Cf symptoms appearing when breastfeeding/nursing discontinued?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I breastfed my daughter for 3 1/2 years. My daughter showed symptoms before she was born, meconium ileus. I felt similar to you; afraid to wean because I know how good breastfeeding is for the baby. I think any amount of breastfeeding is good, sounds like you are doing your best at keeping the bf going. I doubt there is any scientific data that states symptoms show once bf stops. So much more comes to into play which I'm sure you know. You are doing your best. A suggestion that may sound really odd; there are breast milk banks for sick babys and moms who can't breastfeed. I remember trying to donate pumped breastmilk to them because I had pumped out sooo much when my daughter was born(she couldn't nurse for 2 weeks because of her meconium ileus) Just thought I'ld toss that info out there.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I breastfed my daughter for 3 1/2 years. My daughter showed symptoms before she was born, meconium ileus. I felt similar to you; afraid to wean because I know how good breastfeeding is for the baby. I think any amount of breastfeeding is good, sounds like you are doing your best at keeping the bf going. I doubt there is any scientific data that states symptoms show once bf stops. So much more comes to into play which I'm sure you know. You are doing your best. A suggestion that may sound really odd; there are breast milk banks for sick babys and moms who can't breastfeed. I remember trying to donate pumped breastmilk to them because I had pumped out sooo much when my daughter was born(she couldn't nurse for 2 weeks because of her meconium ileus) Just thought I'ld toss that info out there.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

GriffinsMama

I'm still bf'ing my son at 28 mos and he shows no signs of weaning yet. I also don't want to rush to wean because he's doing so well, has severe insufficiency and is still growing very well. I intend to keep it up for a while yet.

GriffinsMama

I'm still bf'ing my son at 28 mos and he shows no signs of weaning yet. I also don't want to rush to wean because he's doing so well, has severe insufficiency and is still growing very well. I intend to keep it up for a while yet.

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama

LittleMansMom

I do not have CF but I wanted to pipe in that I have been nursing for nearly 14 months and had some things happen that required IV meds etc. Doctors are very poorly informed on what medicines are compatible with nursing and what meds are not and the time frame in which nursing can be resumed. If at all possible consult about what medications you will get ahead of time so you can research them and alternatives. I denied some medicines which would have made my care much more comfortable and simple because the doctors told me they were not compatible, but when I researched them on the lactmed database, I found all of them were considered compatible (especially given that your son is not a newborn).

I hope all goes well for you!

LittleMansMom

I do not have CF but I wanted to pipe in that I have been nursing for nearly 14 months and had some things happen that required IV meds etc. Doctors are very poorly informed on what medicines are compatible with nursing and what meds are not and the time frame in which nursing can be resumed. If at all possible consult about what medications you will get ahead of time so you can research them and alternatives. I denied some medicines which would have made my care much more comfortable and simple because the doctors told me they were not compatible, but when I researched them on the lactmed database, I found all of them were considered compatible (especially given that your son is not a newborn).

LittleMansMom

LittleMansMom

LittleMansMom

grassisgreener

My daughter started showing symptoms when she began eating solids, although we didn't know she had CF then so we didn't know what was going on. She was diagnosed a few months after she weaned, it seemed like she couldn't absorb regular milk nearly as well as breastmilk. She has one DF508. Best wishes, I hope your son does well with the transition!

grassisgreener

My daughter started showing symptoms when she began eating solids, although we didn't know she had CF then so we didn't know what was going on. She was diagnosed a few months after she weaned, it seemed like she couldn't absorb regular milk nearly as well as breastmilk. She has one DF508. Best wishes, I hope your son does well with the transition!

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener