Can two people with cf date?

joyca23

I'm aware of the risks of dating a cf-er but I have to say, I did. We both knew the risks and that we could get sicker but like someone said before, if you love someone you just want to be with that person.
We've been together for almost three years and we both didn't got any sicker.
So I guess I can say that it is possible but you both have to know what risks you're taking and be willing to take them.

joyca23

I'm aware of the risks of dating a cf-er but I have to say, I did. We both knew the risks and that we could get sicker but like someone said before, if you love someone you just want to be with that person.
<br />We've been together for almost three years and we both didn't got any sicker.
<br />So I guess I can say that it is possible but you both have to know what risks you're taking and be willing to take them.

B

BreathinSteven

<P>Hey Dogsrule!</P>
<P>I think that we're people first - that we have cystic fibrosis is a big thing in our lives, but it doesn't take away from the fact that we're people first...  Yes - a guy with CF can date a girl with CF.  It's mentioned here that it wouldn't be prudent, and that's probably true.  But love and relationships very often are not prudent.</P>
<P>When we have cystic fibrosis, dating another person with cystic fibrosis can be rather attractive.  Because we share a common disease, we have SO MUCH in common.  We've gone through so many things in life that other people never have, and never will experience.  I would find it rather easy to fall in love with someone who has shared the same burdens, and the same joys, and who deals with the same struggles.</P>
<P>One thing that has to be a consideration, is that the life expectancy of both people simply isn't that great.  It can be difficult enough to wander into relationships where one person has a life threatening disease - it can be difficult for either party...  Now, you're looking at the possibility of BOTH parties in the relationship having life threatening diseases - there are an awful lot of complicating factors involved and having both of you with CF just doubles those complications.</P>
<P>If the relationship leads to marriage, and children are desired by one or both - that muddles things further...  CF Women have a difficult time conceiving and most often, men have the issue with the vas deferens not connected causing sterility, so natural conception might be difficult at best, and possibly impossible - and if a child were conceived between two CF patients, the child, by default, would be born with cystic fibrosis.  Some might consider that a less than responsible route to take...</P>
<P>And -- as everyone mentioned, there is the issues of sharing the bugs by which we're constantly infected...  When you pick up a bug from a friend, or a hospital visit - the likelihood of you passing it to your significant other is quite high.  But as was pointed out here, siblings and cousins and other relatives have the same issues and it's not like you can disown your family.  (Though, this is a "voluntary" relationship...)</P>
<P>And with all of the considerations I've mentioned, and all of those mentioned in this thread - love has a funny way of making none of it matter at all...  We CFers often have deep, caring relationships with other CFers - and it can only be expected that some of those relationships turn into love and dating and marriage.  But it's probably important that we go into this with our eyes open, and understand all of the probabilities and possibilities, and take all the precautions possible to keep each other healthy.</P>
<P>Love,  Steve</P>

B

BreathinSteven

<P>Hey Dogsrule!</P>
<P>I think that we're people first - that we have cystic fibrosis is a big thing in our lives, but it doesn't take away from the fact that we're people first... Yes - a guy with CF can date a girl with CF. It's mentioned here that it wouldn't be prudent, and that's probably true. But love and relationships very often are not prudent.</P>
<P>When we have cystic fibrosis, dating another person with cystic fibrosis can be rather attractive. Because we share a common disease, we have SO MUCH in common. We've gone through so many things in life that other people never have, and never will experience. I would find it rather easy to fall in love with someone who has shared the same burdens, and the same joys, and who deals with the same struggles.</P>
<P>One thing that has to be a consideration, is that the life expectancy of both people simply isn't that great. It can be difficult enough to wander into relationships where one person has a life threatening disease - it can be difficult for either party... Now, you're looking at the possibility of BOTH parties in the relationship having life threatening diseases - there are an awful lot of complicating factors involved and having both of you with CF just doubles those complications.</P>
<P>If the relationship leads to marriage, and children are desired by one or both - that muddles things further... CF Women have a difficult time conceiving and most often, men have the issue with the vas deferens not connected causing sterility, so natural conception might be difficult at best, and possibly impossible - and if a child were conceived between two CF patients, the child, by default, would be born with cystic fibrosis. Some might consider that a less than responsible route to take...</P>
<P>And -- as everyone mentioned, there is the issues of sharing the bugs by which we're constantly infected... When you pick up a bug from a friend, or a hospital visit - the likelihood of you passing it to your significant other is quite high. But as was pointed out here, siblings and cousins and other relatives have the same issues and it's not like you can disown your family. (Though, this is a "voluntary" relationship...)</P>
<P>And with all of the considerations I've mentioned, and all of those mentioned in this thread - love has a funny way of making none of it matter at all... We CFers often have deep, caring relationships with other CFers - and it can only be expected that some of those relationships turn into love and dating and marriage. But it's probably important that we go into this with our eyes open, and understand all of the probabilities and possibilities, and take all the precautions possible to keep each other healthy.</P>
<P>Love, Steve</P>

