. She says that if you work and do not make over your states threshold amount that would cause you to loose your medicaid then it is ok. You will lose your SSI but in my state the threshold amount is a little over $33,000 a year. Does anyone know if that is before taxes? I would guess it is but if anyone else does this and has any info on it I would appreciate it. I would really like to work some but scared to death about losing the medicaid. I cant afford that at this time. I guess I will be making a call on monday to try to get more info about this from my local office. I went to the ssa.org site and as long as you meet the 5 criteria they have then it looks like i can go to work. I know I should have no problems meeting the criteria they have under section 1619 (b). I have never worked outside of my families small business part-time and would like the freedom of being able to do my own thing. Thanks for any info you guys may have!
Take Care
Stephen

dukeblue1206

Take Care
Stephen

dukeblue1206

Take Care
Stephen

dukeblue1206

<br />Take Care
<br />Stephen

JazzysMom

$33,000/year sounds like an awful lot to me. I dont know of being able to work (presuming you are not collecting assistance in addition to medicaid), but you can work when on SSDI up to a certain monthly dollar amount.

Be very very careful. YOu dont want to screw yourself. If in doubt contact Beth Sufian directly. She has a few hotline for quesitons.

JazzysMom

$33,000/year sounds like an awful lot to me. I dont know of being able to work (presuming you are not collecting assistance in addition to medicaid), but you can work when on SSDI up to a certain monthly dollar amount.

Be very very careful. YOu dont want to screw yourself. If in doubt contact Beth Sufian directly. She has a few hotline for quesitons.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Be very very careful. YOu dont want to screw yourself. If in doubt contact Beth Sufian directly. She has a few hotline for quesitons.

Transplantmommy

I know that before I got married, I was working and I got SSI and Medicaid. I just had to report my income to the people at SSA and they would adjust my SSI accordingly. I only lost the SSI when they said that I had enough education (I was in college at the time), work training (yes, I was working) and that my CF had stabilized (now that's the part that I don't get). I just decided not to fight it because I was getting married soon and I knew that I would lose it at that point anyway. There was no sense in me fighting it, it would have been a waste of my time.

As for the Medicaid, I lost that when Nate and I got married because he had a good job and I could then go on his insurance at work.

As Melissa said....just be careful with what you do. You really do not want to screw yourself over.

Transplantmommy

I know that before I got married, I was working and I got SSI and Medicaid. I just had to report my income to the people at SSA and they would adjust my SSI accordingly. I only lost the SSI when they said that I had enough education (I was in college at the time), work training (yes, I was working) and that my CF had stabilized (now that's the part that I don't get). I just decided not to fight it because I was getting married soon and I knew that I would lose it at that point anyway. There was no sense in me fighting it, it would have been a waste of my time.

As for the Medicaid, I lost that when Nate and I got married because he had a good job and I could then go on his insurance at work.

As Melissa said....just be careful with what you do. You really do not want to screw yourself over.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />As for the Medicaid, I lost that when Nate and I got married because he had a good job and I could then go on his insurance at work.
<br />
<br />As Melissa said....just be careful with what you do. You really do not want to screw yourself over.

dukeblue1206

I agree that 33,000 sounds like a lot to still get medicaid. Like i said i think i will be calling monday to see what i can find out. Here is the link to the bylaw that Beth was talking about. Maybe i am reading something wrong. who knows.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm">http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm</a>

dukeblue1206

I agree that 33,000 sounds like a lot to still get medicaid. Like i said i think i will be calling monday to see what i can find out. Here is the link to the bylaw that Beth was talking about. Maybe i am reading something wrong. who knows.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm">http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm</a>

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm">http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm</a>