CF thing or not?

JORDYSMOM

Debbi-i sent you a PM back about the ear candles. I thought I would copy my PM to you here so that everyone can see what they are.

The ear candles are a native american remedy for removing fluid and was from the ears. They are basically what they sound like. Kind of scary, I know, but not so once you've used them a couple of times. I had an ear drum burst due to an infection once, and I could not hear a thing out of that ear for months. I was managing a convenience store, and one of my regular customers told me about them. I was skeptical, but she insisted that I come to her house and let her do one on me. I have used them ever since. I didn't gain all of my hearing back in that ear, but a lot of it.

They are made of a cheese cloth like material that is soaked in wax and rolled into a tube. It's small, about the size of a mcdonald's straw. You know a little bigger than normal straws. You basically put one end in your ear and light the other one. Since there is fire involved, I use a paper plate with a small x type hole in the middle of it. I stick the candle through that and have my kiddo lay on the couch and put the candle in his ear. You have to sort of work it around until there is no air getting in around the candle. I have him hold the very bottom gently between his fingers just to hold it upright. The plate is between the flame and his head. I have a little metal bowl of water and a pair of good sharp scissors. As the candle burns down, I cut off the burned part above the flame, and hold the bowl of water next to it to catch it. This is the reason for the plate. Sometimes what you cut might miss the bowl, so you don't want it landing on the person.

I have Jordan take in deep breaths through his nose and out his mouth. Sometimes he will open his mouth and take a big breath in. That helps to pull that smoke into the ear. It basically warms the wax and turns it into a softer form that will travel up and into the "straw" that is the candle. When there is a big chunk of wax that moves up, it sometimes feels like the wax is dripping into the ear, but it is not. It is moving up the candle and burning off. You can look at the candle from the side and see the nasty yellow stuff all along it. Usually, at the end, it has heated the wax enough that bigger amounts will be moving up. I've had to remove the candle and unclog it before because Jordan produces so much wax. It's amazing to me how painless and easy they are to use. I certainly feel that ear candles have prevented many ear infections for my family. We've not had one since we started using them. Sometimes you have to do two before all of the deep down stuff comes up. It seems to move up and out of the ear for a day or two after doing the candle too.

I buy them at health food stores. They are about $25.00 for a dozen. They come wrapped in white paper like they wrap meat in at the butcher shop. At least that's how it is here. They come in bees wax as well as white wax. I've tried both, but prefer the white wax. They just seem to be more durable (made better) and they are a bit smaller around than the bees wax ones. My family swears by them. I hope you can find them in your area.

Stacey

Edited to add that I think that people who have chronic sinus problems produce more wax. It may not be a "CF thing", but Jordan has a TON of sinus issues. All of my kids produce an abundance of ear wax, and most people in my family do as well. Someone above mentioned that it was genetic. I believe it.

JORDYSMOM

Debbi-i sent you a PM back about the ear candles. I thought I would copy my PM to you here so that everyone can see what they are.

The ear candles are a native american remedy for removing fluid and was from the ears. They are basically what they sound like. Kind of scary, I know, but not so once you've used them a couple of times. I had an ear drum burst due to an infection once, and I could not hear a thing out of that ear for months. I was managing a convenience store, and one of my regular customers told me about them. I was skeptical, but she insisted that I come to her house and let her do one on me. I have used them ever since. I didn't gain all of my hearing back in that ear, but a lot of it.

They are made of a cheese cloth like material that is soaked in wax and rolled into a tube. It's small, about the size of a mcdonald's straw. You know a little bigger than normal straws. You basically put one end in your ear and light the other one. Since there is fire involved, I use a paper plate with a small x type hole in the middle of it. I stick the candle through that and have my kiddo lay on the couch and put the candle in his ear. You have to sort of work it around until there is no air getting in around the candle. I have him hold the very bottom gently between his fingers just to hold it upright. The plate is between the flame and his head. I have a little metal bowl of water and a pair of good sharp scissors. As the candle burns down, I cut off the burned part above the flame, and hold the bowl of water next to it to catch it. This is the reason for the plate. Sometimes what you cut might miss the bowl, so you don't want it landing on the person.

I have Jordan take in deep breaths through his nose and out his mouth. Sometimes he will open his mouth and take a big breath in. That helps to pull that smoke into the ear. It basically warms the wax and turns it into a softer form that will travel up and into the "straw" that is the candle. When there is a big chunk of wax that moves up, it sometimes feels like the wax is dripping into the ear, but it is not. It is moving up the candle and burning off. You can look at the candle from the side and see the nasty yellow stuff all along it. Usually, at the end, it has heated the wax enough that bigger amounts will be moving up. I've had to remove the candle and unclog it before because Jordan produces so much wax. It's amazing to me how painless and easy they are to use. I certainly feel that ear candles have prevented many ear infections for my family. We've not had one since we started using them. Sometimes you have to do two before all of the deep down stuff comes up. It seems to move up and out of the ear for a day or two after doing the candle too.

I buy them at health food stores. They are about $25.00 for a dozen. They come wrapped in white paper like they wrap meat in at the butcher shop. At least that's how it is here. They come in bees wax as well as white wax. I've tried both, but prefer the white wax. They just seem to be more durable (made better) and they are a bit smaller around than the bees wax ones. My family swears by them. I hope you can find them in your area.

Stacey

Edited to add that I think that people who have chronic sinus problems produce more wax. It may not be a "CF thing", but Jordan has a TON of sinus issues. All of my kids produce an abundance of ear wax, and most people in my family do as well. Someone above mentioned that it was genetic. I believe it.

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

Emily65Roses

I clean my ears and they're generally pretty "empty" but they do itch like hell. No matter how much I try to clean them, I feel like there's something itchy in there. Heh.

Emily65Roses

I clean my ears and they're generally pretty "empty" but they do itch like hell. No matter how much I try to clean them, I feel like there's something itchy in there. Heh.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

MOME2RT

reece has a ton of ear wax too! i swear i clean them out....he had a BAD experience with the resident trying to "clean" them out when he was about 2!!! Using the hook thing....they made him bleed!!!! they had him in a papoose & everything....it was horrible watching them lay on my baby like that just to get some wax out.

now his cf doc writes in the chart...DO NOT MESS WITH HIS EARS!!!!!!!

MOME2RT

reece has a ton of ear wax too! i swear i clean them out....he had a BAD experience with the resident trying to "clean" them out when he was about 2!!! Using the hook thing....they made him bleed!!!! they had him in a papoose & everything....it was horrible watching them lay on my baby like that just to get some wax out.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT