Asthma - questions about symptoms

ktsmom

Before her CF diagnosis, Katy was diagnosed with "seasonal asthma" by her pediatrician based on a cough that wouldn't go away. Her CF doc has not diagnosed her with asthma.

The past 5 days or so, she has been doing a rapid breathing off and on. I can't tell if there is something wrong with her or if she has discovered something "new" and is trying it out (you know how kids are). She does seem a little tired, but she has been playing outside like crazy with her sister and the neighbors. I took her pulse ox and it was 99 to 100. She does not have a cough, runny nose, or anything else.

I'm not sure what my specific question is, just mostly curious about how an asthma component of CF presents itself. Her next CF appointment is on May 27th. She will be doing her first spirometry at that time. She is already on nebbed Albuterol 2x a day prior to HS. Also, this rapid breathing stuff did coincide with just starting a TOBI cycle. Thanks for any thoughts/comments!

ktsmom

Before her CF diagnosis, Katy was diagnosed with "seasonal asthma" by her pediatrician based on a cough that wouldn't go away. Her CF doc has not diagnosed her with asthma.

The past 5 days or so, she has been doing a rapid breathing off and on. I can't tell if there is something wrong with her or if she has discovered something "new" and is trying it out (you know how kids are). She does seem a little tired, but she has been playing outside like crazy with her sister and the neighbors. I took her pulse ox and it was 99 to 100. She does not have a cough, runny nose, or anything else.

I'm not sure what my specific question is, just mostly curious about how an asthma component of CF presents itself. Her next CF appointment is on May 27th. She will be doing her first spirometry at that time. She is already on nebbed Albuterol 2x a day prior to HS. Also, this rapid breathing stuff did coincide with just starting a TOBI cycle. Thanks for any thoughts/comments!

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

<br />
<br />The past 5 days or so, she has been doing a rapid breathing off and on. I can't tell if there is something wrong with her or if she has discovered something "new" and is trying it out (you know how kids are). She does seem a little tired, but she has been playing outside like crazy with her sister and the neighbors. I took her pulse ox and it was 99 to 100. She does not have a cough, runny nose, or anything else.
<br />
<br />I'm not sure what my specific question is, just mostly curious about how an asthma component of CF presents itself. Her next CF appointment is on May 27th. She will be doing her first spirometry at that time. She is already on nebbed Albuterol 2x a day prior to HS. Also, this rapid breathing stuff did coincide with just starting a TOBI cycle. Thanks for any thoughts/comments!

pjspiegle

Asthma in CF is very similar to regualr asthma in that they usually have wheezing, hard time breathing with lots of exercise, etc.
I don't think that TOBI causes rapid breathing, albuterol sometime does though.
I would probably call the doc and let him know and let him decide. I don't think kids would purposely make themselves breath fast for no reason, maybe, but doubtfully. When she is breathing fast does she look like she is in distress? normal for her? red face? out of breath? happy? scared? The answers to those questions might also help you decide if she is really ok or a phone call needs to be made.

LOL,
Patty

pjspiegle

Asthma in CF is very similar to regualr asthma in that they usually have wheezing, hard time breathing with lots of exercise, etc.
I would probably call the doc and let him know and let him decide. I don't think kids would purposely make themselves breath fast for no reason, maybe, but doubtfully. When she is breathing fast does she look like she is in distress? normal for her? red face? out of breath? happy? scared? The answers to those questions might also help you decide if she is really ok or a phone call needs to be made.

LOL,
Patty

pjspiegle

LOL,
Patty

pjspiegle

LOL,
Patty

pjspiegle

<br />I don't think that TOBI causes rapid breathing, albuterol sometime does though.
<br />I would probably call the doc and let him know and let him decide. I don't think kids would purposely make themselves breath fast for no reason, maybe, but doubtfully. When she is breathing fast does she look like she is in distress? normal for her? red face? out of breath? happy? scared? The answers to those questions might also help you decide if she is really ok or a phone call needs to be made.
<br />
<br />LOL,
<br />Patty

ktsmom

Thanks Patty; I didn't make the connection that because she IS more active than usual, that could be why she is breathing more rapidly. Duh; sometimes I feel so dumb! I guess that is why we have other parents to bounce things off of, and help us see things!

ktsmom

Thanks Patty; I didn't make the connection that because she IS more active than usual, that could be why she is breathing more rapidly. Duh; sometimes I feel so dumb! I guess that is why we have other parents to bounce things off of, and help us see things!

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

JORDYSMOM

Dana, don't feel dumb. Asthma can be very sneaky, and can strike without warning. If your daughter has it, she may just feel a tightness in her chest, and not be able to understand it. Asthma causes wheezing and coughing after exercise. Also, if she only presents with these symptoms during the spring, it may be allergies. I'd have her tested for seasonal allergies. Allergies can cause a lot of trouble for people with CF or ashtma. They have been the cause of exacerbations for Jordan in the past.

One thing to look for in your daughter, is to see if right above her colar bone (right below the vocal chords) looks like it is being sucked in really deep when she breathes in. Also, the stomach sometimes pooches out really big when they breathe in. These are classic signs of an asthma attack. This is because a lot of the air is getting into the stomach instead of the lungs due to inflamation in the bronchial tubes.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Dana, don't feel dumb. Asthma can be very sneaky, and can strike without warning. If your daughter has it, she may just feel a tightness in her chest, and not be able to understand it. Asthma causes wheezing and coughing after exercise. Also, if she only presents with these symptoms during the spring, it may be allergies. I'd have her tested for seasonal allergies. Allergies can cause a lot of trouble for people with CF or ashtma. They have been the cause of exacerbations for Jordan in the past.

One thing to look for in your daughter, is to see if right above her colar bone (right below the vocal chords) looks like it is being sucked in really deep when she breathes in. Also, the stomach sometimes pooches out really big when they breathe in. These are classic signs of an asthma attack. This is because a lot of the air is getting into the stomach instead of the lungs due to inflamation in the bronchial tubes.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />One thing to look for in your daughter, is to see if right above her colar bone (right below the vocal chords) looks like it is being sucked in really deep when she breathes in. Also, the stomach sometimes pooches out really big when they breathe in. These are classic signs of an asthma attack. This is because a lot of the air is getting into the stomach instead of the lungs due to inflamation in the bronchial tubes.
<br />
<br />Stacey
<br />