at the end of my rope

detroitislove

I've been battleing depression for five or six years now. I take prozac. I've yet to find a therapist who works for me (although I give up easily so I haven't tried that hard to find a good one). <br><br> I am on all the typical CF meds that take time and effort. I go in for IV's once or twice a year. I have no problem gaining weight, and my FEV1 is 93%. My doctors/parents/everyone thinks I should be able to have a "normal" life. They think I should be able to go to school, work, get married, have children, travel, etc... and they don't foresee me needing transplant unless something changes (like I catch a bug that brings my lungs crashing down) drastically. <br> <br>
All of this sounds great, but I can't actually put it into action. I do amazing things for a few months, and then I totally crash, and don't recover for a year or two. It's completely frusterating. Once I raised $9000.00 in 3 months! Once I volunteered in an orphanage in Tanzania for 3 months! I graduated top ten at my high school. I have a 3.8 GPA in the college courses I've taken. I've tried a lot of things, karate (I'm a purple belt), dance, soccer, cheerleading (I'm super flexible), yoga, guitar lessons, violin lessons, i was on colorgaurd when we won the state championship, etc... I read all the time, I write a lot. I aspire to be an author. I aspire to do a lot of things. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years, and now I'm a vegan. I'm a good cook (of both vegan and omnivore fare). I have a lot of strengths. I am good at resolving conflicts and difusing sitautions.
<br><br>But for all the great things I've done, and the good aspects of me, I still let it all come crashing down. And it just takes me way too long to get back up again. I can't keep going on this cycle, because every time I crash, it's taking me longer and longer to get back up. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I've basically ignored all my friends for the past year. I never answer my phone, I never respond to emails. I don't have the energy to fake happiness. I don't have the same energy level my friends do. I know that my CF is not physically stopping me right now. But it takes so much of my time to keep my lung function that good. It takes so much time doing treatments.
<br> I went away to college on a scholarship, but dropped out my first semester because I was in the hospital too much. Now I live with my parents and sometimes go to community college. I want to go away again, but I'm afraid. And my parents don't believe I can do it anymore. And the money problems weight heavy on my mind. I find excuses for everything.
<br> I am two grand in debt. + 6 grand for my student loans. And I only have 42 credits. I used to know what I wanted a degree in, but now I can't imagine ever holding down any job.
<br> Every time I try and fail, I become more scared to try again. And as of right now, I have a lot of failures stacking up. All I want, is to travel, live with someone my age, and get drunk. But I have better expectations of myself. I know I can do better. I know that won't make me happy. But I just don't know how to stand back up again. I'm just going to get sick, and it's all going to come crashing down anyway. Why try?

<br><br> And no wonder I've lost all my friends, when all I want is someone to listen to me complain. Who would want a friend who just did that all the time? And was never fun?
Advice, words of wisdom, or just people who have been/are there would be appreciated. My AIM is mama konyagi, please feel free to message me.

