Are there studies that show that the Vest is a superior form of ACT?

LouLou

If so how can Australia and Canada's health systems get away with not covering the Vest?
-----------------------------------------------------------
31 yr old female with cf (G551D and DF508) participating in Ph. 3 Vertex 770. Son with no symptoms and negative sweat test but positive for 2 mutations (G551D and S1235R).

LouLou

If so how can Australia and Canada's health systems get away with not covering the Vest?
31 yr old female with cf (G551D and DF508) participating in Ph. 3 Vertex 770. Son with no symptoms and negative sweat test but positive for 2 mutations (G551D and S1235R).

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

<br />-----------------------------------------------------------
<br />31 yr old female with cf (G551D and DF508) participating in Ph. 3 Vertex 770. Son with no symptoms and negative sweat test but positive for 2 mutations (G551D and S1235R).

hmw

I know that Canada is running a Phase II trial right now in multiple centers comparing the vest (using the inCourage system) to PEP therapy. I wonder if he knows anything about how this is going or if a good outcome will help people get coverage of the vest in Canada.

hmw

I know that Canada is running a Phase II trial right now in multiple centers comparing the vest (using the inCourage system) to PEP therapy. I wonder if he knows anything about how this is going or if a good outcome will help people get coverage of the vest in Canada.

hmw

hmw

hmw

LisaGreene

When I was in Ireland doing a talk in April, this was a really big issue. Since my kids use a vest system, they were very curious about it's effectiveness. And, there was heated debate among many about whether or not the vest was as effective as manual cpt (which is what they use there).

I'll be interested in hearing what others on this side of the big pond have to say about this. :)

LisaGreene

When I was in Ireland doing a talk in April, this was a really big issue. Since my kids use a vest system, they were very curious about it's effectiveness. And, there was heated debate among many about whether or not the vest was as effective as manual cpt (which is what they use there).

I'll be interested in hearing what others on this side of the big pond have to say about this. :)

LisaGreene

LisaGreene

LisaGreene

<br />
<br />I'll be interested in hearing what others on this side of the big pond have to say about this. :)

Littlemiss

This was just discussed in the Adults forum, saveferris (Amy) has the evidence to date on her blog. I think our health system does not cover it b/c unfortunately the research available is not large or long-term enough to be considered more than pilot studies.

The vest is an expensive piece of equipment and as there are other comparible methods available the funding is not a priority. The USA free market health care system is more likely to purchase the vest, I assume b/c of how the product is marketed to the Dr's, thus Dr's are more likely to support it's use and push it through insurance. Do insurance companies require a level of evidence for an intervention before they pay for it?

I do think the pilot research has complelling results and wish I could try a Vest. Once I have had my baby I am going to trial one and look at pushing the funding through our federal Program of Appliances for Disabled People. I have worked in health care and have some inside knowledge that might help pull the right strings. If I can get it through there will be a precedent for other CF'rs

If that doesn't work I'll explore other campaining options.

I will let you all know how I go!

AJ

Littlemiss

This was just discussed in the Adults forum, saveferris (Amy) has the evidence to date on her blog. I think our health system does not cover it b/c unfortunately the research available is not large or long-term enough to be considered more than pilot studies.

The vest is an expensive piece of equipment and as there are other comparible methods available the funding is not a priority. The USA free market health care system is more likely to purchase the vest, I assume b/c of how the product is marketed to the Dr's, thus Dr's are more likely to support it's use and push it through insurance. Do insurance companies require a level of evidence for an intervention before they pay for it?

I do think the pilot research has complelling results and wish I could try a Vest. Once I have had my baby I am going to trial one and look at pushing the funding through our federal Program of Appliances for Disabled People. I have worked in health care and have some inside knowledge that might help pull the right strings. If I can get it through there will be a precedent for other CF'rs

AJ

Littlemiss

AJ

Littlemiss

AJ

Littlemiss

<br />
<br />The vest is an expensive piece of equipment and as there are other comparible methods available the funding is not a priority. The USA free market health care system is more likely to purchase the vest, I assume b/c of how the product is marketed to the Dr's, thus Dr's are more likely to support it's use and push it through insurance. Do insurance companies require a level of evidence for an intervention before they pay for it?
<br />
<br />I do think the pilot research has complelling results and wish I could try a Vest. Once I have had my baby I am going to trial one and look at pushing the funding through our federal Program of Appliances for Disabled People. I have worked in health care and have some inside knowledge that might help pull the right strings. If I can get it through there will be a precedent for other CF'rs
<br />
<br />If that doesn't work I'll explore other campaining options.
<br />
<br />I will let you all know how I go!
<br />
<br />AJ