cf and bed wetting/frequent urination

truckin4tucker

Just a quick question for the parents of CF kids. Tucker is 6 1/2 and still wets the bed at night. I believe we have tried everything under the sun to help this situation, such as limiting his fluids after a certain time of night, waking him up in the night to go, putting him to bed without a pull up on, etc. But unfortunately thus far, nothing has worked. He had his tonsils and adenoids taken out about a year ago. The docs were hoping maybe this was contributing to the problem. But, he hasn't been dry but one night since having these out.

I guess my question is, is there a correlation between CF and bedwetting? Most likely not, but thought I would ask. A couple of months ago, I also noticed he was peeing A LOT throughout the day, more than normal. I took him in to see his regular pediatrician and he felt it was a behavioral thing. They did check his urine, but said it came back ok. They asked if we wanted to do a fasting blood glucose check on him, and at the time I said no, but now I am reconsidering. I don't know. . . maybe I am just being one of those overreactive parents, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. The doc asked if me or my husband wet the bed when we were older, thinking it was a hereditary thing, but neither of us or our siblings had troubles like this.

Sorry to ramble on, but as you can tell, I feel bad for him and he is beginning to get embarassed by this. Any input from anyone out there would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening!

truckin4tucker

Just a quick question for the parents of CF kids. Tucker is 6 1/2 and still wets the bed at night. I believe we have tried everything under the sun to help this situation, such as limiting his fluids after a certain time of night, waking him up in the night to go, putting him to bed without a pull up on, etc. But unfortunately thus far, nothing has worked. He had his tonsils and adenoids taken out about a year ago. The docs were hoping maybe this was contributing to the problem. But, he hasn't been dry but one night since having these out.

I guess my question is, is there a correlation between CF and bedwetting? Most likely not, but thought I would ask. A couple of months ago, I also noticed he was peeing A LOT throughout the day, more than normal. I took him in to see his regular pediatrician and he felt it was a behavioral thing. They did check his urine, but said it came back ok. They asked if we wanted to do a fasting blood glucose check on him, and at the time I said no, but now I am reconsidering. I don't know. . . maybe I am just being one of those overreactive parents, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. The doc asked if me or my husband wet the bed when we were older, thinking it was a hereditary thing, but neither of us or our siblings had troubles like this.

Sorry to ramble on, but as you can tell, I feel bad for him and he is beginning to get embarassed by this. Any input from anyone out there would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening!

truckin4tucker

truckin4tucker

truckin4tucker

pnhuffman

I know exactly how you feel. I had Austin to the doctor too for this problem. We did the urine test and it was good. No infections either.

We also did a sleep study. To see how he does during the night. We have an appointment in Sept with the sleep clinic doctor to go over the results and to see what his suggestions are.

He still wears pull-ups to bed. And he would soak those and sometimes it would go straight through them He has probably only had about 3 dry nights in his 7 years.

So your child is not alone.

I too questioned whether it was related to CF or not. If I find something out i will be sure to let you know.

pnhuffman

I know exactly how you feel. I had Austin to the doctor too for this problem. We did the urine test and it was good. No infections either.

We also did a sleep study. To see how he does during the night. We have an appointment in Sept with the sleep clinic doctor to go over the results and to see what his suggestions are.

He still wears pull-ups to bed. And he would soak those and sometimes it would go straight through them He has probably only had about 3 dry nights in his 7 years.

I too questioned whether it was related to CF or not. If I find something out i will be sure to let you know.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

<br />
<br />We also did a sleep study. To see how he does during the night. We have an appointment in Sept with the sleep clinic doctor to go over the results and to see what his suggestions are.
<br />
<br />He still wears pull-ups to bed. And he would soak those and sometimes it would go straight through them He has probably only had about 3 dry nights in his 7 years.
<br />
<br />So your child is not alone.
<br />
<br />I too questioned whether it was related to CF or not. If I find something out i will be sure to let you know.
<br />

truckin4tucker

Paula,
Thanks for the quick reply. Now I don't feel so alone! Like AUstin, Tucker soaks . . .and I mean soaks his pull up each and every night. Apparently sometime in the night he gets up and takes off the soaked pull up and then goes back to sleep and proceeds to soak the bed. I feel so bad for him. My husband gets after him about this sometimes, and it bothers me because I know Tucker tries hard each and every night to stay dry. As I said earlier, thanks for the reply.

truckin4tucker

Paula,
Thanks for the quick reply. Now I don't feel so alone! Like AUstin, Tucker soaks . . .and I mean soaks his pull up each and every night. Apparently sometime in the night he gets up and takes off the soaked pull up and then goes back to sleep and proceeds to soak the bed. I feel so bad for him. My husband gets after him about this sometimes, and it bothers me because I know Tucker tries hard each and every night to stay dry. As I said earlier, thanks for the reply.

truckin4tucker

Paula,

truckin4tucker

Paula,

truckin4tucker

Paula,

pnhuffman

Austin did try to sleep without a pull up but he was so wet when he woke up and so was the bed. I would rather him wear the pull ups than have to change all the bedding and stuff everynight.

I feel bad for them also. I have never gotten on him for it. I don't want him to be ashamed of himself. He has enough to deal with. I hate it though when he climbs in bed with us and soaks through.

I am anxious to hear what the doctor says. Hopefully if it is something they think he will out grow. i hope its sooner than later.

pnhuffman

Austin did try to sleep without a pull up but he was so wet when he woke up and so was the bed. I would rather him wear the pull ups than have to change all the bedding and stuff everynight.

I feel bad for them also. I have never gotten on him for it. I don't want him to be ashamed of himself. He has enough to deal with. I hate it though when he climbs in bed with us and soaks through.

I am anxious to hear what the doctor says. Hopefully if it is something they think he will out grow. i hope its sooner than later.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

<br />
<br />I feel bad for them also. I have never gotten on him for it. I don't want him to be ashamed of himself. He has enough to deal with. I hate it though when he climbs in bed with us and soaks through.
<br />
<br />I am anxious to hear what the doctor says. Hopefully if it is something they think he will out grow. i hope its sooner than later.