CF Male's fertialty issues Please Help!!

Nikolle

Ok my brother is a 24 year old male with CF he is going through therapy for a lung transplant.. ( gaining weight, meds, etc..) anyway's he called me the other day and told me that his girlfriend is pregnant.. I was in the understanding that male cf's could not or had a very difficult time getting wome pregnant. Is that not the case? does anyone know anything about that?

Nikolle

Ok my brother is a 24 year old male with CF he is going through therapy for a lung transplant.. ( gaining weight, meds, etc..) anyway's he called me the other day and told me that his girlfriend is pregnant.. I was in the understanding that male cf's could not or had a very difficult time getting wome pregnant. Is that not the case? does anyone know anything about that?

Nikolle

Nikolle

Nikolle

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

Infertility is certainly quite prominent amongst males with CF, affecting ~98% or so (guestimate). They generally have something called CBAVD (congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferans). However, it certainly does not affect every male with CF. If the number is 98%, that doesn't mean that there's a 2% chance that each male with CF can impregnate a woman. It means that 2% of them are able to, and 98% are not. If your brother has 2 known CF mutations, any child he produces will get 1 of those mutations. So if a baby is born, and is not a carrier, that would certainly raise suspicion. You certainly have access to a genetics counselor (Ambry genetics) on this website. Your brother should probably consult with one as well as a urologist.

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

Infertility is certainly quite prominent amongst males with CF, affecting ~98% or so (guestimate). They generally have something called CBAVD (congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferans). However, it certainly does not affect every male with CF. If the number is 98%, that doesn't mean that there's a 2% chance that each male with CF can impregnate a woman. It means that 2% of them are able to, and 98% are not. If your brother has 2 known CF mutations, any child he produces will get 1 of those mutations. So if a baby is born, and is not a carrier, that would certainly raise suspicion. You certainly have access to a genetics counselor (Ambry genetics) on this website. Your brother should probably consult with one as well as a urologist.

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,
<br />
<br />Infertility is certainly quite prominent amongst males with CF, affecting ~98% or so (guestimate). They generally have something called CBAVD (congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferans). However, it certainly does not affect every male with CF. If the number is 98%, that doesn't mean that there's a 2% chance that each male with CF can impregnate a woman. It means that 2% of them are able to, and 98% are not. If your brother has 2 known CF mutations, any child he produces will get 1 of those mutations. So if a baby is born, and is not a carrier, that would certainly raise suspicion. You certainly have access to a genetics counselor (Ambry genetics) on this website. Your brother should probably consult with one as well as a urologist.

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

It's no problem at all. Another thing to consider is that many males with CF who do have CBAVD, hence not able to reproduce naturally, do sometimes see reproductive medicine urologists to come up with alternative ways to impregnate their partner with their own DNA. Is it possible your brother could have done this without bothering to tell anybody because it's a pretty sensitive, and sometimes embarrassing subject? You know how big of ego/shame guys can have sometimes. I'm not suggesting that's the case, but stranger things have happened.

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

It's no problem at all. Another thing to consider is that many males with CF who do have CBAVD, hence not able to reproduce naturally, do sometimes see reproductive medicine urologists to come up with alternative ways to impregnate their partner with their own DNA. Is it possible your brother could have done this without bothering to tell anybody because it's a pretty sensitive, and sometimes embarrassing subject? You know how big of ego/shame guys can have sometimes. I'm not suggesting that's the case, but stranger things have happened.

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,

UsualSuspect

Nikolle,
<br />
<br />It's no problem at all. Another thing to consider is that many males with CF who do have CBAVD, hence not able to reproduce naturally, do sometimes see reproductive medicine urologists to come up with alternative ways to impregnate their partner with their own DNA. Is it possible your brother could have done this without bothering to tell anybody because it's a pretty sensitive, and sometimes embarrassing subject? You know how big of ego/shame guys can have sometimes. I'm not suggesting that's the case, but stranger things have happened.