Asythma and CF?

Mommy2Alysa

Last week my doctor found a "squeaky wheeze" in my two year old daugther's lung and we were rushed to the hospital for xrays thinking it was pneumonia. Turns out it was excess mucus and we were sent home and told to up her chest physio.

Then came her CF clinic appt yesterday and her respirologist (sorry cant spell) was very concerned with her oxygen level (94-95) and her breathing (way to fast) and now he suspects she has asythma on top of her CF. He is concerned because EVERY cold she gets (which is often) goes straight to her chest and stays there.

He has her on prednazone for 6 days with a follow up visit in a week to see if that clears her lungs and the icky bug she seems to have all the time. On top of that, she grew pseudomonous in January and we should be finding out if she still has that in a week also.

CF, Asythma, Pseudomonous.... what am I supposed to do?

Mommy2Alysa

Last week my doctor found a "squeaky wheeze" in my two year old daugther's lung and we were rushed to the hospital for xrays thinking it was pneumonia. Turns out it was excess mucus and we were sent home and told to up her chest physio.

Then came her CF clinic appt yesterday and her respirologist (sorry cant spell) was very concerned with her oxygen level (94-95) and her breathing (way to fast) and now he suspects she has asythma on top of her CF. He is concerned because EVERY cold she gets (which is often) goes straight to her chest and stays there.

He has her on prednazone for 6 days with a follow up visit in a week to see if that clears her lungs and the icky bug she seems to have all the time. On top of that, she grew pseudomonous in January and we should be finding out if she still has that in a week also.

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

JazzysMom

This is not uncommon with CFers. It might be something that she outgrows. It might be controlled with allergies etc. In the meantime you have to be extra attentive, aware and diligent. The problem with the asmtha component is that at times its difficult to tell which issues is acting up. I will say from experience that keeping the asthma under control as much as possible is essential. For me when my airways close up it leads to the CF problems because it becomes even more difficult to get the junk up. Dont panic (too late I am sure) and know that she isnt an unusual case. Did they change or add any nebs or inhalers? HUGS~~~

JazzysMom

This is not uncommon with CFers. It might be something that she outgrows. It might be controlled with allergies etc. In the meantime you have to be extra attentive, aware and diligent. The problem with the asmtha component is that at times its difficult to tell which issues is acting up. I will say from experience that keeping the asthma under control as much as possible is essential. For me when my airways close up it leads to the CF problems because it becomes even more difficult to get the junk up. Dont panic (too late I am sure) and know that she isnt an unusual case. Did they change or add any nebs or inhalers? HUGS~~~

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Mommy2Alysa

She was on Tobramycin and Salbutamal to see if her pseudomonous is gone but that treatment is done and because of this asythma possibility they took her off her neb all together ( just continuing chest physio) cause if the medicine she just started today works then tehy know it's asythma related whereas if she kept up her neb and stuff they wouldnt know which medicine cured it.

I hate to say it but its reassuring hearing that other CFers are prone to asythma too but it's so hard because she just turned two at the end of April and with the CF, possible asythma and waiting to see if her pseudomonous is there still its almost all too much for me.. plus add in the fact that I am 6.5 months preg with another little CFer. I feel like crying on a daily basis and I know its not my fault, but I feel like it is because I am their mother and should be able to make them better.

Mommy2Alysa

She was on Tobramycin and Salbutamal to see if her pseudomonous is gone but that treatment is done and because of this asythma possibility they took her off her neb all together ( just continuing chest physio) cause if the medicine she just started today works then tehy know it's asythma related whereas if she kept up her neb and stuff they wouldnt know which medicine cured it.

I hate to say it but its reassuring hearing that other CFers are prone to asythma too but it's so hard because she just turned two at the end of April and with the CF, possible asythma and waiting to see if her pseudomonous is there still its almost all too much for me.. plus add in the fact that I am 6.5 months preg with another little CFer. I feel like crying on a daily basis and I know its not my fault, but I feel like it is because I am their mother and should be able to make them better.

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

I hate to say it but its reassuring hearing that other CFers are prone to asythma too but it's so hard because she just turned two at the end of April and with the CF, possible asythma and waiting to see if her pseudomonous is there still its almost all too much for me.. plus add in the fact that I am 6.5 months preg with another little CFer. I feel like crying on a daily basis and I know its not my fault, but I feel like it is because I am their mother and should be able to make them better.</end quote></div>

I understand about the meds. Its always "risky" tho and with her still being young so much depends on your interpretation or just plain intuition. If you feel the need to cry, please do so. It is a definite stress reliever. I know its difficult as a Mom, but you are doing a great job. Just realize that CF doesnt care what kind of Mom you are. It has no regard to that or any other aspect except what its course is! Not a very nice illness to deal with. HUGS to you! BTW when is your actual due date? Did you deliver early with Alysa?

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

I hate to say it but its reassuring hearing that other CFers are prone to asythma too but it's so hard because she just turned two at the end of April and with the CF, possible asythma and waiting to see if her pseudomonous is there still its almost all too much for me.. plus add in the fact that I am 6.5 months preg with another little CFer. I feel like crying on a daily basis and I know its not my fault, but I feel like it is because I am their mother and should be able to make them better.</end quote></div>

I understand about the meds. Its always "risky" tho and with her still being young so much depends on your interpretation or just plain intuition. If you feel the need to cry, please do so. It is a definite stress reliever. I know its difficult as a Mom, but you are doing a great job. Just realize that CF doesnt care what kind of Mom you are. It has no regard to that or any other aspect except what its course is! Not a very nice illness to deal with. HUGS to you! BTW when is your actual due date? Did you deliver early with Alysa?