Career Decisions

soderick

I am a senior in college and am now trying to find a career path. I have always planned on teaching--most of my family are teachers, and I always worked in classrooms or tutored in my spare time growing up--but now I'm not sure that's smart.

I'm doing fairly well right now. Fev1 hangs out around 60-63%, and I was hospitalized with my first episode of hemoptysis last spring. In the past three years, I've noticed a slowdown in my energy level, and I'm much more dependent on an 8-hour night of sleep than ever before. Still, I consider myself in good health, and I'm responsible about treatments, medications, sterilization of nebs, keeping a very dust- and mold-free home, etc.

One of my concerns is being exposed to the amount of germs and bacteria that live in a school. I grew up fully immersed in public school, and I never suffered abnormally from it. I live with my boyfriend's 5-year-old son, who is always getting all the colds that go through his school, and even when I'm constantly wiping his nose, holding him when he coughs, and sleeping with him when he has fevers, I VERY rarely catch any of those bugs. I'm careful about always getting flu shots for everyone in my family, as well. I assume this means my immune system is strong, but I also don't want to put it through too much stress.

My largest concern is the progression of the disease. I'm already doing 3 hours of treatments each day and using a feeding tube, on top of two or three tune-ups each year. I wonder how many healthy years I have left and whether or not it's smart to be getting into a career that will likely take such a physical toll. I definitely have the passion and work-ethic necessary for the job; my only concern is the physical end. I've already applied for a one-year Masters/Credential program next year, but I don't even find out if I'm accepted until March. I'd just like to research now so that I don't endure a very difficult and taxing year for a degree I'll never end up using.

I realize that every case is different, and that no two people experience the same progression of the disease. There's no way to know if I have 3 or 25 more good years before I'm unable to work. I'm just interested in absolutely ANY opinions anyone might have. I also realize that I should speak to my doctor about this. She's not the most approachable person (that's another story--I'm trying to switch adult CF clinics since I've been with this one for almost 2 years and am not happy with it), so I'd like to have some other knowledge and suggestions before breaching the subject.

Thank you!

soderick

I am a senior in college and am now trying to find a career path. I have always planned on teaching--most of my family are teachers, and I always worked in classrooms or tutored in my spare time growing up--but now I'm not sure that's smart.

I'm doing fairly well right now. Fev1 hangs out around 60-63%, and I was hospitalized with my first episode of hemoptysis last spring. In the past three years, I've noticed a slowdown in my energy level, and I'm much more dependent on an 8-hour night of sleep than ever before. Still, I consider myself in good health, and I'm responsible about treatments, medications, sterilization of nebs, keeping a very dust- and mold-free home, etc.

One of my concerns is being exposed to the amount of germs and bacteria that live in a school. I grew up fully immersed in public school, and I never suffered abnormally from it. I live with my boyfriend's 5-year-old son, who is always getting all the colds that go through his school, and even when I'm constantly wiping his nose, holding him when he coughs, and sleeping with him when he has fevers, I VERY rarely catch any of those bugs. I'm careful about always getting flu shots for everyone in my family, as well. I assume this means my immune system is strong, but I also don't want to put it through too much stress.

My largest concern is the progression of the disease. I'm already doing 3 hours of treatments each day and using a feeding tube, on top of two or three tune-ups each year. I wonder how many healthy years I have left and whether or not it's smart to be getting into a career that will likely take such a physical toll. I definitely have the passion and work-ethic necessary for the job; my only concern is the physical end. I've already applied for a one-year Masters/Credential program next year, but I don't even find out if I'm accepted until March. I'd just like to research now so that I don't endure a very difficult and taxing year for a degree I'll never end up using.

I realize that every case is different, and that no two people experience the same progression of the disease. There's no way to know if I have 3 or 25 more good years before I'm unable to work. I'm just interested in absolutely ANY opinions anyone might have. I also realize that I should speak to my doctor about this. She's not the most approachable person (that's another story--I'm trying to switch adult CF clinics since I've been with this one for almost 2 years and am not happy with it), so I'd like to have some other knowledge and suggestions before breaching the subject.

Thank you!

soderick

Thank you!

soderick

Thank you!

soderick

<br />
<br />I'm doing fairly well right now. Fev1 hangs out around 60-63%, and I was hospitalized with my first episode of hemoptysis last spring. In the past three years, I've noticed a slowdown in my energy level, and I'm much more dependent on an 8-hour night of sleep than ever before. Still, I consider myself in good health, and I'm responsible about treatments, medications, sterilization of nebs, keeping a very dust- and mold-free home, etc.
<br />
<br />One of my concerns is being exposed to the amount of germs and bacteria that live in a school. I grew up fully immersed in public school, and I never suffered abnormally from it. I live with my boyfriend's 5-year-old son, who is always getting all the colds that go through his school, and even when I'm constantly wiping his nose, holding him when he coughs, and sleeping with him when he has fevers, I VERY rarely catch any of those bugs. I'm careful about always getting flu shots for everyone in my family, as well. I assume this means my immune system is strong, but I also don't want to put it through too much stress.
<br />
<br />My largest concern is the progression of the disease. I'm already doing 3 hours of treatments each day and using a feeding tube, on top of two or three tune-ups each year. I wonder how many healthy years I have left and whether or not it's smart to be getting into a career that will likely take such a physical toll. I definitely have the passion and work-ethic necessary for the job; my only concern is the physical end. I've already applied for a one-year Masters/Credential program next year, but I don't even find out if I'm accepted until March. I'd just like to research now so that I don't endure a very difficult and taxing year for a degree I'll never end up using.
<br />
<br />I realize that every case is different, and that no two people experience the same progression of the disease. There's no way to know if I have 3 or 25 more good years before I'm unable to work. I'm just interested in absolutely ANY opinions anyone might have. I also realize that I should speak to my doctor about this. She's not the most approachable person (that's another story--I'm trying to switch adult CF clinics since I've been with this one for almost 2 years and am not happy with it), so I'd like to have some other knowledge and suggestions before breaching the subject.
<br />
<br />Thank you!

