Boosting Brownie Calories

Liza

I hope posting this here will get some responses. We are on a major mission to put on some pounds. Rachel needs to gain some weight. Today we are going to make some brownies but I am wondering if anyone out there has any ideas on boosting them up a little. I know sometimes with a cake mix they say to lessen the calories or fat or something, add apple sauce in place of the oil (to be honest I never listen to those less fat, less calorie ideas so they go in one ear and out the other).

Since baking is so precise, does anyone know if or what you can substitute for the water in the brownie mix or if you can add something to it before baking? Just a thought before baking later on today.

Thanks!

Liza

I hope posting this here will get some responses. We are on a major mission to put on some pounds. Rachel needs to gain some weight. Today we are going to make some brownies but I am wondering if anyone out there has any ideas on boosting them up a little. I know sometimes with a cake mix they say to lessen the calories or fat or something, add apple sauce in place of the oil (to be honest I never listen to those less fat, less calorie ideas so they go in one ear and out the other).

Since baking is so precise, does anyone know if or what you can substitute for the water in the brownie mix or if you can add something to it before baking? Just a thought before baking later on today.

Thanks!

Liza

Thanks!

Liza

Thanks!

Liza

<br />
<br />Since baking is so precise, does anyone know if or what you can substitute for the water in the brownie mix or if you can add something to it before baking? Just a thought before baking later on today.
<br />
<br />Thanks!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The brownies I always make -- hershey's syrup ones already have a lot of calories -- can of hersheys syrup, eggs, butter... One thing you could probably add if you're using a mix is sprinkle chocolate chips in the batter. I know a cousin makes browies in which she puts symphony candy bars on top of the batter, then covers it with the rest of the batter. bakes it and frosts.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The brownies I always make -- hershey's syrup ones already have a lot of calories -- can of hersheys syrup, eggs, butter... One thing you could probably add if you're using a mix is sprinkle chocolate chips in the batter. I know a cousin makes browies in which she puts symphony candy bars on top of the batter, then covers it with the rest of the batter. bakes it and frosts.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Liza

Great idea on the chocolate bar on top! Believe it or not Rachel actually doesn't really like chocolate, but she will eat brownies. She loves the hershey's white chocolate bar though, I will ask her if she'd like to try that melted on top. Tonight I'm trying alfredo sauce from scratch with the brownies for desert. Only for her though, we'd weigh a ton with what I'm trying the calories I"m trying to pile in. Thanks!

Liza

Great idea on the chocolate bar on top! Believe it or not Rachel actually doesn't really like chocolate, but she will eat brownies. She loves the hershey's white chocolate bar though, I will ask her if she'd like to try that melted on top. Tonight I'm trying alfredo sauce from scratch with the brownies for desert. Only for her though, we'd weigh a ton with what I'm trying the calories I"m trying to pile in. Thanks!

Liza

Liza

Liza

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've been making lemon bars for ds lately. Real easy recipe -- 1 can of lemon pie filling, 4 eggs, 1 lemon cake mix. Mix together. Bake in 9 x 13 pan for about 30-35 minutes at 350. Frost with cream cheese frosting or regular powdered sugar frosting to which I've added lemon or lime juice.

A lady I work with gave me this recipe after DS ate about 3 of them at a fundraiser and she actually uses a jelly roll pan, but DS prefers bigger cakier bars. He's hit or miss with brownies, but does tend to like things that are more tart.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've been making lemon bars for ds lately. Real easy recipe -- 1 can of lemon pie filling, 4 eggs, 1 lemon cake mix. Mix together. Bake in 9 x 13 pan for about 30-35 minutes at 350. Frost with cream cheese frosting or regular powdered sugar frosting to which I've added lemon or lime juice.

A lady I work with gave me this recipe after DS ate about 3 of them at a fundraiser and she actually uses a jelly roll pan, but DS prefers bigger cakier bars. He's hit or miss with brownies, but does tend to like things that are more tart.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />A lady I work with gave me this recipe after DS ate about 3 of them at a fundraiser and she actually uses a jelly roll pan, but DS prefers bigger cakier bars. He's hit or miss with brownies, but does tend to like things that are more tart.