Chest pains

soderick

I have been having a fairly consistent dull ache in my upper-left chest/shoulder area. I'm not used to lung pain being dull...usually it's more sharp and sudden. Does anyone else have this type of pain? I know that the brain can misread nerve communications from the lower lungs and think they're coming from the shoulder (this has happened to me and someone else I know, and it was an ache), which could also be the case.

This may be a stretch, but I have a very fast heartbeat (90-100 bpm at rest), which has always been the case, and most doctors and nurses simply dismiss it. The fact that the pain is close to my heart makes me wonder. I might be making way too many connections, but I was just curious if anyone else has any ideas. Is there any reason to think that elevated heart rate is related to CF? And, is this something serious, or can this rate be healthy?

soderick

I have been having a fairly consistent dull ache in my upper-left chest/shoulder area. I'm not used to lung pain being dull...usually it's more sharp and sudden. Does anyone else have this type of pain? I know that the brain can misread nerve communications from the lower lungs and think they're coming from the shoulder (this has happened to me and someone else I know, and it was an ache), which could also be the case.

This may be a stretch, but I have a very fast heartbeat (90-100 bpm at rest), which has always been the case, and most doctors and nurses simply dismiss it. The fact that the pain is close to my heart makes me wonder. I might be making way too many connections, but I was just curious if anyone else has any ideas. Is there any reason to think that elevated heart rate is related to CF? And, is this something serious, or can this rate be healthy?

soderick

soderick

soderick

<br />
<br />This may be a stretch, but I have a very fast heartbeat (90-100 bpm at rest), which has always been the case, and most doctors and nurses simply dismiss it. The fact that the pain is close to my heart makes me wonder. I might be making way too many connections, but I was just curious if anyone else has any ideas. Is there any reason to think that elevated heart rate is related to CF? And, is this something serious, or can this rate be healthy?

MicheleGazelle

I can't answer any of the questions you have asked but I do take co-q-10 in the morning for heart support. (It needs to be taken about 12 hours or so before bedtime so it doesn't keep you up at night.) Sea salt also seems to help the heart -- probably helps support the electrical impulse stuff.

EDIT:

Well, I do have one thought. I think my irregular heart rate was from strep settling in my heart as a kid. So, to the degree that infection can affect the heart, I can see a CF connection that way.

Good luck getting answers.

MicheleGazelle

I can't answer any of the questions you have asked but I do take co-q-10 in the morning for heart support. (It needs to be taken about 12 hours or so before bedtime so it doesn't keep you up at night.) Sea salt also seems to help the heart -- probably helps support the electrical impulse stuff.

EDIT:

Well, I do have one thought. I think my irregular heart rate was from strep settling in my heart as a kid. So, to the degree that infection can affect the heart, I can see a CF connection that way.

MicheleGazelle

EDIT:

MicheleGazelle

EDIT:

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />
<br />EDIT:
<br />
<br />Well, I do have one thought. I think my irregular heart rate was from strep settling in my heart as a kid. So, to the degree that infection can affect the heart, I can see a CF connection that way.
<br />
<br />Good luck getting answers.

Ready2Dance

My doctor once told that me that people with lung disease typically have a higher heart rate. This is because the lungs don't oxygenate the blood well so the heart has to work harder to try and compensate. Think of it like filling a bath tub. You need to fill it in 5 minutes but have 2 different cups. A big cup represents normal lungs that are clear and a small cup that represents diseased lungs. You'd have to move faster to fill the tub with the smaller cup. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but that explains the heart thing.

As for the lung, I'm not sure... I've had pain like that before but my doctors always connect any pain the chest to pleurisy. Kinda frustrating!

Best of luck with getting an answer on that!!

Ready2Dance

My doctor once told that me that people with lung disease typically have a higher heart rate. This is because the lungs don't oxygenate the blood well so the heart has to work harder to try and compensate. Think of it like filling a bath tub. You need to fill it in 5 minutes but have 2 different cups. A big cup represents normal lungs that are clear and a small cup that represents diseased lungs. You'd have to move faster to fill the tub with the smaller cup. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but that explains the heart thing.

As for the lung, I'm not sure... I've had pain like that before but my doctors always connect any pain the chest to pleurisy. Kinda frustrating!

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

<br />
<br />As for the lung, I'm not sure... I've had pain like that before but my doctors always connect any pain the chest to pleurisy. Kinda frustrating!
<br />
<br />Best of luck with getting an answer on that!!

jenr

I don't know about connections with the fast heartrate, but last summer I started having a constant ache in my left shoulder area. I actually dismissed it for awhile as a pulled muscle (I have really healthy lungs, thanks goodness), but I started coughing ALOT. Then suddenly one night it started hurting to take a breath.

I called the hospital and they told me to come in because it could be a pneumothorax, then after I got there they thought i could just have pneumonia. (this was at the ER and they were not CF doctors) They did chest x-rays and it turned out that I had a MRSA abcess in my lung.

I don't want to freak you out at all, this is super rare! Just letting you know that there are several things it could be. Since my abcess was cleared up I still have the dull ache in my shoulder area. I don't know if this is residual from the abcess...Dr says it's probably just mucus plugs which can hurt.

Sorry that's a really long story. Needless to say I would tell your doctor about the shoulder pains it's better to be safe. I wish I hadn't put off going. Hope this helps atleast some.

jenr

I don't know about connections with the fast heartrate, but last summer I started having a constant ache in my left shoulder area. I actually dismissed it for awhile as a pulled muscle (I have really healthy lungs, thanks goodness), but I started coughing ALOT. Then suddenly one night it started hurting to take a breath.

I called the hospital and they told me to come in because it could be a pneumothorax, then after I got there they thought i could just have pneumonia. (this was at the ER and they were not CF doctors) They did chest x-rays and it turned out that I had a MRSA abcess in my lung.

I don't want to freak you out at all, this is super rare! Just letting you know that there are several things it could be. Since my abcess was cleared up I still have the dull ache in my shoulder area. I don't know if this is residual from the abcess...Dr says it's probably just mucus plugs which can hurt.

Sorry that's a really long story. Needless to say I would tell your doctor about the shoulder pains it's better to be safe. I wish I hadn't put off going. Hope this helps atleast some.

jenr

jenr

jenr

<br />
<br />I called the hospital and they told me to come in because it could be a pneumothorax, then after I got there they thought i could just have pneumonia. (this was at the ER and they were not CF doctors) They did chest x-rays and it turned out that I had a MRSA abcess in my lung.
<br />
<br />I don't want to freak you out at all, this is super rare! Just letting you know that there are several things it could be. Since my abcess was cleared up I still have the dull ache in my shoulder area. I don't know if this is residual from the abcess...Dr says it's probably just mucus plugs which can hurt.
<br />
<br />Sorry that's a really long story. Needless to say I would tell your doctor about the shoulder pains it's better to be safe. I wish I hadn't put off going. Hope this helps atleast some.