B

BreathinSteven

<P><BR>Hey Dogsrule!</P>
<P>I think that we're people first - that we have cystic fibrosis is a big thing in our lives, but it doesn't take away from the fact that we're people first... Yes - a guy with CF can date a girl with CF. It's mentioned here that it wouldn't be prudent, and that's probably true. But love and relationships very often are not prudent.</P>
<P>When we have cystic fibrosis, dating another person with cystic fibrosis can be rather attractive. Because we share a common disease, we have SO MUCH in common. We've gone through so many things in life that other people never have, and never will experience. I would find it rather easy to fall in love with someone who has shared the same burdens, and the same joys, and who deals with the same struggles.</P>
<P>One thing that has to be a consideration, is that the life expectancy of both people simply isn't that great. It can be difficult enough to wander into relationships where one person has a life threatening disease - it can be difficult for either party... Now, you're looking at the possibility of BOTH parties in the relationship having life threatening diseases - there are an awful lot of complicating factors involved and having both of you with CF just doubles those complications.</P>
<P>If the relationship leads to marriage, and children are desired by one or both - that muddles things further... CF Women have a difficult time conceiving and most often, men have the issue with the vas deferens not connected causing sterility, so natural conception might be difficult at best, and possibly impossible - and if a child were conceived between two CF patients, the child, by default, would be born with cystic fibrosis. Some might consider that a less than responsible route to take...</P>
<P><BR>And -- as everyone mentioned, there is the issues of sharing the bugs by which we're constantly infected... When you pick up a bug from a friend, or a hospital visit - the likelihood of you passing it to your significant other is quite high. But as was pointed out here, siblings and cousins and other relatives have the same issues and it's not like you can disown your family. (Though, this is a "voluntary" relationship...)</P>
<P><BR>And with all of the considerations I've mentioned, and all of those mentioned in this thread - love has a funny way of making none of it matter at all... We CFers often have deep, caring relationships with other CFers - and it can only be expected that some of those relationships turn into love and dating and marriage. But it's probably important that we go into this with our eyes open, and understand all of the probabilities and possibilities, and take all the precautions possible to keep each other healthy.</P>
<P>Love, Steve<BR></P>

ashrawrrr

Just to add something to this. My sister had CF since she was three and I found out recently I did this year, and we lived in the same house. I agree it shouldn't be but I know a true love story of my sister and fiance who met in Akron Children's and let me tell you that gave my sister the best six months of her life, finding someone that truely understood what it's like, god rest her soul. Sorry to say, she passed away two months before her wedding =[ And her fiance lost the will to live and died four years later. I miss them both terribly. But I'm finally glad they are together at last - CF Free.

ashrawrrr

Just to add something to this. My sister had CF since she was three and I found out recently I did this year, and we lived in the same house. I agree it shouldn't be but I know a true love story of my sister and fiance who met in Akron Children's and let me tell you that gave my sister the best six months of her life, finding someone that truely understood what it's like, god rest her soul. Sorry to say, she passed away two months before her wedding =[ And her fiance lost the will to live and died four years later. I miss them both terribly. But I'm finally glad they are together at last - CF Free.

ashrawrrr

<br />

dbsholes

I am 44 and dated a wonderful girl with cf when I was in my early twenties. We had a nice couple of years and then went our separate ways. Then she died. I know I caught pseudomonas A from her, but I don't regret it. I would regret it terribly if we hadn't spent that time together.

David Sholes
44 double df508 w/CFRD since '04

dbsholes

I am 44 and dated a wonderful girl with cf when I was in my early twenties. We had a nice couple of years and then went our separate ways. Then she died. I know I caught pseudomonas A from her, but I don't regret it. I would regret it terribly if we hadn't spent that time together.

David Sholes

dbsholes

David Sholes