Are there studies that show that the Vest is a superior form of ACT?

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Brad</b></i>

Just an opinion from a Ole Cfer.

There is Nothing better than Real Manual Chest PT

IF it is done CORRECTLY by a good strong RT.

A Well Trained RT with the Drive to Perform Well can't be Beat! Pun Intended.

I have the Vest and the PEP .</end quote></div>

I could not agree more. My daughter had what turned out to be a bad RT. Kept saying she was fine and since she was not coughing I had no reason to question that. Then we did sputum culture, hospital RT said she was congested, ours kept saying she was fine. In the end it turned out she had infection with staph and some pseudo. Needless to say we switched RTs.

ymikhale

I could not agree more. My daughter had what turned out to be a bad RT. Kept saying she was fine and since she was not coughing I had no reason to question that. Then we did sputum culture, hospital RT said she was congested, ours kept saying she was fine. In the end it turned out she had infection with staph and some pseudo. Needless to say we switched RTs.

ymikhale

ymikhale

I have the Vest and the PEP .</end quote>

ymikhale

<br />
<br />Just an opinion from a Ole Cfer.
<br />
<br /> There is Nothing better than Real Manual Chest PT
<br />
<br /> IF it is done CORRECTLY by a good strong RT.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /> A Well Trained RT with the Drive to Perform Well can't be Beat! Pun Intended.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /> I have the Vest and the PEP .</end quote>
<br />
<br />I could not agree more. My daughter had what turned out to be a bad RT. Kept saying she was fine and since she was not coughing I had no reason to question that. Then we did sputum culture, hospital RT said she was congested, ours kept saying she was fine. In the end it turned out she had infection with staph and some pseudo. Needless to say we switched RTs.

LisaGreene

This is such an interesting conversation! And, my question is this: What is the value of having independence, a way of doing CPT on one's own without relying on others, and the convenience?

In my opinion, I think there are pros and cons for all systems but, whatever one chooses, consistency and adherence is the key. If a vest or a PEP or a RT makes a person more likely to comply for whatever reason, then I personally think there is alot of value in that even if there is no hugely compelling evidence for one being better than another. So, I am very grateful that there are many different systems available so that my kids have choices.

Just my opinion- I am not "vested" (ha ha) in any particular approach except: Take good care of yourselves, follow doctors orders and do what ya gotta do to stay healthy.

Hugs!
Lisa G

LisaGreene

This is such an interesting conversation! And, my question is this: What is the value of having independence, a way of doing CPT on one's own without relying on others, and the convenience?

In my opinion, I think there are pros and cons for all systems but, whatever one chooses, consistency and adherence is the key. If a vest or a PEP or a RT makes a person more likely to comply for whatever reason, then I personally think there is alot of value in that even if there is no hugely compelling evidence for one being better than another. So, I am very grateful that there are many different systems available so that my kids have choices.

Just my opinion- I am not "vested" (ha ha) in any particular approach except: Take good care of yourselves, follow doctors orders and do what ya gotta do to stay healthy.

Hugs!
Lisa G

LisaGreene

Hugs!
Lisa G

LisaGreene

Hugs!
Lisa G

LisaGreene

<br />
<br />In my opinion, I think there are pros and cons for all systems but, whatever one chooses, consistency and adherence is the key. If a vest or a PEP or a RT makes a person more likely to comply for whatever reason, then I personally think there is alot of value in that even if there is no hugely compelling evidence for one being better than another. So, I am very grateful that there are many different systems available so that my kids have choices.
<br />
<br />Just my opinion- I am not "vested" (ha ha) in any particular approach except: Take good care of yourselves, follow doctors orders and do what ya gotta do to stay healthy.
<br />
<br />Hugs!
<br />Lisa G

Sarasmamma

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Fran</b></i>

<b>In Australia we can go to clinic for free, hospitalisations are free, prescriptions are heavily subsidised, particularly for children, we don't have the issue of insurance refusing to cover a medication. </b> If a doctor prescribes it, we get it. This is without having any private health insurance AT ALL. If you are an Australian citizen, you are covered for all this.

So, without doing a lot of maths on it, I think we could be better off buying a vest for $15000, which I presume should last for some years, and getting all these other benefits for free, or in the case of prescriptions, subsidised.

I picked up six prescriptions for my son yesterday and paid $20.

I'm sure there are points for and against, but at the moment that's how I see it.

