are broncoscopies common?

cfbigbrother

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has had 3 bronchoscopies. They are not a big deal at all. She has done really well with all of them She is actually scheduled for another one in a few weeks because her cough has gotten much worse and she is not keeping her sats up at night, so they want to relook an make sure everything is ok

cfbigbrother

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has had 3 bronchoscopies. They are not a big deal at all. She has done really well with all of them She is actually scheduled for another one in a few weeks because her cough has gotten much worse and she is not keeping her sats up at night, so they want to relook an make sure everything is ok

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother

Nightwriter

My doctor does not do them, unless it is absolutely necessary. This is a good source of picking up bacterias like Pseudomonas and other bacterias, plus other risks associated with the procedure. And for some doctors (not saying yours), it a huge source of income.

My doctor first tries to find other sources of a continual cough first. She looks at many signs to determine if there seems to be signs of inflammation. Blood tests, skin testing for older children and adults. Other signs include sore throats, red and swollen eardrums and nasal passages. Frequently when these are irritated, the lungs may be also.

My doctor educates her patients to remove all allergy triggers such as products with fragrances, harsh, chemicals, advises the removal of carpets and pets must be kept out of the bedroom, eat foods without chemicals, preservatives, dyes, etc. She asks about anything new in living arrangements and prescribes an air filter and hepa or similar vacuum. She asks about lifestyle, and any other possible environmental exposures.

The first thing her patients have to do is replace cleaning products with baking soda and vinegar. Change all soaps, shampoos, and personal products to non-fragrance for all family members, not only the child. My doctor has her patients on all appropriate asthma medicines, prescribes nasal rinses (you'd have to ask how other parents do this with such young kids/plus ask your doctors) plus appropriate supplements like fish oil and probiotics for example.

So often, allergies, irritants, and chemical sensitivities can cause inflammation in the nasal passages which causes a post nasal drip (which can sometimes also be seen by a doctor) although a lot of this occurs at night when lying down with less swallowing.

I am not saying whether you should do this or not do this. But if it doesn't sit right with you, I would get a second opinion. If your child DOES have a bronchoscopy and it shows nothing, you will be back here anyway. That is: how do you get rid of a cough when antibiotics aren't working? And I would also ask, "What percentage of bronchoscopes yield result in a positive culture?"

Nightwriter

My doctor does not do them, unless it is absolutely necessary. This is a good source of picking up bacterias like Pseudomonas and other bacterias, plus other risks associated with the procedure. And for some doctors (not saying yours), it a huge source of income.

My doctor first tries to find other sources of a continual cough first. She looks at many signs to determine if there seems to be signs of inflammation. Blood tests, skin testing for older children and adults. Other signs include sore throats, red and swollen eardrums and nasal passages. Frequently when these are irritated, the lungs may be also.

My doctor educates her patients to remove all allergy triggers such as products with fragrances, harsh, chemicals, advises the removal of carpets and pets must be kept out of the bedroom, eat foods without chemicals, preservatives, dyes, etc. She asks about anything new in living arrangements and prescribes an air filter and hepa or similar vacuum. She asks about lifestyle, and any other possible environmental exposures.

The first thing her patients have to do is replace cleaning products with baking soda and vinegar. Change all soaps, shampoos, and personal products to non-fragrance for all family members, not only the child. My doctor has her patients on all appropriate asthma medicines, prescribes nasal rinses (you'd have to ask how other parents do this with such young kids/plus ask your doctors) plus appropriate supplements like fish oil and probiotics for example.

So often, allergies, irritants, and chemical sensitivities can cause inflammation in the nasal passages which causes a post nasal drip (which can sometimes also be seen by a doctor) although a lot of this occurs at night when lying down with less swallowing.

I am not saying whether you should do this or not do this. But if it doesn't sit right with you, I would get a second opinion. If your child DOES have a bronchoscopy and it shows nothing, you will be back here anyway. That is: how do you get rid of a cough when antibiotics aren't working? And I would also ask, "What percentage of bronchoscopes yield result in a positive culture?"

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />My doctor first tries to find other sources of a continual cough first. She looks at many signs to determine if there seems to be signs of inflammation. Blood tests, skin testing for older children and adults. Other signs include sore throats, red and swollen eardrums and nasal passages. Frequently when these are irritated, the lungs may be also.
<br />
<br />My doctor educates her patients to remove all allergy triggers such as products with fragrances, harsh, chemicals, advises the removal of carpets and pets must be kept out of the bedroom, eat foods without chemicals, preservatives, dyes, etc. She asks about anything new in living arrangements and prescribes an air filter and hepa or similar vacuum. She asks about lifestyle, and any other possible environmental exposures.
<br />
<br />The first thing her patients have to do is replace cleaning products with baking soda and vinegar. Change all soaps, shampoos, and personal products to non-fragrance for all family members, not only the child. My doctor has her patients on all appropriate asthma medicines, prescribes nasal rinses (you'd have to ask how other parents do this with such young kids/plus ask your doctors) plus appropriate supplements like fish oil and probiotics for example.
<br />
<br />So often, allergies, irritants, and chemical sensitivities can cause inflammation in the nasal passages which causes a post nasal drip (which can sometimes also be seen by a doctor) although a lot of this occurs at night when lying down with less swallowing.
<br />
<br />I am not saying whether you should do this or not do this. But if it doesn't sit right with you, I would get a second opinion. If your child DOES have a bronchoscopy and it shows nothing, you will be back here anyway. That is: how do you get rid of a cough when antibiotics aren't working? And I would also ask, "What percentage of bronchoscopes yield result in a positive culture?"

