Cf and Transplants

pnhuffman

Ok I don't know if this is the right time to bring this up or not. But I have been curious. When you get a lung transplant does your Cf go away or what? How does Cf affect the rest of your body? Do you just not have Cf in your lungs anymore? Do you still do treatments? Do you still take enzymes? Does Cf eventually go after your new lungs?

Sorry I was just curious to these questions and thought who else better can answer them for me but you guys.

pnhuffman

Ok I don't know if this is the right time to bring this up or not. But I have been curious. When you get a lung transplant does your Cf go away or what? How does Cf affect the rest of your body? Do you just not have Cf in your lungs anymore? Do you still do treatments? Do you still take enzymes? Does Cf eventually go after your new lungs?

Sorry I was just curious to these questions and thought who else better can answer them for me but you guys.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

<br />
<br />Sorry I was just curious to these questions and thought who else better can answer them for me but you guys.

Skye

Paula.....this is a good question. CF does not go away after a transplant. The genetic make up of all of the other parts of the body that are affected is still the same (liver, upper respiratory and nasal passages, pancrease etc.); however, new lungs have the genetic make up of the donor. So those lungs are "normal". "Normal" transplanted lungs though are different than just a typical person in that you take medication to prevent rejection and lung transplants are still one of the riskiest transplant procedures.

So while your lungs are no longer affected by CF, docs often describe it as trading in CF lungs for some different medical issues that arise from having a transplant. Though usually a more manageable set of problems when a person is at the point of needing a transplant.

That was a short answer to a complicated question. Hope that helps.

Skye

Paula.....this is a good question. CF does not go away after a transplant. The genetic make up of all of the other parts of the body that are affected is still the same (liver, upper respiratory and nasal passages, pancrease etc.); however, new lungs have the genetic make up of the donor. So those lungs are "normal". "Normal" transplanted lungs though are different than just a typical person in that you take medication to prevent rejection and lung transplants are still one of the riskiest transplant procedures.

So while your lungs are no longer affected by CF, docs often describe it as trading in CF lungs for some different medical issues that arise from having a transplant. Though usually a more manageable set of problems when a person is at the point of needing a transplant.

Skye

Skye

Skye

<br />
<br />So while your lungs are no longer affected by CF, docs often describe it as trading in CF lungs for some different medical issues that arise from having a transplant. Though usually a more manageable set of problems when a person is at the point of needing a transplant.
<br />
<br />That was a short answer to a complicated question. Hope that helps.

Liza

No. CF does not go away after transplant. CF is no longer present in the lungs after transplant because they are new CF free lungs. A CF'er who has had a transplant does still have CF in the rest of the body though. CF does not invade your new lungs.

Liza

No. CF does not go away after transplant. CF is no longer present in the lungs after transplant because they are new CF free lungs. A CF'er who has had a transplant does still have CF in the rest of the body though. CF does not invade your new lungs.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />

JazzysMom

I know its rather hard to grasp that lungs inside of you with your blood flowing through wont have CF, but the cells that the lungs are actually made from are from different DNA hence the need for anti-rejection meds.

Amazing isnt it?????!!!!

JazzysMom

I know its rather hard to grasp that lungs inside of you with your blood flowing through wont have CF, but the cells that the lungs are actually made from are from different DNA hence the need for anti-rejection meds.

Amazing isnt it?????!!!!

JazzysMom

Amazing isnt it?????!!!!

JazzysMom

Amazing isnt it?????!!!!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Amazing isnt it?????!!!!
<br />