Cf and Celiac??

dlo2977

My almost 3 year daughter was diagnosed with CF a couple weeks ago based on a positive sweat test. Her only symptoms that prompted the test were yellow stool and occasional ( maybe 5-10 times ever) grease in the toilet. No diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, bloating etc. No resp symtpoms. She is small (5% percentile) but has gained weight steadily and is not thin. I have accepted the diagnosis but today i got a call from the gastroenterologist that her antibody titer was high for celiac disease. Does anyone have a child with both?? Isn't is weird that she is so seemingly healthy if she does indeed have 2 malabsorption diseases. Prior to diagnosis and even now, I have seen no correlation at all to gluten in her diet. Her stool is better on the creon and she is still eating tons of gluten. I have done some reading that celiac disease can cause a false positive sweat test. Has anyone heard of this or vice versa that her celeiac titer could be high due to the CF??

She is getting gene testing done next month and will prob get endoscopy now to address the celiac. I'm not trying to be in denial, but it just doesn't seem to fit....

dlo2977

My almost 3 year daughter was diagnosed with CF a couple weeks ago based on a positive sweat test. Her only symptoms that prompted the test were yellow stool and occasional ( maybe 5-10 times ever) grease in the toilet. No diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, bloating etc. No resp symtpoms. She is small (5% percentile) but has gained weight steadily and is not thin. I have accepted the diagnosis but today i got a call from the gastroenterologist that her antibody titer was high for celiac disease. Does anyone have a child with both?? Isn't is weird that she is so seemingly healthy if she does indeed have 2 malabsorption diseases. Prior to diagnosis and even now, I have seen no correlation at all to gluten in her diet. Her stool is better on the creon and she is still eating tons of gluten. I have done some reading that celiac disease can cause a false positive sweat test. Has anyone heard of this or vice versa that her celeiac titer could be high due to the CF??

She is getting gene testing done next month and will prob get endoscopy now to address the celiac. I'm not trying to be in denial, but it just doesn't seem to fit....

dlo2977

dlo2977

dlo2977

<br />
<br />She is getting gene testing done next month and will prob get endoscopy now to address the celiac. I'm not trying to be in denial, but it just doesn't seem to fit....

MOME2RT

I have a dear friend whos daughter has CF. She ws tested for Celiac for similar symptoms you described. Since Celiac is heritary the mother was tested & turns out she does have it. (not the cfer) If you want more info I can PM you her info.

MOME2RT

I have a dear friend whos daughter has CF. She ws tested for Celiac for similar symptoms you described. Since Celiac is heritary the mother was tested & turns out she does have it. (not the cfer) If you want more info I can PM you her info.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

M

Mommafirst

My daughter was tested for celiac's about a year and a half after her CF diagnosis. We have a genetic CF diagnosis and she also carries the gene for celiac's. She does not have active celiacs, but we were told it is something that could develop as she ages. Apparently there are a higher percentage of celiac patients in the CF population than in the regular population. They didn't really know why, and it isn't a huge difference. It is possibly only because CF kids are more closely watched and thus tested.

but to answer your question, yes shoe could have a co-occurace of both.

M

Mommafirst

My daughter was tested for celiac's about a year and a half after her CF diagnosis. We have a genetic CF diagnosis and she also carries the gene for celiac's. She does not have active celiacs, but we were told it is something that could develop as she ages. Apparently there are a higher percentage of celiac patients in the CF population than in the regular population. They didn't really know why, and it isn't a huge difference. It is possibly only because CF kids are more closely watched and thus tested.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />but to answer your question, yes shoe could have a co-occurace of both.