CF Doc. gives negative survival rate for 9 yr. old,Do I get second opinion??

Nightwriter

Nora,

I am so happy to hear that you are taking the bull by the horns -- ripping up the carpet and laying the tile by yourself --Wow! I love that everybody here is rooting for you and posting such positive things.

Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean, you can clean just with Vinegar, Baking Soda, and water. Otherwise there are products like "Seventh Generation" or "Planet" that are unscented.

And don't get discouraged if it takes a bit of time to see results. Just stay with the program and you will see improvements.

One more thing: I know that a major source of exacerbations are colds. I can't recommend anything for a child, but I will tell you what I do to prevent colds (it really works for me) -- maybe you can find out if there are kid versions and check with your doctor to see if it's okay.

At the first sign of a cold (scratchy throat)
Nasal Rinse every 4 hours or so --Kids can do this
Airborne (I think it's for ages 12 plus) or generic brand
Zinc lozenges 15 - 20 mgs every 3 or 4 hours--I believe there's a kid version
Zycam -- there is a kid version (zinc for the nose) Kid version uses gentle Qtips
Freshly grated ginger tea to thin mucus and stop cough.

Symptoms ususally go away in a day, but if not, you feel symptoms slightly without the stuffy nose.
Continue a couple of days after symptoms are gone.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Nightwriter

Nora,

I am so happy to hear that you are taking the bull by the horns -- ripping up the carpet and laying the tile by yourself --Wow! I love that everybody here is rooting for you and posting such positive things.

Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean, you can clean just with Vinegar, Baking Soda, and water. Otherwise there are products like "Seventh Generation" or "Planet" that are unscented.

And don't get discouraged if it takes a bit of time to see results. Just stay with the program and you will see improvements.

One more thing: I know that a major source of exacerbations are colds. I can't recommend anything for a child, but I will tell you what I do to prevent colds (it really works for me) -- maybe you can find out if there are kid versions and check with your doctor to see if it's okay.

Zycam -- there is a kid version (zinc for the nose) Kid version uses gentle Qtips

Symptoms ususally go away in a day, but if not, you feel symptoms slightly without the stuffy nose.

Nightwriter

Nora,

Nightwriter

Nora,

Nightwriter

Nora,
<br />
<br />I am so happy to hear that you are taking the bull by the horns -- ripping up the carpet and laying the tile by yourself --Wow! I love that everybody here is rooting for you and posting such positive things.
<br />
<br />Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean, you can clean just with Vinegar, Baking Soda, and water. Otherwise there are products like "Seventh Generation" or "Planet" that are unscented.
<br />
<br />And don't get discouraged if it takes a bit of time to see results. Just stay with the program and you will see improvements.
<br />
<br />One more thing: I know that a major source of exacerbations are colds. I can't recommend anything for a child, but I will tell you what I do to prevent colds (it really works for me) -- maybe you can find out if there are kid versions and check with your doctor to see if it's okay.
<br />
<br />At the first sign of a cold (scratchy throat)
<br />Nasal Rinse every 4 hours or so --Kids can do this
<br />Airborne (I think it's for ages 12 plus) or generic brand
<br />Zinc lozenges 15 - 20 mgs every 3 or 4 hours--I believe there's a kid version
<br />Zycam -- there is a kid version (zinc for the nose) Kid version uses gentle Qtips
<br />Freshly grated ginger tea to thin mucus and stop cough.
<br />
<br />Symptoms ususally go away in a day, but if not, you feel symptoms slightly without the stuffy nose.
<br />Continue a couple of days after symptoms are gone.
<br />
<br />Feel free to ask any questions.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

R

rarab43

Nora- we are from Alabama. My son is 23 and so now he goes to UAB. Would you mind telling me who the dr at Childrens was? You can private message if you want. I have never felt that my sons numbers are indicative of how he really is. He also has asthma components and has always been treated for it off and on. Im not sure he ever blows correctly. Praying for you and your daughter. Susan

R

rarab43

Nora- we are from Alabama. My son is 23 and so now he goes to UAB. Would you mind telling me who the dr at Childrens was? You can private message if you want. I have never felt that my sons numbers are indicative of how he really is. He also has asthma components and has always been treated for it off and on. Im not sure he ever blows correctly. Praying for you and your daughter. Susan

R

rarab43

R

rarab43

R

rarab43

katlynnsmom

Hello,
The Dr. that gave me a survival rate of 3 to 5 years was in Birmingham Childrens Hospital...Dr. Hoover and I was told by her Ped. here that her reg. Cf Dr. was given him the rate of 6 to 8 months.But I have decided to go with my own mothers natural gut feelings and to forget what they say and just do what I have been doing for years....trying her on these new med's and taking her out of school is a start...she seems to being doing well...ox. levels have been in the high 90's. Have not been like that in awhile. And she has so much energy and eating well..
Thanks and stay well,
Nora

katlynnsmom

Hello,
The Dr. that gave me a survival rate of 3 to 5 years was in Birmingham Childrens Hospital...Dr. Hoover and I was told by her Ped. here that her reg. Cf Dr. was given him the rate of 6 to 8 months.But I have decided to go with my own mothers natural gut feelings and to forget what they say and just do what I have been doing for years....trying her on these new med's and taking her out of school is a start...she seems to being doing well...ox. levels have been in the high 90's. Have not been like that in awhile. And she has so much energy and eating well..
Thanks and stay well,
Nora

katlynnsmom

Hello,
Thanks and stay well,
Nora

katlynnsmom

Hello,
Thanks and stay well,
Nora

katlynnsmom

Hello,
<br /> The Dr. that gave me a survival rate of 3 to 5 years was in Birmingham Childrens Hospital...Dr. Hoover and I was told by her Ped. here that her reg. Cf Dr. was given him the rate of 6 to 8 months.But I have decided to go with my own mothers natural gut feelings and to forget what they say and just do what I have been doing for years....trying her on these new med's and taking her out of school is a start...she seems to being doing well...ox. levels have been in the high 90's. Have not been like that in awhile. And she has so much energy and eating well..
<br /> Thanks and stay well,
<br /> Nora