bizarre CF Munchausen case

Landy

It burns my back-side too, and I know there are those with Munchausen here on our boards, pulling our chains, and I wish they would move on to having some other "condition"...or better yet, go get some psych. help!!!

Landy

It burns my back-side too, and I know there are those with Munchausen here on our boards, pulling our chains, and I wish they would move on to having some other "condition"...or better yet, go get some psych. help!!!

Landy

Landy

Landy

Brad

Landy, do you really think we have people with Munchausen's on this site?
I ran into one a few months back on a another site that Covers many conditions
But there was one that said they had Cf. They are no longer there.

It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !

Brad

Brad

Brad

Brad

<br /> I ran into one a few months back on a another site that Covers many conditions
<br /> But there was one that said they had Cf. They are no longer there.
<br />
<br /> It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !

ReneeP

It boggles my mind to think of what some people will put themselves and/or their children through for attention.

I think I was close to being accused of having Munchausen Symdrome by Proxy when my oldest daughter was little. Although no one used those actual words with me, several doctors gave me the impression that they thought I was making stuff up or causing some of her problems. It scares me to think what might have happened if I hadn't read enough medical books to finally diagnose her myself and insist on a sweat test. Even my own family thought I was crazy until the diagnoses was finally confirmed.

Kaitlyn was pretty healthy until she was about 9 months old, although she was extremely fussy and wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY. She refused any other food...never drank a bottle in her life. And the times I would manage to force a bite of baby food in her mouth, she would gag and throw up. She always had the lose, greasy bm's, but the doctors would insist that it was just because she was breast fed. And they told me that the only reason she wouldn't eat food was because I had spoiled her (a pediatrician actually used those exact words to me) by letting her nurse as much as she wanted and not forcing her to eat other foods.

Around 9 months the lung issues started. She was always sick... coughing, vomiting, wheezing... They would hospitilize her overnight, get the wheezing under control and send her home... we'd be right back within a day or two in the same shape. (we later learned that she was severely allergic to mold and there was a mold problem in the house we were living in). The week she turned 2 she nearly died of pneumonia. She was in the hospital for a week or so on IV antibiotics.

I had read about CF in medical books and thought it sounded a lot like what she had...I had even mentioned it to a couple of doctors and had called a couple of nurselines asking about it. Bascially they all thought I was being rediculous. Kaitlyn had been hospitalized numerous times, had been through upper GI's and speech therapy for a "gag reflux" they thought she had. She had been tortured her entire life.

Finally I happened to run into a girl I had gone to high school with. I hadn't seen her in years and we started talking about our kids. She had two daughters with CF. When she described her kids to me I knew with 100% certainty that was what was wrong with Kaitlyn. I drove her to the pediatrican and told him I was not leaving without an order for a sweat test. He argued with me... insisted that she couldn't have CF...he even asked me if my husband and I were related since CF is genetic. Finally he gave in and wrote the order to get me out of his office. We went straight to the hospital and the rest is history...

She was 2 1/2 when she was diagnosed (she is DDF508). She was hospitalized once more the week she turned 3 for a 5 day mini-tuneup. From that day on until she was 12 years old she was not sick a single day! When she hit puberty she started having some issues and has been on IV's a few times since then but is still very healthy, relatively speaking. She is almost 15 and has a FEV1 of 110%.

My youngest daughter also has CF, has never had a lung infection and has a FEV1 of 125%...she has severe sinus problems though. Her life has been much easier because we knew before birth that she had CF and she was treated properly from day 1. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened, not only to me but to Kaitlyn, if I hadn't forced the issue of the sweat test. I also wonder how many parents are falsely accused of making their kids sick... I am very hesitant to believe those stories now because of what I went through.

ReneeP

It boggles my mind to think of what some people will put themselves and/or their children through for attention.

I think I was close to being accused of having Munchausen Symdrome by Proxy when my oldest daughter was little. Although no one used those actual words with me, several doctors gave me the impression that they thought I was making stuff up or causing some of her problems. It scares me to think what might have happened if I hadn't read enough medical books to finally diagnose her myself and insist on a sweat test. Even my own family thought I was crazy until the diagnoses was finally confirmed.

Kaitlyn was pretty healthy until she was about 9 months old, although she was extremely fussy and wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY. She refused any other food...never drank a bottle in her life. And the times I would manage to force a bite of baby food in her mouth, she would gag and throw up. She always had the lose, greasy bm's, but the doctors would insist that it was just because she was breast fed. And they told me that the only reason she wouldn't eat food was because I had spoiled her (a pediatrician actually used those exact words to me) by letting her nurse as much as she wanted and not forcing her to eat other foods.

Around 9 months the lung issues started. She was always sick... coughing, vomiting, wheezing... They would hospitilize her overnight, get the wheezing under control and send her home... we'd be right back within a day or two in the same shape. (we later learned that she was severely allergic to mold and there was a mold problem in the house we were living in). The week she turned 2 she nearly died of pneumonia. She was in the hospital for a week or so on IV antibiotics.

I had read about CF in medical books and thought it sounded a lot like what she had...I had even mentioned it to a couple of doctors and had called a couple of nurselines asking about it. Bascially they all thought I was being rediculous. Kaitlyn had been hospitalized numerous times, had been through upper GI's and speech therapy for a "gag reflux" they thought she had. She had been tortured her entire life.

