CFRD in toddlers

Alyssa

My thoughts have already been expressed -- get the "hat" for the toilet seat and put the sterile cup inside it (they don't have a flat bottom so you would probably have to tape it on the outside of the cup just until you had the collection. Or maybe a child's potty chair might work better than the hat for the seat - just put the collection container in the bottom of the bucket of the potty bucket - it won't matter what doesn't get into the cup - just what does.

I would also suspect a UTI -- the collection should cover that question.

I also think the 2 hour glucose testing would be a good idea - if you could get her to drink the nasty tasting stuff.

Alyssa

My thoughts have already been expressed -- get the "hat" for the toilet seat and put the sterile cup inside it (they don't have a flat bottom so you would probably have to tape it on the outside of the cup just until you had the collection. Or maybe a child's potty chair might work better than the hat for the seat - just put the collection container in the bottom of the bucket of the potty bucket - it won't matter what doesn't get into the cup - just what does.

I also think the 2 hour glucose testing would be a good idea - if you could get her to drink the nasty tasting stuff.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Foody

Of course you should check things our if you're concerned. I would just add also to what other moms said about peeing all the time while potty training. My oldest seemed to go every 10-15 minutes all day for quite sometime while learning to go. I think once she became aware of it all she wanted to drink more and watch what happened. It took months before she could hold it and wait. By around 3 she could hold and must have lost her fascination with it. Our son did this as well but for less time since we didn't start until almost 3 with him. It may just be weird toddler behavior.

Sincerely,

Foody

Of course you should check things our if you're concerned. I would just add also to what other moms said about peeing all the time while potty training. My oldest seemed to go every 10-15 minutes all day for quite sometime while learning to go. I think once she became aware of it all she wanted to drink more and watch what happened. It took months before she could hold it and wait. By around 3 she could hold and must have lost her fascination with it. Our son did this as well but for less time since we didn't start until almost 3 with him. It may just be weird toddler behavior.

Sincerely,

Foody

Sincerely,

Foody

Sincerely,

Foody

Sincerely,

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Shortly after DS was potty trained, his preschool called to see if maybe he needed to be tested because he'd had a couple accidents shortly after going potty. Took him in for blood and urine test and he was fine. His doctor did ask if we used bubble bath, thought he could possibly have irritation from that...

What we think may have happened was the kids at preschool were all getting ready to graduate from the oscar room to the big bird room and they were telling them about how they were going to be big kids and DS got a little nervous about it. He's usually not fearful of things like that, but he just wasn't too thrilled about it at the time -- maybe he just liked his teacher so much that he didn't want a new one... Hasn't happened since.

Oh and potty training -- bleah! If he had to pee, it meant right then, right now. Don't know HOW many times we were out somewhere and he'd have accidents. That and he LOVED going to the bathroom a zillion times.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Shortly after DS was potty trained, his preschool called to see if maybe he needed to be tested because he'd had a couple accidents shortly after going potty. Took him in for blood and urine test and he was fine. His doctor did ask if we used bubble bath, thought he could possibly have irritation from that...

What we think may have happened was the kids at preschool were all getting ready to graduate from the oscar room to the big bird room and they were telling them about how they were going to be big kids and DS got a little nervous about it. He's usually not fearful of things like that, but he just wasn't too thrilled about it at the time -- maybe he just liked his teacher so much that he didn't want a new one... Hasn't happened since.

Oh and potty training -- bleah! If he had to pee, it meant right then, right now. Don't know HOW many times we were out somewhere and he'd have accidents. That and he LOVED going to the bathroom a zillion times.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Luke08

Hi, I just wanted to add my opinion - which seems to differ from most of your replies. We noticed our son (waiting on Ambry Genetics CF results) who is 20 mos. was peeing and drinking a lot. We too, assumed it was normal. After a few weeks of this, he almost died. He went into ketoacidosis and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My point is, you're the parent, which means - you're the advocate. Get tests done sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

Luke08

Hi, I just wanted to add my opinion - which seems to differ from most of your replies. We noticed our son (waiting on Ambry Genetics CF results) who is 20 mos. was peeing and drinking a lot. We too, assumed it was normal. After a few weeks of this, he almost died. He went into ketoacidosis and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My point is, you're the parent, which means - you're the advocate. Get tests done sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

Luke08

Luke08

Luke08