My son's doctor sees the vest as a "novelty". I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I do know that my son does not have one and has not been hospitalised with an exacerbation for four years. So, I'm not inclined to spend the $15000. That may change in the future, I'm keeping an open mind.</end quote></div>

I think we have similar health care in Norway? We also get all we need for free til age 12 and some cases 18 or life through, but not always is what doc. prescribes covered and needs to be applied for to get covered. Stuff like gym mats, ergo balls, and other help for physical therapy is free "lend out" for those who need it. (papers sais you are borrowing), but it's all brand new and yours as long as you need it.
With CF we have to apply for most meds and vitamins because it is less than 300 people with CF in Norway and the meds are unregistered.

Sarasmamma

<b>In Australia we can go to clinic for free, hospitalisations are free, prescriptions are heavily subsidised, particularly for children, we don't have the issue of insurance refusing to cover a medication. </b> If a doctor prescribes it, we get it. This is without having any private health insurance AT ALL. If you are an Australian citizen, you are covered for all this.

So, without doing a lot of maths on it, I think we could be better off buying a vest for $15000, which I presume should last for some years, and getting all these other benefits for free, or in the case of prescriptions, subsidised.

I picked up six prescriptions for my son yesterday and paid $20.

I'm sure there are points for and against, but at the moment that's how I see it.

My son's doctor sees the vest as a "novelty". I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I do know that my son does not have one and has not been hospitalised with an exacerbation for four years. So, I'm not inclined to spend the $15000. That may change in the future, I'm keeping an open mind.</end quote>

I think we have similar health care in Norway? We also get all we need for free til age 12 and some cases 18 or life through, but not always is what doc. prescribes covered and needs to be applied for to get covered. Stuff like gym mats, ergo balls, and other help for physical therapy is free "lend out" for those who need it. (papers sais you are borrowing), but it's all brand new and yours as long as you need it.
With CF we have to apply for most meds and vitamins because it is less than 300 people with CF in Norway and the meds are unregistered.

Sarasmamma

<br />
<br /><b>In Australia we can go to clinic for free, hospitalisations are free, prescriptions are heavily subsidised, particularly for children, we don't have the issue of insurance refusing to cover a medication. </b> If a doctor prescribes it, we get it. This is without having any private health insurance AT ALL. If you are an Australian citizen, you are covered for all this.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />So, without doing a lot of maths on it, I think we could be better off buying a vest for $15000, which I presume should last for some years, and getting all these other benefits for free, or in the case of prescriptions, subsidised.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I picked up six prescriptions for my son yesterday and paid $20.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I'm sure there are points for and against, but at the moment that's how I see it.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />My son's doctor sees the vest as a "novelty". I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I do know that my son does not have one and has not been hospitalised with an exacerbation for four years. So, I'm not inclined to spend the $15000. That may change in the future, I'm keeping an open mind.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I think we have similar health care in Norway? We also get all we need for free til age 12 and some cases 18 or life through, but not always is what doc. prescribes covered and needs to be applied for to get covered. Stuff like gym mats, ergo balls, and other help for physical therapy is free "lend out" for those who need it. (papers sais you are borrowing), but it's all brand new and yours as long as you need it.
<br />With CF we have to apply for most meds and vitamins because it is less than 300 people with CF in Norway and the meds are unregistered.

tjohnston

Unfortunately, you usually cannot take home that stong RT. And we wear out! The good thing about vest therapy is that you are able to get percussion in all lobes at the same time! And for a large amount of patients, it is more tolerable than old fashioned hand CPT.

tjohnston

Unfortunately, you usually cannot take home that stong RT. And we wear out! The good thing about vest therapy is that you are able to get percussion in all lobes at the same time! And for a large amount of patients, it is more tolerable than old fashioned hand CPT.

tjohnston

L

lizlas

<P>thats what i was wondering Brad...if manual CPT is better than vest!  the pep/ flutter acapella  dont work that well for me....I need the old fashioned way....CPT...but husband has bad elbows and it really hurts him after 10 mins.....</P>
<P>I also have the huge percussor....needless to say hard to do my back.....I would love to try a vest.</P>
<P>in Ontario we have ADP assistance devices program thru goverment ....they pay 75 % of compressors and percussors etc. and we or our work insurance pay the 25%. when I called ADP and asked if they heard of the vest for CF physio....oh she heard of it alright ...but NO COVERAGE......there are a few people at my clinic in toronto who have paid for vest themselves....but my dr. says they were disappointed ...mannual cpt was better .  and there didnt seem to be a decline in their  frequency of exasberations...but i didnt get to speak with them...</P>
<P>I know one ladies private work insurance paid for vest for her son...she threatened to put her story in newspaper...no dont want to do that...lol</P>
<P>few years ago when I called about vest . dont remeber which co. they offered it to me for 12,000 ....or rent it for 1,000 a month.....to try it....</P>
<P>how many vest companies are there?</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>