detroitislove

I've been battleing depression for five or six years now. I take prozac. I've yet to find a therapist who works for me (although I give up easily so I haven't tried that hard to find a good one). <br><br> I am on all the typical CF meds that take time and effort. I go in for IV's once or twice a year. I have no problem gaining weight, and my FEV1 is 93%. My doctors/parents/everyone thinks I should be able to have a "normal" life. They think I should be able to go to school, work, get married, have children, travel, etc... and they don't foresee me needing transplant unless something changes (like I catch a bug that brings my lungs crashing down) drastically. <br> <br>
All of this sounds great, but I can't actually put it into action. I do amazing things for a few months, and then I totally crash, and don't recover for a year or two. It's completely frusterating. Once I raised $9000.00 in 3 months! Once I volunteered in an orphanage in Tanzania for 3 months! I graduated top ten at my high school. I have a 3.8 GPA in the college courses I've taken. I've tried a lot of things, karate (I'm a purple belt), dance, soccer, cheerleading (I'm super flexible), yoga, guitar lessons, violin lessons, i was on colorgaurd when we won the state championship, etc... I read all the time, I write a lot. I aspire to be an author. I aspire to do a lot of things. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years, and now I'm a vegan. I'm a good cook (of both vegan and omnivore fare). I have a lot of strengths. I am good at resolving conflicts and difusing sitautions.
<br><br>But for all the great things I've done, and the good aspects of me, I still let it all come crashing down. And it just takes me way too long to get back up again. I can't keep going on this cycle, because every time I crash, it's taking me longer and longer to get back up. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I've basically ignored all my friends for the past year. I never answer my phone, I never respond to emails. I don't have the energy to fake happiness. I don't have the same energy level my friends do. I know that my CF is not physically stopping me right now. But it takes so much of my time to keep my lung function that good. It takes so much time doing treatments.
<br> I went away to college on a scholarship, but dropped out my first semester because I was in the hospital too much. Now I live with my parents and sometimes go to community college. I want to go away again, but I'm afraid. And my parents don't believe I can do it anymore. And the money problems weight heavy on my mind. I find excuses for everything.
<br> I am two grand in debt. + 6 grand for my student loans. And I only have 42 credits. I used to know what I wanted a degree in, but now I can't imagine ever holding down any job.
<br> Every time I try and fail, I become more scared to try again. And as of right now, I have a lot of failures stacking up. All I want, is to travel, live with someone my age, and get drunk. But I have better expectations of myself. I know I can do better. I know that won't make me happy. But I just don't know how to stand back up again. I'm just going to get sick, and it's all going to come crashing down anyway. Why try?

<br><br> And no wonder I've lost all my friends, when all I want is someone to listen to me complain. Who would want a friend who just did that all the time? And was never fun?
Advice, words of wisdom, or just people who have been/are there would be appreciated. My AIM is mama konyagi, please feel free to message me.

detroitislove

detroitislove

detroitislove

lightNlife

You sound very overwhelmed. It's no wonder you're struggling and feeling like you have no one to listen to you. Cystic fibrosis takes it toll on us in so many ways, not the least of which is our mental energy and well-being.

I too struggle with depression, and have gone through those highs and lows of getting so much done then crashing--HARD. Please know that you're not alone in this. Finding the right balance of school, social activity, volunteering and maintaining good lung function and overall health is far from easy.

As I read about what you've been going through, a few lines from the musical "Evita" came to mind.

"What good is the strongest heart in a body that's falling apart? A serious flaw--I hope you know that."

"Oh what I'd give for a hundred years, but the physical interferes every day more, oh my creator."

I think these are thoughts and feelings that many people with chronic illness (not just CF) struggle with.

I hope you don't mind, but here are just a few links to articles I have posted on my blog (Understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com) on depression, CF and coping with it. I hope you find them useful.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.helium.com/items/964366-individuals-chronic-illness-disease
">http://www.helium.com/items/96...ronic-illness-disease
</a><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/reinvent-your-dreams.html
">http://understandingcysticfibr...vent-your-dreams.html
</a><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/are-cf-patients-more-prone-to.html
">http://understandingcysticfibr...ts-more-prone-to.html
</a>

Please feel free to PM me at any time too if you need encouragement or just a sounding board. I'm not on AIM very much these days, but my name there is Lgrace217. Go ahead and IM me sometime if you like.

You are among friends here. This site is all about support and encouragement. I hope I can help provide that in at least some small way.

Warmly,
Lauren

lightNlife

You sound very overwhelmed. It's no wonder you're struggling and feeling like you have no one to listen to you. Cystic fibrosis takes it toll on us in so many ways, not the least of which is our mental energy and well-being.

I too struggle with depression, and have gone through those highs and lows of getting so much done then crashing--HARD. Please know that you're not alone in this. Finding the right balance of school, social activity, volunteering and maintaining good lung function and overall health is far from easy.

