B. cepacia traced to contaminated distilled water

JazzysMom

Hey Shine!

Not all of my post was directed toward you tho it appears that way. I really was addressing the bottled water or where it can be found in general.

Happy Holidays to you also!

JazzysMom

Hey Shine!

Not all of my post was directed toward you tho it appears that way. I really was addressing the bottled water or where it can be found in general.

JazzysMom

Hey Shine!

JazzysMom

Hey Shine!

JazzysMom

Hey Shine!
<br />
<br />Not all of my post was directed toward you tho it appears that way. I really was addressing the bottled water or where it can be found in general.
<br />
<br />Happy Holidays to you also!

Nightwriter

I just wanted to make a few points regarding various posts above.

One of things that I don't like about Neilmed bottles is even hanging them upside down, I couldn't get them to dry. I like the idea that Grassisgreener suggested of having a few bottles. Because of poor drying, I looked for another brand with a wider mouth, so it could dry. I found SinuCleanse, sold in most drugs stores. This does dry quickly. However, the top part with the straw does not dry, just like the Neilmed.

I think the reason Neilmed suggests distilled water, is because calcium deposits may build up in the bottle. I clean my bottles by first swishing boiled water in it, and emptying. Then I fill it up and topping it off with vinegar (Neilmed suggested using Vinegar to clean it. Then I place it upside down in a glass and let it sit for a half hour. Then empty and dry upside down.

For those who are interested, the shower is a source of bacteria and irritants, especially chlorine which is a essentially a "poison" for people with repiratory disease. You can get a small inexpensive chlorine filter for your shower head. There are different kinds depending upon the type of shower head. They sell them in Home Depot, Loews etc.

It is true that most P.A. and Cepacia are acquired in the hospital. A major source of picking up these bacterias are from invasive procedures using unclean medical equipment, like those
used in bronchs. Some people on this site also believe they got Cepacia from contaminated PFT machines, which unfortunately we can't avoid.

I don't want to live in a bubble either, but if I know these bacterias ARE in certain things, I take precautions. Pre-packaged salads have Pseudomonas. That was on the news last year, so I avoid them. It's just not a necessity.

For me, a few easy steps can make the difference of being sick all the time and being well. Being sick to me is so much harder.

BTW,to make life easier for myself, I use a large glass measuring cup which I put in the microwave and set for 15 minutes. It's then easy to pour. I use it for the Nasal Rinse, and to rinse my Flutter.

Nightwriter

One of things that I don't like about Neilmed bottles is even hanging them upside down, I couldn't get them to dry. I like the idea that Grassisgreener suggested of having a few bottles. Because of poor drying, I looked for another brand with a wider mouth, so it could dry. I found SinuCleanse, sold in most drugs stores. This does dry quickly. However, the top part with the straw does not dry, just like the Neilmed.

I think the reason Neilmed suggests distilled water, is because calcium deposits may build up in the bottle. I clean my bottles by first swishing boiled water in it, and emptying. Then I fill it up and topping it off with vinegar (Neilmed suggested using Vinegar to clean it. Then I place it upside down in a glass and let it sit for a half hour. Then empty and dry upside down.

For those who are interested, the shower is a source of bacteria and irritants, especially chlorine which is a essentially a "poison" for people with repiratory disease. You can get a small inexpensive chlorine filter for your shower head. There are different kinds depending upon the type of shower head. They sell them in Home Depot, Loews etc.

It is true that most P.A. and Cepacia are acquired in the hospital. A major source of picking up these bacterias are from invasive procedures using unclean medical equipment, like those
used in bronchs. Some people on this site also believe they got Cepacia from contaminated PFT machines, which unfortunately we can't avoid.

I don't want to live in a bubble either, but if I know these bacterias ARE in certain things, I take precautions. Pre-packaged salads have Pseudomonas. That was on the news last year, so I avoid them. It's just not a necessity.

For me, a few easy steps can make the difference of being sick all the time and being well. Being sick to me is so much harder.

BTW,to make life easier for myself, I use a large glass measuring cup which I put in the microwave and set for 15 minutes. It's then easy to pour. I use it for the Nasal Rinse, and to rinse my Flutter.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />One of things that I don't like about Neilmed bottles is even hanging them upside down, I couldn't get them to dry. I like the idea that Grassisgreener suggested of having a few bottles. Because of poor drying, I looked for another brand with a wider mouth, so it could dry. I found SinuCleanse, sold in most drugs stores. This does dry quickly. However, the top part with the straw does not dry, just like the Neilmed.
<br />
<br />I think the reason Neilmed suggests distilled water, is because calcium deposits may build up in the bottle. I clean my bottles by first swishing boiled water in it, and emptying. Then I fill it up and topping it off with vinegar (Neilmed suggested using Vinegar to clean it. Then I place it upside down in a glass and let it sit for a half hour. Then empty and dry upside down.
<br />
<br />For those who are interested, the shower is a source of bacteria and irritants, especially chlorine which is a essentially a "poison" for people with repiratory disease. You can get a small inexpensive chlorine filter for your shower head. There are different kinds depending upon the type of shower head. They sell them in Home Depot, Loews etc.
<br />
<br />It is true that most P.A. and Cepacia are acquired in the hospital. A major source of picking up these bacterias are from invasive procedures using unclean medical equipment, like those
<br />used in bronchs. Some people on this site also believe they got Cepacia from contaminated PFT machines, which unfortunately we can't avoid.
<br />
<br />I don't want to live in a bubble either, but if I know these bacterias ARE in certain things, I take precautions. Pre-packaged salads have Pseudomonas. That was on the news last year, so I avoid them. It's just not a necessity.
<br />
<br />For me, a few easy steps can make the difference of being sick all the time and being well. Being sick to me is so much harder.
<br />
<br />BTW,to make life easier for myself, I use a large glass measuring cup which I put in the microwave and set for 15 minutes. It's then easy to pour. I use it for the Nasal Rinse, and to rinse my Flutter.

L

liveinhope

Please help with some advice.
I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.

L

liveinhope

I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.

L

liveinhope

L

liveinhope

L

liveinhope

<br />I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.
<br />

Prussian

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>liveinhope</b></i>

I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.</end quote></div>

This is a good question, I also boil my nebs for 10 to 15 min and put them in the microwave to dry for 7 min. They also have that whitish looking substance on them, does anyone know if this is safe? I'll have to ask my doc next time.

Prussian

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>liveinhope</b></i>

I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.</end quote></div>

This is a good question, I also boil my nebs for 10 to 15 min and put them in the microwave to dry for 7 min. They also have that whitish looking substance on them, does anyone know if this is safe? I'll have to ask my doc next time.

Prussian

Prussian

I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.</end quote>

Prussian

<br />
<br />Please help with some advice.
<br />
<br />I boil my sons nebulizers for 10 mins and they are left with a white powder when they are dry. I think it might be limescale from the water. Is this OK or should I dry them from the pan on paper towels.</end quote>
<br />
<br />This is a good question, I also boil my nebs for 10 to 15 min and put them in the microwave to dry for 7 min. They also have that whitish looking substance on them, does anyone know if this is safe? I'll have to ask my doc next time.