Finally I happened to run into a girl I had gone to high school with. I hadn't seen her in years and we started talking about our kids. She had two daughters with CF. When she described her kids to me I knew with 100% certainty that was what was wrong with Kaitlyn. I drove her to the pediatrican and told him I was not leaving without an order for a sweat test. He argued with me... insisted that she couldn't have CF...he even asked me if my husband and I were related since CF is genetic. Finally he gave in and wrote the order to get me out of his office. We went straight to the hospital and the rest is history...

She was 2 1/2 when she was diagnosed (she is DDF508). She was hospitalized once more the week she turned 3 for a 5 day mini-tuneup. From that day on until she was 12 years old she was not sick a single day! When she hit puberty she started having some issues and has been on IV's a few times since then but is still very healthy, relatively speaking. She is almost 15 and has a FEV1 of 110%.

My youngest daughter also has CF, has never had a lung infection and has a FEV1 of 125%...she has severe sinus problems though. Her life has been much easier because we knew before birth that she had CF and she was treated properly from day 1. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened, not only to me but to Kaitlyn, if I hadn't forced the issue of the sweat test. I also wonder how many parents are falsely accused of making their kids sick... I am very hesitant to believe those stories now because of what I went through.

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

<br />
<br />I think I was close to being accused of having Munchausen Symdrome by Proxy when my oldest daughter was little. Although no one used those actual words with me, several doctors gave me the impression that they thought I was making stuff up or causing some of her problems. It scares me to think what might have happened if I hadn't read enough medical books to finally diagnose her myself and insist on a sweat test. Even my own family thought I was crazy until the diagnoses was finally confirmed.
<br />
<br />Kaitlyn was pretty healthy until she was about 9 months old, although she was extremely fussy and wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY. She refused any other food...never drank a bottle in her life. And the times I would manage to force a bite of baby food in her mouth, she would gag and throw up. She always had the lose, greasy bm's, but the doctors would insist that it was just because she was breast fed. And they told me that the only reason she wouldn't eat food was because I had spoiled her (a pediatrician actually used those exact words to me) by letting her nurse as much as she wanted and not forcing her to eat other foods.
<br />
<br />Around 9 months the lung issues started. She was always sick... coughing, vomiting, wheezing... They would hospitilize her overnight, get the wheezing under control and send her home... we'd be right back within a day or two in the same shape. (we later learned that she was severely allergic to mold and there was a mold problem in the house we were living in). The week she turned 2 she nearly died of pneumonia. She was in the hospital for a week or so on IV antibiotics.
<br />
<br />I had read about CF in medical books and thought it sounded a lot like what she had...I had even mentioned it to a couple of doctors and had called a couple of nurselines asking about it. Bascially they all thought I was being rediculous. Kaitlyn had been hospitalized numerous times, had been through upper GI's and speech therapy for a "gag reflux" they thought she had. She had been tortured her entire life.
<br />
<br />Finally I happened to run into a girl I had gone to high school with. I hadn't seen her in years and we started talking about our kids. She had two daughters with CF. When she described her kids to me I knew with 100% certainty that was what was wrong with Kaitlyn. I drove her to the pediatrican and told him I was not leaving without an order for a sweat test. He argued with me... insisted that she couldn't have CF...he even asked me if my husband and I were related since CF is genetic. Finally he gave in and wrote the order to get me out of his office. We went straight to the hospital and the rest is history...
<br />
<br />She was 2 1/2 when she was diagnosed (she is DDF508). She was hospitalized once more the week she turned 3 for a 5 day mini-tuneup. From that day on until she was 12 years old she was not sick a single day! When she hit puberty she started having some issues and has been on IV's a few times since then but is still very healthy, relatively speaking. She is almost 15 and has a FEV1 of 110%.
<br />
<br />My youngest daughter also has CF, has never had a lung infection and has a FEV1 of 125%...she has severe sinus problems though. Her life has been much easier because we knew before birth that she had CF and she was treated properly from day 1. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened, not only to me but to Kaitlyn, if I hadn't forced the issue of the sweat test. I also wonder how many parents are falsely accused of making their kids sick... I am very hesitant to believe those stories now because of what I went through.
<br />

Landy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Brad</b></i>

It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !</end quote></div>

There are many sign-on names that I suspect, whether they are all the same person or not, only the admins know.

I'll send ya a PM...

Landy

It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !</end quote></div>

There are many sign-on names that I suspect, whether they are all the same person or not, only the admins know.

I'll send ya a PM...

Landy

I'll send ya a PM...

Landy

It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !</end quote>

I'll send ya a PM...

Landy

<br />
<br />Landy, do you really think we have people with Munchausen's on this site?
<br />
<br /> I ran into one a few months back on a another site that Covers many conditions
<br />
<br /> But there was one that said they had Cf. They are no longer there.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /> It was sad and made many mad and leery. I Hope We have no one here like that !</end quote>
<br />
<br />There are many sign-on names that I suspect, whether they are all the same person or not, only the admins know.
<br />
<br />I'll send ya a PM...
<br />
<br />
<br />