As I read about what you've been going through, a few lines from the musical "Evita" came to mind.

"What good is the strongest heart in a body that's falling apart? A serious flaw--I hope you know that."

"Oh what I'd give for a hundred years, but the physical interferes every day more, oh my creator."

I think these are thoughts and feelings that many people with chronic illness (not just CF) struggle with.

I hope you don't mind, but here are just a few links to articles I have posted on my blog (Understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com) on depression, CF and coping with it. I hope you find them useful.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.helium.com/items/964366-individuals-chronic-illness-disease
</a><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/reinvent-your-dreams.html
</a><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/are-cf-patients-more-prone-to.html
</a>

Please feel free to PM me at any time too if you need encouragement or just a sounding board. I'm not on AIM very much these days, but my name there is Lgrace217. Go ahead and IM me sometime if you like.

You are among friends here. This site is all about support and encouragement. I hope I can help provide that in at least some small way.

Warmly,
Lauren

lightNlife

</a>

Warmly,
Lauren

lightNlife

</a>

Warmly,
Lauren

lightNlife

<br />
<br />I too struggle with depression, and have gone through those highs and lows of getting so much done then crashing--HARD. Please know that you're not alone in this. Finding the right balance of school, social activity, volunteering and maintaining good lung function and overall health is far from easy.
<br />
<br />As I read about what you've been going through, a few lines from the musical "Evita" came to mind.
<br />
<br />"What good is the strongest heart in a body that's falling apart? A serious flaw--I hope you know that."
<br />
<br />"Oh what I'd give for a hundred years, but the physical interferes every day more, oh my creator."
<br />
<br />I think these are thoughts and feelings that many people with chronic illness (not just CF) struggle with.
<br />
<br />I hope you don't mind, but here are just a few links to articles I have posted on my blog (Understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com) on depression, CF and coping with it. I hope you find them useful.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.helium.com/items/964366-individuals-chronic-illness-disease
</a><br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/reinvent-your-dreams.html
</a><br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/09/are-cf-patients-more-prone-to.html
</a><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Please feel free to PM me at any time too if you need encouragement or just a sounding board. I'm not on AIM very much these days, but my name there is Lgrace217. Go ahead and IM me sometime if you like.
<br />
<br />You are among friends here. This site is all about support and encouragement. I hope I can help provide that in at least some small way.
<br />
<br />Warmly,
<br />Lauren

bagged2drag

Life is sure tough, and that is something that isn't going to change any time soon. A number of years ago I went through a period of severe depression. I didn't care about life, my relationship, my job, the stresses of CF just overcame all other rationale. Like you, I had lost some of my friends. They told me I had become an old man, I had also lost out on a serious relationship, not just because of that, there were numerous circumstances surrounding that. Anyways, I never felt I would succeed in school, tried going a couple times and dropped out both times. Work was a drag, nothing but problems because of the time I was missing due to my health. After about 2 years or so, I decided it was time for a change. I decided to not care about the things that I cared about too much (ie. bills, health, etc). Instead, I finally started focusing on the day, doing my treatments, just making it to work if I could, ignoring the consequences if I couldn't. I really just started living again. I figured I can't change the past, I can't change the fact I have this impairment (cf), so why not focus on what I can change, that was my attitude about these hindrances. It took a long time, but my health improved substantially, both my physical health and my emotional health. I had lung function in the low 20's 8 years ago, and most recently I am in the upper 40's. I missed work an average of 4+ months a year to now only a few days, plus my tune-ups (about a month for that total). Do I still have financial problems? Absolutely, well over 30 thousand worth of them, but they aren't going away, and theres not much I can do. I go to school online, it helps with my compliance for my meds. Best of all, I am no longer that old man (most of the time).

The point to my story you may ask?