laulau555

i'm a senior in highschool and I am planning on going into teaching. I decided on highschool teaching because there is less exposure to germs that way (no little kids whiping their noses on their hands) as long as you were very strict about germ control, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc. I think it would be ok. I decided on teaching partly because I figured it would be a GOOD job for CF because there is christmas and summer vacations for rest and for antibiotics if needed. also, they are mostly 6 hour days and as for correcting papers they can be done in the comfort of your home. I also figured if I can handle going to school I can handle teaching at school, as far as the amount of hours go.

i think if you worry too much about the progression of the disease you would find fault with ANY job. you just have to work what you can for now and do what you can to stay healthy for now. I don't know if there's any job that would be easily maintained once your disease progresses.

So I say go for it!

laulau555

i'm a senior in highschool and I am planning on going into teaching. I decided on highschool teaching because there is less exposure to germs that way (no little kids whiping their noses on their hands) as long as you were very strict about germ control, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc. I think it would be ok. I decided on teaching partly because I figured it would be a GOOD job for CF because there is christmas and summer vacations for rest and for antibiotics if needed. also, they are mostly 6 hour days and as for correcting papers they can be done in the comfort of your home. I also figured if I can handle going to school I can handle teaching at school, as far as the amount of hours go.

i think if you worry too much about the progression of the disease you would find fault with ANY job. you just have to work what you can for now and do what you can to stay healthy for now. I don't know if there's any job that would be easily maintained once your disease progresses.

So I say go for it!

laulau555

So I say go for it!

laulau555

So I say go for it!

laulau555

<br />
<br />i think if you worry too much about the progression of the disease you would find fault with ANY job. you just have to work what you can for now and do what you can to stay healthy for now. I don't know if there's any job that would be easily maintained once your disease progresses.
<br />
<br />So I say go for it!

B

BeccaRN

This is just my 2 cents. I would not go into that field. I am a RN and I have CF. I went my entire childhood and adult years non dependant on nebs or meds of any kind. I was very lucky. I was 26 when I decided I was going to become a nurse. My first infection came in nursing school when I treated a isolation patient. One week after being in the room with that patient I was admitted to the hospital with a resistant pseudomonas. I got my first picc line and went back to class. I have had several pneumonias since then and my lung function is currently at 44%. My doctor told me plainly, if I didn't get out of nursing it was going to kill me. So I left the job I love so much. I have been on disability only a few months now, I have only been sick once, I have been out of work now for 2 years. Everytime I got around an isolation patient, I got the bug. Mrsa and psuedomonas everytime I was exposed. I am currently trying to get my fev up, will see when I go back this month. I was just in the hospital for 5 days, but am feeling a ton better. Don't know where I picked something up this time, just started feeling really tired, then all of a sudden, short of breath. I am dependant on my nebs now, by the evening, I am begging to get home to do my treatments. I loved my job though. I worked with pediatric patients. I really miss it too.

B

BeccaRN

This is just my 2 cents. I would not go into that field. I am a RN and I have CF. I went my entire childhood and adult years non dependant on nebs or meds of any kind. I was very lucky. I was 26 when I decided I was going to become a nurse. My first infection came in nursing school when I treated a isolation patient. One week after being in the room with that patient I was admitted to the hospital with a resistant pseudomonas. I got my first picc line and went back to class. I have had several pneumonias since then and my lung function is currently at 44%. My doctor told me plainly, if I didn't get out of nursing it was going to kill me. So I left the job I love so much. I have been on disability only a few months now, I have only been sick once, I have been out of work now for 2 years. Everytime I got around an isolation patient, I got the bug. Mrsa and psuedomonas everytime I was exposed. I am currently trying to get my fev up, will see when I go back this month. I was just in the hospital for 5 days, but am feeling a ton better. Don't know where I picked something up this time, just started feeling really tired, then all of a sudden, short of breath. I am dependant on my nebs now, by the evening, I am begging to get home to do my treatments. I loved my job though. I worked with pediatric patients. I really miss it too.

B

BeccaRN

B

BeccaRN

B

BeccaRN

65rosessamurai

There will be pros and cons to any field of work you get into.

I would suggest trying to come up with a list of pros and cons as a way to decide what fits your situation.