JazzysMom

Unlike CFBigBrother I feel that a bronch IS a big deal. I have had only had one and many people outside of my clinic were surprised at at age 40 I only had one.

I told my doctor I would not do it again unless its regarding a tx. I despised every minute of it. She put me through it (reluctantly, but without any other ideas) to find out the cause of fluid build up that had to be drained & the cause of my upper lobe to deflate.

In the end.....no answers were really found. I am guessing that for a little one being knocked out completely makes a difference rather then being numb & loopy because being loopy wasnt enough to erase the anxiety that came with not being able to feel by breathing or swallowing.

I was in a constant state of panic where they had to keep reassuring me I was fine. Maybe things should/could have been different that would have made it easier for me, but it only takes one time for me to get a bitter taste in my mouth during my "senior" years.

Remember please.....I am talking from the perspective of how they might handle an adult patient versus a pediatric patient. That factor along can be huge.....

BUT either way it is invasive. Have they ruled out allergies or other inflammations etc for the lingering cough?????

Just a thought!

JazzysMom

Unlike CFBigBrother I feel that a bronch IS a big deal. I have had only had one and many people outside of my clinic were surprised at at age 40 I only had one.

I told my doctor I would not do it again unless its regarding a tx. I despised every minute of it. She put me through it (reluctantly, but without any other ideas) to find out the cause of fluid build up that had to be drained & the cause of my upper lobe to deflate.

In the end.....no answers were really found. I am guessing that for a little one being knocked out completely makes a difference rather then being numb & loopy because being loopy wasnt enough to erase the anxiety that came with not being able to feel by breathing or swallowing.

I was in a constant state of panic where they had to keep reassuring me I was fine. Maybe things should/could have been different that would have made it easier for me, but it only takes one time for me to get a bitter taste in my mouth during my "senior" years.

Remember please.....I am talking from the perspective of how they might handle an adult patient versus a pediatric patient. That factor along can be huge.....

BUT either way it is invasive. Have they ruled out allergies or other inflammations etc for the lingering cough?????

Just a thought!

JazzysMom

Just a thought!

JazzysMom

Just a thought!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I told my doctor I would not do it again unless its regarding a tx. I despised every minute of it. She put me through it (reluctantly, but without any other ideas) to find out the cause of fluid build up that had to be drained & the cause of my upper lobe to deflate.
<br />
<br />In the end.....no answers were really found. I am guessing that for a little one being knocked out completely makes a difference rather then being numb & loopy because being loopy wasnt enough to erase the anxiety that came with not being able to feel by breathing or swallowing.
<br />
<br />I was in a constant state of panic where they had to keep reassuring me I was fine. Maybe things should/could have been different that would have made it easier for me, but it only takes one time for me to get a bitter taste in my mouth during my "senior" years.
<br />
<br />Remember please.....I am talking from the perspective of how they might handle an adult patient versus a pediatric patient. That factor along can be huge.....
<br />
<br />BUT either way it is invasive. Have they ruled out allergies or other inflammations etc for the lingering cough?????
<br />
<br />Just a thought!

V

valigirl21

My son is 9, but about the size of a 5 year old. He has had a bronch only after several courses of antibiotics, two bouts with bronchitis, one with pneumonia, and a sputum that grew out MRSA. He still kept getting sick, so his pulm broke down and did the bronch. Grew out staph pneum. Possibly other stuff, but the path lab screwed up some of the specimens. It is always a big deal when kids have to be sedated, but Noah came out of his unscaithed and with some valuable information obtained. We not only discovered the staph, but that he was aspirating food into his lungs! To me it was worth it.

Keep us informed.

V

valigirl21

My son is 9, but about the size of a 5 year old. He has had a bronch only after several courses of antibiotics, two bouts with bronchitis, one with pneumonia, and a sputum that grew out MRSA. He still kept getting sick, so his pulm broke down and did the bronch. Grew out staph pneum. Possibly other stuff, but the path lab screwed up some of the specimens. It is always a big deal when kids have to be sedated, but Noah came out of his unscaithed and with some valuable information obtained. We not only discovered the staph, but that he was aspirating food into his lungs! To me it was worth it.

Keep us informed.

V

valigirl21

Keep us informed.

V

valigirl21

Keep us informed.

V

valigirl21

<br />
<br />Keep us informed.