Blood in sputum

<br>Ok so I have been sick since Thanksgiving ish and I did a round of avalox and levaquin. It made me feel better, but then we had a weather change here in good old VA and I sound crappy again. Well Tonight I had a coughing fit and ended up sitting in the kitchen floor and acidently spit some mucus out....and I noticed a little bit of red stuff. So what does this mean? Should I worry about it or just monitor it or what? I am seriously FREAKING out and my husband is just like just don't worry about it unless it keeps happening.....Can someone get on chat or something and talk to me about it?

<br>Ok so I have been sick since Thanksgiving ish and I did a round of avalox and levaquin. It made me feel better, but then we had a weather change here in good old VA and I sound crappy again. Well Tonight I had a coughing fit and ended up sitting in the kitchen floor and acidently spit some mucus out....and I noticed a little bit of red stuff. So what does this mean? Should I worry about it or just monitor it or what? I am seriously FREAKING out and my husband is just like just don't worry about it unless it keeps happening.....Can someone get on chat or something and talk to me about it?

JaneCFer

Hey so sorry you are not feeling well. This has happened to me quite a few times. Usually it is a burst capillary (from the force of coughing), sometimes a new infection. Since this is new for you definitely contact your physician. If there is a lot of blood this is a problem and you need to seek medical attention immediately.

Feel better, God bless,
Jane

JaneCFer

Hey so sorry you are not feeling well. This has happened to me quite a few times. Usually it is a burst capillary (from the force of coughing), sometimes a new infection. Since this is new for you definitely contact your physician. If there is a lot of blood this is a problem and you need to seek medical attention immediately.

Feel better, God bless,
Jane

It wasn't a lot. It was a few streaks, but I have NEVER seen blood in something i coughed up before (except for the times I have had a bloody nose then had a cross between a coughing attack and getting sick), so needless to say, I didn't know what to think. Im going to keep an eye on it though.

It wasn't a lot. It was a few streaks, but I have NEVER seen blood in something i coughed up before (except for the times I have had a bloody nose then had a cross between a coughing attack and getting sick), so needless to say, I didn't know what to think. Im going to keep an eye on it though.

Jana

Hi--sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Coughing up blood is nasty but doesn't generally represent a problem as long as it is mixed with mucus. When you cough up straight blood, you usually know it right away--it gets everywhere. Even then, though, I think it's only a problem if it's a lot of blood. In my case, I've never required treatment for it. It's just a particularly disgusting aspect of cf.

However, I agree with Jane that it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor about something new or different like that. If for no other reason, it will give you peace of mind about it.

Jana

Hi--sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Coughing up blood is nasty but doesn't generally represent a problem as long as it is mixed with mucus. When you cough up straight blood, you usually know it right away--it gets everywhere. Even then, though, I think it's only a problem if it's a lot of blood. In my case, I've never required treatment for it. It's just a particularly disgusting aspect of cf.

However, I agree with Jane that it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor about something new or different like that. If for no other reason, it will give you peace of mind about it.

J

jessykt

Yes, this happens. I'm still taken by surprise when it happens, but it's no big deal (I've been told by drs) unless there is A LOT and if it is purely blood and not mucus streaked with blood.

Hope you feel better for the holidays!!

J

jessykt

Yes, this happens. I'm still taken by surprise when it happens, but it's no big deal (I've been told by drs) unless there is A LOT and if it is purely blood and not mucus streaked with blood.

Hope you feel better for the holidays!!

wbj3nocala

<P>Well as everyone has an opinion on this, I'll share mine, it's not "Normal". My first admission for my CF (17)was due to Hemoptysis (blood in sputum). I was scared because in the shower I kept coughing up blood.</P>
<P>The bleeding is due to infection, there are vessles in the lung inflamed and they can and will rupture. Going back to another of my experiences, in 1999 I had to have an interventional radiology procedure where they placed material in a lung vessel that was abnormal that was a "bleeder". I've had other times where it's not just streaks. I phone or see the doctors. The course of therapy sometimes are the Antibiotics you've used but also prednisone or medtrol taper to decrease lung inflammation due to lung infection.</P>
<P></P>
<P>My docs have used the scare tatics on me and guess what it works, left unchecked this is a dangerous condition to be in.</P>

