Anything I need to know about going into the hospital?

Kristen

I've only been in the hospital twice - the first time was 21 years ago, and the second time was 6 years ago and I wasn't even under the care of a CF doctor, so I'm pretty club med ignorant. Last night I had to go into Labor and Delivery because of contractions (everything is fine for now, knock on wood), and I was surprised to learn that they didn't even have a hook-up for a nebulizer in the room! Luckily, I had mine in my car and MH went and got it for me so I could do my meds while I was there.

This got me thinking, is there anything I should be prepared for, from a CF-standpoint, when I go into the hospital to deliver my baby? I know now to bring my meds, nebulizer cups, and pump. The other day I read a thread about CFers not being able to shower at hospitals due to risk of infection - so do I need to prepare for that as well? Anything else I need to know?

I'm gonna ask my CF doctor about all this, and he is going to come see me after I deliver, but I figured you all would have some good advice as well!

Kristen

I've only been in the hospital twice - the first time was 21 years ago, and the second time was 6 years ago and I wasn't even under the care of a CF doctor, so I'm pretty club med ignorant. Last night I had to go into Labor and Delivery because of contractions (everything is fine for now, knock on wood), and I was surprised to learn that they didn't even have a hook-up for a nebulizer in the room! Luckily, I had mine in my car and MH went and got it for me so I could do my meds while I was there.

This got me thinking, is there anything I should be prepared for, from a CF-standpoint, when I go into the hospital to deliver my baby? I know now to bring my meds, nebulizer cups, and pump. The other day I read a thread about CFers not being able to shower at hospitals due to risk of infection - so do I need to prepare for that as well? Anything else I need to know?

I'm gonna ask my CF doctor about all this, and he is going to come see me after I deliver, but I figured you all would have some good advice as well!

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

<br />
<br />This got me thinking, is there anything I should be prepared for, from a CF-standpoint, when I go into the hospital to deliver my baby? I know now to bring my meds, nebulizer cups, and pump. The other day I read a thread about CFers not being able to shower at hospitals due to risk of infection - so do I need to prepare for that as well? Anything else I need to know?
<br />
<br />I'm gonna ask my CF doctor about all this, and he is going to come see me after I deliver, but I figured you all would have some good advice as well!

KarenEliz

Shortly after going to the hospital even before I delivered, I called my CF doc. He came over to visit me and set me up with the resperatory therapist (who was in charge of all my nebulized meds) and a nurse to do chest PT twice a day. My OB also knew meds I was on. I didn't have to bring anything with me. I'm surprised that they did not have a nebulizer hook up in the room. I though that was something standard in all hospital rooms. Behind the bed, next to the oxygen there is usually a regular air flow which the nebulizer tubing is hooked up to.

I was able to shower, my doc didn't seem concerned about that. I always watched to make sure whoever came in the room used the hand sanitizer or washed their hands. I also requested a new nebulizer cup after each use just because I didn't like the fact that I could not clean them like I usually do at home.

Bring comfy pajamas and slippers! Must go, my boys have woken from their nap. Wishing you a smooth delivery!

KarenEliz

Shortly after going to the hospital even before I delivered, I called my CF doc. He came over to visit me and set me up with the resperatory therapist (who was in charge of all my nebulized meds) and a nurse to do chest PT twice a day. My OB also knew meds I was on. I didn't have to bring anything with me. I'm surprised that they did not have a nebulizer hook up in the room. I though that was something standard in all hospital rooms. Behind the bed, next to the oxygen there is usually a regular air flow which the nebulizer tubing is hooked up to.

I was able to shower, my doc didn't seem concerned about that. I always watched to make sure whoever came in the room used the hand sanitizer or washed their hands. I also requested a new nebulizer cup after each use just because I didn't like the fact that I could not clean them like I usually do at home.

Bring comfy pajamas and slippers! Must go, my boys have woken from their nap. Wishing you a smooth delivery!

KarenEliz

KarenEliz

KarenEliz

<br />
<br />I was able to shower, my doc didn't seem concerned about that. I always watched to make sure whoever came in the room used the hand sanitizer or washed their hands. I also requested a new nebulizer cup after each use just because I didn't like the fact that I could not clean them like I usually do at home.
<br />
<br />Bring comfy pajamas and slippers! Must go, my boys have woken from their nap. Wishing you a smooth delivery!

crystalina0814

Same as above poster!

Except I did bring all of my non-standar CF meds....Pulmo, enzymes, etc. That way, I know I did not have to wait for the hospital pharmacy to hunt them down! I also brought my own high-calorie snacks. My OB gave me permission to eat up until delivery so I could have the energy to push...most do not, but I would ask because of "our" circumstances. I also brought some high-calorie ensures to make sure I had enough calorie intake...labor is hard work! It is also good to notify your OB of your "eating" wishes in advance so that the nurses on the floor are aware of your needs.

I also started an antibiotic immediately after delivery for a "tune-up" to make sure my lungs stayed in tip-top shape for the very exhausting upsoming days after delivery...something to consider. It seemed to help keep me healthier quite a bit!

Good luck!

Christina

crystalina0814

Same as above poster!

Except I did bring all of my non-standar CF meds....Pulmo, enzymes, etc. That way, I know I did not have to wait for the hospital pharmacy to hunt them down! I also brought my own high-calorie snacks. My OB gave me permission to eat up until delivery so I could have the energy to push...most do not, but I would ask because of "our" circumstances. I also brought some high-calorie ensures to make sure I had enough calorie intake...labor is hard work! It is also good to notify your OB of your "eating" wishes in advance so that the nurses on the floor are aware of your needs.

I also started an antibiotic immediately after delivery for a "tune-up" to make sure my lungs stayed in tip-top shape for the very exhausting upsoming days after delivery...something to consider. It seemed to help keep me healthier quite a bit!

Good luck!

Christina

crystalina0814

Same as above poster!

Good luck!

Christina

crystalina0814

Same as above poster!

Good luck!

Christina

crystalina0814

Same as above poster!
<br />
<br />Except I did bring all of my non-standar CF meds....Pulmo, enzymes, etc. That way, I know I did not have to wait for the hospital pharmacy to hunt them down! I also brought my own high-calorie snacks. My OB gave me permission to eat up until delivery so I could have the energy to push...most do not, but I would ask because of "our" circumstances. I also brought some high-calorie ensures to make sure I had enough calorie intake...labor is hard work! It is also good to notify your OB of your "eating" wishes in advance so that the nurses on the floor are aware of your needs.
<br />
<br />I also started an antibiotic immediately after delivery for a "tune-up" to make sure my lungs stayed in tip-top shape for the very exhausting upsoming days after delivery...something to consider. It seemed to help keep me healthier quite a bit!
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />Christina