Bek cultured Achromobacter

RebekahsMom

I also posted this in families, but I'm looking for all the info I can find.

We found out that Bek has cultured Achromobacter. After looking it up on Google, I have to try to find out what strain she has. It might still be to early to know, but I'll see what I can find out. Her nurse came in earlier and showed me a note that was written - Achromobacter sp. rare gram neg. rods. I'm assuming the sp. stands for species, but not sure, and I'm not even going to pretend I know what 'gram negative rods' means. Hopefully I'll be able to find out more info when they make their rounds tomorrow afternoon. I do know that they will probably be starting her on Bactrim, even though they said they don't normally treat it.

Has anyone cultured achromobacter? Did it get treated? Were there specific symptoms that are associated with it? Any information would be great. What I've seen so far has all been medical scientific terminology.

RebekahsMom

We found out that Bek has cultured Achromobacter. After looking it up on Google, I have to try to find out what strain she has. It might still be to early to know, but I'll see what I can find out. Her nurse came in earlier and showed me a note that was written - Achromobacter sp. rare gram neg. rods. I'm assuming the sp. stands for species, but not sure, and I'm not even going to pretend I know what 'gram negative rods' means. Hopefully I'll be able to find out more info when they make their rounds tomorrow afternoon. I do know that they will probably be starting her on Bactrim, even though they said they don't normally treat it.

Has anyone cultured achromobacter? Did it get treated? Were there specific symptoms that are associated with it? Any information would be great. What I've seen so far has all been medical scientific terminology.

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

<br />
<br />We found out that Bek has cultured Achromobacter. After looking it up on Google, I have to try to find out what strain she has. It might still be to early to know, but I'll see what I can find out. Her nurse came in earlier and showed me a note that was written - Achromobacter sp. rare gram neg. rods. I'm assuming the sp. stands for species, but not sure, and I'm not even going to pretend I know what 'gram negative rods' means. Hopefully I'll be able to find out more info when they make their rounds tomorrow afternoon. I do know that they will probably be starting her on Bactrim, even though they said they don't normally treat it.
<br />
<br />Has anyone cultured achromobacter? Did it get treated? Were there specific symptoms that are associated with it? Any information would be great. What I've seen so far has all been medical scientific terminology.

JustDucky

Yes, I am culturing it now...Achromobacter xylosoxidans is the cootie living in my lungs presently along with others. I have been having a hard time with it as it is fairly resistant but it is possible to get rid of it apparently. I have been culturing it since September of this year, have had a few blasts of IV's and it is still there. From what I understand, it certainly can cause exacerbations in CF symptoms but isn't as destructive as PA or MRSA (that is what I was told anyways)
Gram negative rod just refers to the shape of the bacteria under special staining as well as its color (gram neg. bacteria show up as pink under the microscope). It helps with treatment before the final culture is in... Rare means there weren't many bacteria observed under the microscope after staining. That is good actually, she doesn't have a large colony count.
With me, my symptoms were increased cough, fatigue...kind of like any exacerbation of symptoms. Oh and a low grade temperature. If a person isn't symptomatic, then I don't think it is treated.
Hope this helps..
Jenn

JustDucky

Yes, I am culturing it now...Achromobacter xylosoxidans is the cootie living in my lungs presently along with others. I have been having a hard time with it as it is fairly resistant but it is possible to get rid of it apparently. I have been culturing it since September of this year, have had a few blasts of IV's and it is still there. From what I understand, it certainly can cause exacerbations in CF symptoms but isn't as destructive as PA or MRSA (that is what I was told anyways)
Gram negative rod just refers to the shape of the bacteria under special staining as well as its color (gram neg. bacteria show up as pink under the microscope). It helps with treatment before the final culture is in... Rare means there weren't many bacteria observed under the microscope after staining. That is good actually, she doesn't have a large colony count.
With me, my symptoms were increased cough, fatigue...kind of like any exacerbation of symptoms. Oh and a low grade temperature. If a person isn't symptomatic, then I don't think it is treated.
Hope this helps..
Jenn

JustDucky

Hope this helps..
Jenn

JustDucky

Hope this helps..
Jenn

JustDucky

<br />Gram negative rod just refers to the shape of the bacteria under special staining as well as its color (gram neg. bacteria show up as pink under the microscope). It helps with treatment before the final culture is in... Rare means there weren't many bacteria observed under the microscope after staining. That is good actually, she doesn't have a large colony count.
<br />With me, my symptoms were increased cough, fatigue...kind of like any exacerbation of symptoms. Oh and a low grade temperature. If a person isn't symptomatic, then I don't think it is treated.
<br />Hope this helps..
<br />Jenn

RebekahsMom

Jenn,

Is it possible for her to have had this for a long while and it just now show up??? She has been running low grade fevers (99.0 - 101.5) since 8/2008. Yes, for well over a year. They did blood work about 6 months ago, but everything came back normal. They don't know why she is running the fevers.

Thank you for the other info, as well.

RebekahsMom

Jenn,

Is it possible for her to have had this for a long while and it just now show up??? She has been running low grade fevers (99.0 - 101.5) since 8/2008. Yes, for well over a year. They did blood work about 6 months ago, but everything came back normal. They don't know why she is running the fevers.

RebekahsMom

Jenn,

RebekahsMom

Jenn,

RebekahsMom

Jenn,
<br />
<br />Is it possible for her to have had this for a long while and it just now show up??? She has been running low grade fevers (99.0 - 101.5) since 8/2008. Yes, for well over a year. They did blood work about 6 months ago, but everything came back normal. They don't know why she is running the fevers.
<br />
<br />Thank you for the other info, as well.

NYCLawGirl

I have cultured achromobacter for a while now. It definitely causes flare-ups that need to be treated, but my treatment plan didn't change initially just because it showed up (i.e., I wasn't put on an extra full time antibiotic or anything). Keep in mind that I already cultured PA, prior to the achromobacter, so now I have both. I've had several rounds of IVs since then and it's still there, but I also have pretty severe lung damage so it would be tough to get rid of anything at this stage probably.

I was told at the time that CFers with achromobacter tend to have more frequent infections but that it isn't normally associated with a major drop in lung function. This has more or less been my experience with the bug too.

I can't actually tell a difference between my PA infections and my achromobacter infections -- I just wait for the cultures to show which one is acting up at any given time. There's no special symptoms that point to one or the other for me.

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

I have cultured achromobacter for a while now. It definitely causes flare-ups that need to be treated, but my treatment plan didn't change initially just because it showed up (i.e., I wasn't put on an extra full time antibiotic or anything). Keep in mind that I already cultured PA, prior to the achromobacter, so now I have both. I've had several rounds of IVs since then and it's still there, but I also have pretty severe lung damage so it would be tough to get rid of anything at this stage probably.

I was told at the time that CFers with achromobacter tend to have more frequent infections but that it isn't normally associated with a major drop in lung function. This has more or less been my experience with the bug too.

I can't actually tell a difference between my PA infections and my achromobacter infections -- I just wait for the cultures to show which one is acting up at any given time. There's no special symptoms that point to one or the other for me.

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />I was told at the time that CFers with achromobacter tend to have more frequent infections but that it isn't normally associated with a major drop in lung function. This has more or less been my experience with the bug too.
<br />
<br />I can't actually tell a difference between my PA infections and my achromobacter infections -- I just wait for the cultures to show which one is acting up at any given time. There's no special symptoms that point to one or the other for me.
<br />
<br />Good luck!