CF docs in North Carolina?

allie5

We live in Durham but take our daughter to UNC for her care. I don't know anything about the adult care there but I just thought I would mention the time it would take to get to UNC from Durham is not long at all. You mentioned that you were going to Duke first since you would be living in Durham and going to college there but Chapel Hill is only a couple minutes away depending on where you live.

I know so many people (including myself) that do not like going to Duke for any reason. They make things way too difficult and I've never really talked to anyone friendly that works there.

Good luck! You are going to love living here in NC.

Amy

allie5

We live in Durham but take our daughter to UNC for her care. I don't know anything about the adult care there but I just thought I would mention the time it would take to get to UNC from Durham is not long at all. You mentioned that you were going to Duke first since you would be living in Durham and going to college there but Chapel Hill is only a couple minutes away depending on where you live.

I know so many people (including myself) that do not like going to Duke for any reason. They make things way too difficult and I've never really talked to anyone friendly that works there.

Amy

allie5

Amy

allie5

Amy

allie5

<br />
<br />I know so many people (including myself) that do not like going to Duke for any reason. They make things way too difficult and I've never really talked to anyone friendly that works there.
<br />
<br />Good luck! You are going to love living here in NC.
<br />
<br />Amy

T

TonyaH

We LOVE LOVE LOVE UNC!!!

My son is seen in the peds clinic, but we are so impressed with everything about that hospital. We moved to NC from Michigan a year and a half ago and finding UNC has been the best thing about our move. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

We LOVE LOVE LOVE UNC!!!

My son is seen in the peds clinic, but we are so impressed with everything about that hospital. We moved to NC from Michigan a year and a half ago and finding UNC has been the best thing about our move. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

We LOVE LOVE LOVE UNC!!!

T

TonyaH

We LOVE LOVE LOVE UNC!!!

T

TonyaH

We LOVE LOVE LOVE UNC!!!
<br />
<br />My son is seen in the peds clinic, but we are so impressed with everything about that hospital. We moved to NC from Michigan a year and a half ago and finding UNC has been the best thing about our move. Good luck!

catboogie

Darn! There was a really good post about this a while back and I tried searching but couldn't find it. It was basically a bunch of people, myself included, raving about the adult care at UNC.

I have gone to UNC for the past 10 years and have been very happy. I recently went to Duke and met the CF doctor there, Dr. Kussin, for a second opinion.

I can tell you, the difference between Duke and UNC is like night and day. The clinic at Duke is very small and intimate. They don't have a CF clinic. Everyone there is nice and knowlegeable, that is the same as UNC.

But UNC has not one but two clinic days. Their infection spreading protocol is more rigorously enforced, I feel. You have a team of doctors who all have input on your care as opposed to one at Duke.

If you have more questions, please PM me.

If I were you, I would go to both and see which you like better. But you are correct, UNC has the far superior adult CF clinic. When it comes to transplant, that is the time to think about going to Duke.

catboogie

Darn! There was a really good post about this a while back and I tried searching but couldn't find it. It was basically a bunch of people, myself included, raving about the adult care at UNC.

I have gone to UNC for the past 10 years and have been very happy. I recently went to Duke and met the CF doctor there, Dr. Kussin, for a second opinion.

I can tell you, the difference between Duke and UNC is like night and day. The clinic at Duke is very small and intimate. They don't have a CF clinic. Everyone there is nice and knowlegeable, that is the same as UNC.

But UNC has not one but two clinic days. Their infection spreading protocol is more rigorously enforced, I feel. You have a team of doctors who all have input on your care as opposed to one at Duke.

If I were you, I would go to both and see which you like better. But you are correct, UNC has the far superior adult CF clinic. When it comes to transplant, that is the time to think about going to Duke.

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

<br />
<br />I have gone to UNC for the past 10 years and have been very happy. I recently went to Duke and met the CF doctor there, Dr. Kussin, for a second opinion.
<br />
<br />I can tell you, the difference between Duke and UNC is like night and day. The clinic at Duke is very small and intimate. They don't have a CF clinic. Everyone there is nice and knowlegeable, that is the same as UNC.
<br />
<br />But UNC has not one but two clinic days. Their infection spreading protocol is more rigorously enforced, I feel. You have a team of doctors who all have input on your care as opposed to one at Duke.
<br />
<br />If you have more questions, please PM me.
<br />
<br />If I were you, I would go to both and see which you like better. But you are correct, UNC has the far superior adult CF clinic. When it comes to transplant, that is the time to think about going to Duke.

C

CFinCalifornia

Wow -- so many rave reviews of UNC! I was online trying to figure out where the adult clinic physically is located, because as it is, the Duke one is still 10 miles from my apt (no biggie, but it's not like it's right on campus.) Anyway, some of the UNC center's websites seemed to be down, so if anyone has the address handy, I'd really appreciate it.

A couple of questions for those in the know: it appears that the pediatrics clinic and adult clinic at UNC are separate facilities -- is this true? I've never had that experience and after years of sitting in kids' waiting rooms, the notion of, well, <i>not </i>is tremendously appealing...

Also, I'd love to hear about the women doctors - I only had a female cf doc for a couple years, but I loved dealing with her and was sad when she left my clinic.

Laura -- kinda funny you should mention the transplant thing because when my mom and I were researching the Duke clinic, it seemed to really be what they were most proud of and that's a service I'm really hoping not to need! But I'd love to hear your thoughts on Kussin (you can pm me if you'd rather) -- I have an appt. to meet him in a couple weeks. And if anyone else has word on Duke, don't be shy! :)

Thanks to all!

C

CFinCalifornia

Wow -- so many rave reviews of UNC! I was online trying to figure out where the adult clinic physically is located, because as it is, the Duke one is still 10 miles from my apt (no biggie, but it's not like it's right on campus.) Anyway, some of the UNC center's websites seemed to be down, so if anyone has the address handy, I'd really appreciate it.

A couple of questions for those in the know: it appears that the pediatrics clinic and adult clinic at UNC are separate facilities -- is this true? I've never had that experience and after years of sitting in kids' waiting rooms, the notion of, well, <i>not </i>is tremendously appealing...

Also, I'd love to hear about the women doctors - I only had a female cf doc for a couple years, but I loved dealing with her and was sad when she left my clinic.

Laura -- kinda funny you should mention the transplant thing because when my mom and I were researching the Duke clinic, it seemed to really be what they were most proud of and that's a service I'm really hoping not to need! But I'd love to hear your thoughts on Kussin (you can pm me if you'd rather) -- I have an appt. to meet him in a couple weeks. And if anyone else has word on Duke, don't be shy! :)

Thanks to all!

C

CFinCalifornia

Thanks to all!

C

CFinCalifornia

Thanks to all!

C

CFinCalifornia

<br />
<br />A couple of questions for those in the know: it appears that the pediatrics clinic and adult clinic at UNC are separate facilities -- is this true? I've never had that experience and after years of sitting in kids' waiting rooms, the notion of, well, <i>not </i>is tremendously appealing...
<br />
<br />Also, I'd love to hear about the women doctors - I only had a female cf doc for a couple years, but I loved dealing with her and was sad when she left my clinic.
<br />
<br />Laura -- kinda funny you should mention the transplant thing because when my mom and I were researching the Duke clinic, it seemed to really be what they were most proud of and that's a service I'm really hoping not to need! But I'd love to hear your thoughts on Kussin (you can pm me if you'd rather) -- I have an appt. to meet him in a couple weeks. And if anyone else has word on Duke, don't be shy! :)
<br />
<br />Thanks to all!