The medical field is actually very plainly dangerous when dealing in direct contact with those who are infected with bugs that are harder on our system. HOwever, if you are able to take that and go into an administration type of job, there would be less contact with those who are ill, and it would be more contact with other docs and nurses, etc.

Pharmaceuticals? Perhaps, since its mostly dishing out the meds needed, and you can be quite a bit of a distance from those who are receiving the meds (like my Pharmacist seemed to do when I got my Rx filled).

Teachers? Perhaps in HS, that would cut down on the runny noses, but no guarantee if a flu epidemic hits. If you decide teaching, one suggestion would be to go into a slightly specialized area, such as the Sciences. With having a specialty as a background, perhaps being able to go into a different line of work with that would prove useful as a "backup plan". Though it may mean taking more schooling, or it may mean having to work at a real company.

Because (either of you) didn't mention what you were going to teach, its difficult to give more suggestions.
However, going into a field in which you would thouroughly enjoy doing is the key to a "career". I would suggest engineering, though. Computer, electronics or even mechanical. Though these areas need more research, I can already tell you that the Computer and Electronics fields will have much cleaner environments.

If a second language was something you already aquired, HS or college level foreign language, or even work as a freelance translator would be an option. The freelance would likely be a "work-at-home" environment, which would give more pros to dealing with health issues.

As a CF'r who's seen from A to Z in the work field (worked at Avis Rent a Car, and the Zuccini display at a fruit market, LOL), I have had a fair amount of experience in job searching and different fields, some of which were hard work.

I hope I have given enough of my opinion, based on experience, to help guide you towards your decision.

65rosessamurai

I would suggest trying to come up with a list of pros and cons as a way to decide what fits your situation.

The medical field is actually very plainly dangerous when dealing in direct contact with those who are infected with bugs that are harder on our system. HOwever, if you are able to take that and go into an administration type of job, there would be less contact with those who are ill, and it would be more contact with other docs and nurses, etc.

Pharmaceuticals? Perhaps, since its mostly dishing out the meds needed, and you can be quite a bit of a distance from those who are receiving the meds (like my Pharmacist seemed to do when I got my Rx filled).

Teachers? Perhaps in HS, that would cut down on the runny noses, but no guarantee if a flu epidemic hits. If you decide teaching, one suggestion would be to go into a slightly specialized area, such as the Sciences. With having a specialty as a background, perhaps being able to go into a different line of work with that would prove useful as a "backup plan". Though it may mean taking more schooling, or it may mean having to work at a real company.

Because (either of you) didn't mention what you were going to teach, its difficult to give more suggestions.
However, going into a field in which you would thouroughly enjoy doing is the key to a "career". I would suggest engineering, though. Computer, electronics or even mechanical. Though these areas need more research, I can already tell you that the Computer and Electronics fields will have much cleaner environments.

If a second language was something you already aquired, HS or college level foreign language, or even work as a freelance translator would be an option. The freelance would likely be a "work-at-home" environment, which would give more pros to dealing with health issues.

As a CF'r who's seen from A to Z in the work field (worked at Avis Rent a Car, and the Zuccini display at a fruit market, LOL), I have had a fair amount of experience in job searching and different fields, some of which were hard work.

I hope I have given enough of my opinion, based on experience, to help guide you towards your decision.

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

<br />
<br />I would suggest trying to come up with a list of pros and cons as a way to decide what fits your situation.
<br />
<br />The medical field is actually very plainly dangerous when dealing in direct contact with those who are infected with bugs that are harder on our system. HOwever, if you are able to take that and go into an administration type of job, there would be less contact with those who are ill, and it would be more contact with other docs and nurses, etc.
<br />
<br />Pharmaceuticals? Perhaps, since its mostly dishing out the meds needed, and you can be quite a bit of a distance from those who are receiving the meds (like my Pharmacist seemed to do when I got my Rx filled).
<br />
<br />Teachers? Perhaps in HS, that would cut down on the runny noses, but no guarantee if a flu epidemic hits. If you decide teaching, one suggestion would be to go into a slightly specialized area, such as the Sciences. With having a specialty as a background, perhaps being able to go into a different line of work with that would prove useful as a "backup plan". Though it may mean taking more schooling, or it may mean having to work at a real company.
<br />
<br />Because (either of you) didn't mention what you were going to teach, its difficult to give more suggestions.
<br />However, going into a field in which you would thouroughly enjoy doing is the key to a "career". I would suggest engineering, though. Computer, electronics or even mechanical. Though these areas need more research, I can already tell you that the Computer and Electronics fields will have much cleaner environments.
<br />
<br />If a second language was something you already aquired, HS or college level foreign language, or even work as a freelance translator would be an option. The freelance would likely be a "work-at-home" environment, which would give more pros to dealing with health issues.
<br />
<br />As a CF'r who's seen from A to Z in the work field (worked at Avis Rent a Car, and the Zuccini display at a fruit market, LOL), I have had a fair amount of experience in job searching and different fields, some of which were hard work.
<br />
<br />I hope I have given enough of my opinion, based on experience, to help guide you towards your decision.