wbj3nocala

<P>Well as everyone has an opinion on this, I'll share mine, it's not "Normal". My first admission for my CF (17)was due to Hemoptysis (blood in sputum). I was scared because in the shower I kept coughing up blood.</P>
<P>The bleeding is due to infection, there are vessles in the lung inflamed and they can and will rupture. Going back to another of my experiences, in 1999 I had to have an interventional radiology procedure where they placed material in a lung vessel that was abnormal that was a "bleeder". I've had other times where it's not just streaks. I phone or see the doctors. The course of therapy sometimes are the Antibiotics you've used but also prednisone or medtrol taper to decrease lung inflammation due to lung infection.</P>
<P></P>
<P>My docs have used the scare tatics on me and guess what it works, left unchecked this is a dangerous condition to be in.</P>

Melissa75

Administrator
For me, streaks of blood or orange-rusty mucus if I am ALREADY feeling really bad (chills, aches, SOB) mean things have progressed to pneumonia. If the blood comes when I am feeling okay, then I think it can be inflammation from bacteria or a variety of other stuff (hormones, smoke) or coughing too hard. Like others have said, call if its new to you or you want to check in.

My policy is conservative maybe because I have a mild bleeding disorder, but it's to go in if it's fresh and "free refills." By this I mean every few minutes, I feel and hear gurgling in my chest and cough up red blood/mucus again. (I had this over the past weekend, but I could tell I had developed pneumonia too, so it was a bit of a no-brainer to go in.)

Melissa75

Administrator
For me, streaks of blood or orange-rusty mucus if I am ALREADY feeling really bad (chills, aches, SOB) mean things have progressed to pneumonia. If the blood comes when I am feeling okay, then I think it can be inflammation from bacteria or a variety of other stuff (hormones, smoke) or coughing too hard. Like others have said, call if its new to you or you want to check in.

My policy is conservative maybe because I have a mild bleeding disorder, but it's to go in if it's fresh and "free refills." By this I mean every few minutes, I feel and hear gurgling in my chest and cough up red blood/mucus again. (I had this over the past weekend, but I could tell I had developed pneumonia too, so it was a bit of a no-brainer to go in.)

Thanks everyone. I am supposed to be going in after Christmas, so I think I will wait until then bring it up. I don't feel so bad now. I was really worried at first though.

Thanks everyone. I am supposed to be going in after Christmas, so I think I will wait until then bring it up. I don't feel so bad now. I was really worried at first though.

lilmac1177

my CF docs have told me that if it's more than a tablespoon, or persists, then you need to be checked out. over the summer i had my first experience w/ having an embolization done by an interventional radiologist (i believe same procedure wbj3nocala was speaking of in his post). they did find a vessel about as big around as a pinky finger and they were sure it was the culprit of my hemoptysis. i have had hardly any hemoptysis since.

a few streaks doesn't seem much to be worried about, though i understand freaking out if it's your first experience with it. i'd say just monitor it, maybe also mention to docs anyway. good luck to you!

lilmac1177

my CF docs have told me that if it's more than a tablespoon, or persists, then you need to be checked out. over the summer i had my first experience w/ having an embolization done by an interventional radiologist (i believe same procedure wbj3nocala was speaking of in his post). they did find a vessel about as big around as a pinky finger and they were sure it was the culprit of my hemoptysis. i have had hardly any hemoptysis since.

a few streaks doesn't seem much to be worried about, though i understand freaking out if it's your first experience with it. i'd say just monitor it, maybe also mention to docs anyway. good luck to you!

stubsgem

From what I have read in the CF Books that I have, coughing up blood can happen and as long as it's not more than a tablespoon as lilmac1177 indicated, you should be ok. My husband is 55 with CF and in the 7 years we have been together, his first episode of spitting up blood was in January of this year. Since then it has occurred twice more. I know it's very scary for both of us since it's very unnusual for him. Just keep an eye on things and like others have said, just mention it to your Dr.

Good Luck!

stubsgem

From what I have read in the CF Books that I have, coughing up blood can happen and as long as it's not more than a tablespoon as lilmac1177 indicated, you should be ok. My husband is 55 with CF and in the 7 years we have been together, his first episode of spitting up blood was in January of this year. Since then it has occurred twice more. I know it's very scary for both of us since it's very unnusual for him. Just keep an eye on things and like others have said, just mention it to your Dr.

Good Luck!