CF Centers

ctalbott0609

I just recently learned that CFF.org keeps a database of the Stats of CF Centers. I checked out our Center, and I realize that the Stats can't be accurate, and that there are always circumstances to be taken into consideration, but to be honest, I wasn't so happy with what I saw. Dr. Blacks' clinic is, in my opinion, not as good as I would expect a CF pediatric clinic to be.

I checked the stats of the other 3 centers in our State, and was far more impressed with the others. The best one happens to be in Columbia, under the direction of Dr. Konig. Their stats either meet, or come pretty close to meeting the national Goal for care, whereas most of Dr. Blacks stats are pretty normal, but his stats for care in Children are terrible. They're 47.1 where the national average is 68.2 and the National Goal is 90.

I'm kinda torn now. I want the best care for my daughter. Do I stick with Dr. Black, or should I explore this other clinic? We've only met Dr. Black once. We've been to his office twice now, and realized that he doesn't meet with his patients unless it's needed. I also don't like the fact that we aren't being proactive about Paige's care. I realize that this relationship is still very new, and that each case is different, and that we haven't had time to establish anything, but still. Shouldn't we hit the ground running, instead of learning to walk here?

So, what should I do? How many of you are patients of Dr. Black, and how many are patients of Dr. Konig? What do you all, who are far more experienced then I am, recommend here??

ctalbott0609

I just recently learned that CFF.org keeps a database of the Stats of CF Centers. I checked out our Center, and I realize that the Stats can't be accurate, and that there are always circumstances to be taken into consideration, but to be honest, I wasn't so happy with what I saw. Dr. Blacks' clinic is, in my opinion, not as good as I would expect a CF pediatric clinic to be.

I checked the stats of the other 3 centers in our State, and was far more impressed with the others. The best one happens to be in Columbia, under the direction of Dr. Konig. Their stats either meet, or come pretty close to meeting the national Goal for care, whereas most of Dr. Blacks stats are pretty normal, but his stats for care in Children are terrible. They're 47.1 where the national average is 68.2 and the National Goal is 90.

I'm kinda torn now. I want the best care for my daughter. Do I stick with Dr. Black, or should I explore this other clinic? We've only met Dr. Black once. We've been to his office twice now, and realized that he doesn't meet with his patients unless it's needed. I also don't like the fact that we aren't being proactive about Paige's care. I realize that this relationship is still very new, and that each case is different, and that we haven't had time to establish anything, but still. Shouldn't we hit the ground running, instead of learning to walk here?

So, what should I do? How many of you are patients of Dr. Black, and how many are patients of Dr. Konig? What do you all, who are far more experienced then I am, recommend here??

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

<br />
<br />I checked the stats of the other 3 centers in our State, and was far more impressed with the others. The best one happens to be in Columbia, under the direction of Dr. Konig. Their stats either meet, or come pretty close to meeting the national Goal for care, whereas most of Dr. Blacks stats are pretty normal, but his stats for care in Children are terrible. They're 47.1 where the national average is 68.2 and the National Goal is 90.
<br />
<br />I'm kinda torn now. I want the best care for my daughter. Do I stick with Dr. Black, or should I explore this other clinic? We've only met Dr. Black once. We've been to his office twice now, and realized that he doesn't meet with his patients unless it's needed. I also don't like the fact that we aren't being proactive about Paige's care. I realize that this relationship is still very new, and that each case is different, and that we haven't had time to establish anything, but still. Shouldn't we hit the ground running, instead of learning to walk here?
<br />
<br />So, what should I do? How many of you are patients of Dr. Black, and how many are patients of Dr. Konig? What do you all, who are far more experienced then I am, recommend here??

M

Mommafirst

I'm in Akron Ohio. We have a good deal of options around here. Cleveland and Columbus both have awesome centers. Akron is a bit newer and their numbers are ok, but I'm staying here for now. Our center has be very transparent with these numbers....sharing them with everyone on education day and also sharing them regularly with the family members on the advisory council (I'm a member). They are constantly finding was to improve these numbers, to make themselves better and their numbers have improved in just the three years since the CFF began publishing them.

Keep in mind which numbers you are looking at and the community in which your center is. Some centers have horrible rates for percentage that comes to at least 4 visits per year or some other numbers. These aren't always related to how good the center or the doctor is. These numbers can be skewed in a lot of ways. One example I have is that our clinic has a high percentage of Amish CFer who don't have the ability to get to clinic 4 times a year, so something like that can lower that statistic.

But overall, the numbers are meaningful but you can really use stats in any way you want. I find it much more important to see a center taking accountability and always trying to improve.

M

Mommafirst

I'm in Akron Ohio. We have a good deal of options around here. Cleveland and Columbus both have awesome centers. Akron is a bit newer and their numbers are ok, but I'm staying here for now. Our center has be very transparent with these numbers....sharing them with everyone on education day and also sharing them regularly with the family members on the advisory council (I'm a member). They are constantly finding was to improve these numbers, to make themselves better and their numbers have improved in just the three years since the CFF began publishing them.

Keep in mind which numbers you are looking at and the community in which your center is. Some centers have horrible rates for percentage that comes to at least 4 visits per year or some other numbers. These aren't always related to how good the center or the doctor is. These numbers can be skewed in a lot of ways. One example I have is that our clinic has a high percentage of Amish CFer who don't have the ability to get to clinic 4 times a year, so something like that can lower that statistic.

But overall, the numbers are meaningful but you can really use stats in any way you want. I find it much more important to see a center taking accountability and always trying to improve.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Keep in mind which numbers you are looking at and the community in which your center is. Some centers have horrible rates for percentage that comes to at least 4 visits per year or some other numbers. These aren't always related to how good the center or the doctor is. These numbers can be skewed in a lot of ways. One example I have is that our clinic has a high percentage of Amish CFer who don't have the ability to get to clinic 4 times a year, so something like that can lower that statistic.
<br />
<br />But overall, the numbers are meaningful but you can really use stats in any way you want. I find it much more important to see a center taking accountability and always trying to improve.

jbrandonAW

It doesn't hurt to check out the other clinic. It sounds as if you were already having issues with the clinic you are going too.

I would though talk to your current clinic about the numbers. Maybe you can find a way to get involved and help them improve there numbers

jbrandonAW

It doesn't hurt to check out the other clinic. It sounds as if you were already having issues with the clinic you are going too.

I would though talk to your current clinic about the numbers. Maybe you can find a way to get involved and help them improve there numbers

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I would though talk to your current clinic about the numbers. Maybe you can find a way to get involved and help them improve there numbers