bronchoscopy culture sample

justdance

Hi,

For about a year now I have not cultured anything in my sputum samples so my consultant recommended a bronchoscopy to get a proper look and a deeper sample. When I met with him he said nothing had grown in that sample either. I thought this was good but he seemed more perplexed than anything, saying he wasn't sure it was a good thing; that it could be "hiding". I have cultured pseudomonas and aspergillus before and I understand that they will never really be gone.
Has anyone else had this experience? Or can anyone tell me their thoughts?

justdance

Hi,

For about a year now I have not cultured anything in my sputum samples so my consultant recommended a bronchoscopy to get a proper look and a deeper sample. When I met with him he said nothing had grown in that sample either. I thought this was good but he seemed more perplexed than anything, saying he wasn't sure it was a good thing; that it could be "hiding". I have cultured pseudomonas and aspergillus before and I understand that they will never really be gone.

justdance

Hi,

justdance

Hi,

justdance

Hi,
<br />
<br />For about a year now I have not cultured anything in my sputum samples so my consultant recommended a bronchoscopy to get a proper look and a deeper sample. When I met with him he said nothing had grown in that sample either. I thought this was good but he seemed more perplexed than anything, saying he wasn't sure it was a good thing; that it could be "hiding". I have cultured pseudomonas and aspergillus before and I understand that they will never really be gone.
<br />Has anyone else had this experience? Or can anyone tell me their thoughts?

BaylorCrew07

I haven't cultured anything in the last 5 years. My dr didn't do a bronch, but told me to go ahead and stop TOBI for now. If I start having symptoms or culure psuedo again at my next visit, they will put me on Cayston.

I'm kinda with you though, I'm sure there is SOMETHING there, perhaps hiding. I don't know...hopefully someone can shed some light on this

BaylorCrew07

I haven't cultured anything in the last 5 years. My dr didn't do a bronch, but told me to go ahead and stop TOBI for now. If I start having symptoms or culure psuedo again at my next visit, they will put me on Cayston.

I'm kinda with you though, I'm sure there is SOMETHING there, perhaps hiding. I don't know...hopefully someone can shed some light on this

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />I'm kinda with you though, I'm sure there is SOMETHING there, perhaps hiding. I don't know...hopefully someone can shed some light on this

Jana

The only time my sample from a bronch grew nothing was when I was on a lot of antibiotic at the time they did it. I'm guessing that wasn't the case for you since the doctor was trying to figure out what was growing.

Jana

The only time my sample from a bronch grew nothing was when I was on a lot of antibiotic at the time they did it. I'm guessing that wasn't the case for you since the doctor was trying to figure out what was growing.

Jana

Jana

Jana

justdance

Thanks for your responses! BaylorCrew07 I see you're a two-time marathon finisher! That's amazing, go you! I'm doing a 10k race this Sunday. I have done that distance before but this course has a few pretty major hills. Any tips for how you get yourself to peak before and during the run?

Jana- I was on my month off tobi so was taking neb colistin. I think he might be confused as my pft is only around 50% but I don't display any other symptoms, like I could feel great and have really good exercise capacity but that's been my pft for a while!

justdance

Thanks for your responses! BaylorCrew07 I see you're a two-time marathon finisher! That's amazing, go you! I'm doing a 10k race this Sunday. I have done that distance before but this course has a few pretty major hills. Any tips for how you get yourself to peak before and during the run?

Jana- I was on my month off tobi so was taking neb colistin. I think he might be confused as my pft is only around 50% but I don't display any other symptoms, like I could feel great and have really good exercise capacity but that's been my pft for a while!

justdance

justdance

justdance

<br />
<br />Jana- I was on my month off tobi so was taking neb colistin. I think he might be confused as my pft is only around 50% but I don't display any other symptoms, like I could feel great and have really good exercise capacity but that's been my pft for a while!