Life is absolutely hard, all of us cf'ers here, along with many others in the world, have been dealt an incomplete deck of cards. We can still choose to play our own game though. You are a strong person, you have had many great accomplishments, and you will pull through this. You need to find something to relax you, get your mind off things, a distraction. The stresses of cf aren't going to go away, the best I can do is suggest finding something to pull your attention away from those stresses.

I found myself a host of hobbies, plus I work a ton now. I shouldn't do either, as both my hobbies and my work aren't the best for my health. I learned though, the effects of having nothing to keep me distracted were more harmful that my hobbies.

I really wish the best for you.

bagged2drag

Life is sure tough, and that is something that isn't going to change any time soon. A number of years ago I went through a period of severe depression. I didn't care about life, my relationship, my job, the stresses of CF just overcame all other rationale. Like you, I had lost some of my friends. They told me I had become an old man, I had also lost out on a serious relationship, not just because of that, there were numerous circumstances surrounding that. Anyways, I never felt I would succeed in school, tried going a couple times and dropped out both times. Work was a drag, nothing but problems because of the time I was missing due to my health. After about 2 years or so, I decided it was time for a change. I decided to not care about the things that I cared about too much (ie. bills, health, etc). Instead, I finally started focusing on the day, doing my treatments, just making it to work if I could, ignoring the consequences if I couldn't. I really just started living again. I figured I can't change the past, I can't change the fact I have this impairment (cf), so why not focus on what I can change, that was my attitude about these hindrances. It took a long time, but my health improved substantially, both my physical health and my emotional health. I had lung function in the low 20's 8 years ago, and most recently I am in the upper 40's. I missed work an average of 4+ months a year to now only a few days, plus my tune-ups (about a month for that total). Do I still have financial problems? Absolutely, well over 30 thousand worth of them, but they aren't going away, and theres not much I can do. I go to school online, it helps with my compliance for my meds. Best of all, I am no longer that old man (most of the time).

Life is absolutely hard, all of us cf'ers here, along with many others in the world, have been dealt an incomplete deck of cards. We can still choose to play our own game though. You are a strong person, you have had many great accomplishments, and you will pull through this. You need to find something to relax you, get your mind off things, a distraction. The stresses of cf aren't going to go away, the best I can do is suggest finding something to pull your attention away from those stresses.

I found myself a host of hobbies, plus I work a ton now. I shouldn't do either, as both my hobbies and my work aren't the best for my health. I learned though, the effects of having nothing to keep me distracted were more harmful that my hobbies.

bagged2drag

bagged2drag

bagged2drag

<br />
<br />The point to my story you may ask?
<br />
<br />Life is absolutely hard, all of us cf'ers here, along with many others in the world, have been dealt an incomplete deck of cards. We can still choose to play our own game though. You are a strong person, you have had many great accomplishments, and you will pull through this. You need to find something to relax you, get your mind off things, a distraction. The stresses of cf aren't going to go away, the best I can do is suggest finding something to pull your attention away from those stresses.
<br />
<br />I found myself a host of hobbies, plus I work a ton now. I shouldn't do either, as both my hobbies and my work aren't the best for my health. I learned though, the effects of having nothing to keep me distracted were more harmful that my hobbies.
<br />
<br />I really wish the best for you.

izemmom

would it help to know you're not alone?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dancing65roses.blogspot.com/2008/04/realizations-and-comments-for-world.html
">http://dancing65roses.blogspot...mments-for-world.html
</a>
you'll probably have to copy it into your browser...I can never get the links I cpopy to work correctly on here.

izemmom

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dancing65roses.blogspot.com/2008/04/realizations-and-comments-for-world.html
</a>
you'll probably have to copy it into your browser...I can never get the links I cpopy to work correctly on here.

izemmom

</a>

izemmom

</a>

izemmom

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dancing65roses.blogspot.com/2008/04/realizations-and-comments-for-world.html
</a><br />
<br />you'll probably have to copy it into your browser...I can never get the links I cpopy to work correctly on here.
<br />
<br />
<br />