Bronch grew MRSA

M

mneville

Aidan's sputum culture showed MRSA. The doc wanted a pure sample and thought it was probably only in his sinuses as they are Aidan's biggest problem. Nope. Even though his lungs looked great, they cultured MRSA. Totally bummed.

He started on Bactrim but I wonder if we should hit it right away with IVs. He is scheduled for a port on Nov 6 to start IVs before his sinus surgery. Is that too long to wait?

The infectious disease doc said we did not need to be cultured b/c some of the treatments haven't been found to be effective in getting rid of it. I think I'd rather know if my husband and I have it and try the treatment so we don't just keep passing it back and forth.

I don't know what to expect. I know some who have no issues with MRSA and some who have tons. Is it really, really bad that it is indeed in his lungs? Thanks.

Megan

M

mneville

Aidan's sputum culture showed MRSA. The doc wanted a pure sample and thought it was probably only in his sinuses as they are Aidan's biggest problem. Nope. Even though his lungs looked great, they cultured MRSA. Totally bummed.

He started on Bactrim but I wonder if we should hit it right away with IVs. He is scheduled for a port on Nov 6 to start IVs before his sinus surgery. Is that too long to wait?

The infectious disease doc said we did not need to be cultured b/c some of the treatments haven't been found to be effective in getting rid of it. I think I'd rather know if my husband and I have it and try the treatment so we don't just keep passing it back and forth.

I don't know what to expect. I know some who have no issues with MRSA and some who have tons. Is it really, really bad that it is indeed in his lungs? Thanks.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />He started on Bactrim but I wonder if we should hit it right away with IVs. He is scheduled for a port on Nov 6 to start IVs before his sinus surgery. Is that too long to wait?
<br />
<br />The infectious disease doc said we did not need to be cultured b/c some of the treatments haven't been found to be effective in getting rid of it. I think I'd rather know if my husband and I have it and try the treatment so we don't just keep passing it back and forth.
<br />
<br />I don't know what to expect. I know some who have no issues with MRSA and some who have tons. Is it really, really bad that it is indeed in his lungs? Thanks.
<br />
<br />Megan

taraann

My son has cultured MRSA for a few years now. He has been on the IV Vancomycin, and its still very present. It is the only thing he ever cultures in sinuses and lungs. He is on Bactrim DS or Zyvox most of the time, but the MRSA doesnt seem to be going anywhere. Its very frustrating.

taraann

My son has cultured MRSA for a few years now. He has been on the IV Vancomycin, and its still very present. It is the only thing he ever cultures in sinuses and lungs. He is on Bactrim DS or Zyvox most of the time, but the MRSA doesnt seem to be going anywhere. Its very frustrating.

taraann

taraann

taraann

ginandbrea

Hi Megan,

Breanna has never had the bronch. Did you get the chance to look at the info I sent you on the Allicin & MRSA?

I know some feel that MRSA is nothing to be concerned about, but I know it's not a good thing and if I can get rid of it I will. The Bactrim will only treat the exacerbation, the Vanc and other Abx will sometimes eradicate the MRSA. I have been using the Allicin on Breanna and it has helped tremendously. Ususally she is on Bactrim DS every 4-6-8 weeks and so far we have had very positive results and no Abx since Aug 10.

Her CF Dr. is on maternity leave and our next clinic is scheduled for Mid Nov. so we will see what the culture looks like. The MRSA may still be there, but maybe less colonies.

ginandbrea

Hi Megan,

Breanna has never had the bronch. Did you get the chance to look at the info I sent you on the Allicin & MRSA?

I know some feel that MRSA is nothing to be concerned about, but I know it's not a good thing and if I can get rid of it I will. The Bactrim will only treat the exacerbation, the Vanc and other Abx will sometimes eradicate the MRSA. I have been using the Allicin on Breanna and it has helped tremendously. Ususally she is on Bactrim DS every 4-6-8 weeks and so far we have had very positive results and no Abx since Aug 10.

Her CF Dr. is on maternity leave and our next clinic is scheduled for Mid Nov. so we will see what the culture looks like. The MRSA may still be there, but maybe less colonies.

ginandbrea

Hi Megan,

ginandbrea

Hi Megan,

ginandbrea

Hi Megan,
<br />
<br />Breanna has never had the bronch. Did you get the chance to look at the info I sent you on the Allicin & MRSA?
<br />
<br />I know some feel that MRSA is nothing to be concerned about, but I know it's not a good thing and if I can get rid of it I will. The Bactrim will only treat the exacerbation, the Vanc and other Abx will sometimes eradicate the MRSA. I have been using the Allicin on Breanna and it has helped tremendously. Ususally she is on Bactrim DS every 4-6-8 weeks and so far we have had very positive results and no Abx since Aug 10.
<br />
<br />Her CF Dr. is on maternity leave and our next clinic is scheduled for Mid Nov. so we will see what the culture looks like. The MRSA may still be there, but maybe less colonies.

rcq925

Megan,

I am so sorry the MRSA was in the bronch! I was so hoping that it was only in his sinuses! I don't have any experience yet with MRSA, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you and Aidan. I think you made a very wise decision to go with the port! Please keep us updated on how Aidan is doing and how the port and sinus surgery go!!

rcq925

Megan,

I am so sorry the MRSA was in the bronch! I was so hoping that it was only in his sinuses! I don't have any experience yet with MRSA, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you and Aidan. I think you made a very wise decision to go with the port! Please keep us updated on how Aidan is doing and how the port and sinus surgery go!!

rcq925

Megan,

rcq925

Megan,

rcq925

Megan,
<br />
<br />I am so sorry the MRSA was in the bronch! I was so hoping that it was only in his sinuses! I don't have any experience yet with MRSA, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you and Aidan. I think you made a very wise decision to go with the port! Please keep us updated on how Aidan is doing and how the port and sinus surgery go!!
<br />
<br />